Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Just another data point, anecdotal of course. Skied all day at mammoth today on a set of zeds, and they performed flawlessly. Flat landings, hard carves, steeps, a few chattery areas, dead stops from speed... so far so good. The snow was really nice but still, I showed them no mercy. After seeing this post, I wanted to put them through the wringer. I like the low/zero ramp angle and the heel feels a bit more present than my plum guides. Was using tecnica zero g pro tour boots and black crows navis freebird 185 (102mm wide). Helluva nice 3 days out there since Friday too.

Sent from my VS988 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Has there been any update on this? I'm surely not the only one curious.
    G3 has the broken heels and I expect we'll hear from them once they're done with the forensics.

Quote Originally Posted by iTomahawk View Post
    Just another data point, anecdotal of course. Skied all day at mammoth today on a set of zeds, and they performed flawlessly. Flat landings, hard carves, steeps, a few chattery areas, dead stops from speed... so far so good. The snow was really nice but still, I showed them no mercy. After seeing this post, I wanted to put them through the wringer. I like the low/zero ramp angle and the heel feels a bit more present than my plum guides. Was using tecnica zero g pro tour boots and black crows navis freebird 185 (102mm wide). Helluva nice 3 days out there since Friday too.

Sent from my VS988 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ZGTP boots and Zeds? Did santa come early? You got all the new swag

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Buy used mount your own skis build a quiver

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Every year that I teched, I worked Thanksgiving, so theres that. I suspect that the places I worked weren't the only shops open.
    Seems like G3 is on it and maybe expecting them to be replaced before the weekend, 4/5 days after breakage is a little too much to expect, no?
    Dis

Buy used mount your own skis build a quiver

Quote Originally Posted by iTomahawk View Post
    Just another data point, anecdotal of course.
    And another sample of one... with just a single day on mine. Got them from G3 just after they became publicly available, so they're theoretically from the same early batch as hafjell, also sans brakes. Skied from Camp Muir on Sunday -- conditions were easy on the bindings: cold temps kept the soft snow dry and low vis kept the speeds down. Great first impression -- they felt super solid and skied well. Even enjoyed an appropriate double release after botching some slow speed rock dodging. Currently stoked on them and looking forward to seeing how they hold up to seasons of touring (6'4" 185lbs, Seekr 110s, Maestrale RS2).

Glad you had a good day. I’m only 15 pounds heavier. Hmmm. What’s your BSL?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    What’s your BSL?
    322mm (Size 29 Maestrale RS)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpringle View Post
    322mm (Size 29 Maestrale RS)
    Hmmm. I'm slightly heavier and ride a slightly longer boot. G3 said weight and boot size weren't factors. Maybe they're right?

My bud just broke both heel pieces on his shifts skiing slow into man made slush/glue. Gleaming!!

Pics?
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post
    My bud just broke both heel pieces on his shifts skiing slow into man made slush/glue. Gleaming!!

Post this and pics in shift thread

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Post this and pics in shift thread
    Yah let's get pitchforks!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Yah let's get pitchforks!
    I was thinking tar 'n' feather

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6213.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	529.0 KB 
ID:	258769Just got his permission. Having dramas uploading the pic...done

Thanks Pembyguy

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post

I'm not following gleaming

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyWood View Post
    I'm not following gleaming
    Sarcasmcopter.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Sarcasmcopter.
    Correct

https://www.genuineguidegear.com/lif...rvice-bulletin

We recently learned about a ZED user who experienced a product failure. Everyone at G3 takes any product failure very seriously and we were as surprised as everyone about the incident. It is clear from details the user provided directly to G3 that his bindings were not installed correctly and this clearly lead to the failure. Neither a ski brake nor the stomp pad had been installed at the time of breakage. Without either of these two required components, the loads generated may not be supported adequately. G3 replaced the user’s bindings nonetheless and we believe he is now back on his skis enjoying the snow. We have not heard of any other instances of this sort of failure.Being deeply curious about these things, we looked at this incident further and we uncovered some interesting facts. After collecting data on 32 models of alpine touring ski boots we noticed there were some big discrepancies in boot sole height when measured from the tech insert at the heel. We were unaware there are many alpine touring ski boots in the market that do not conform to the recognized industrial norm for positioning tech inserts in their boots.

Further, we did testing in the lab and found that there should be no binding durability issues with AT boots when the ZED binding is used with the ZED ski brake, despite many boots being out of the ski boot norm. The issue being that if a ski boot sole is too “thin”, it may not be adequately supported by the binding to withstand a significant downward force that may occur. Our lab tests show there should be ideally a maximum 1.5 mm gap between the ski boot sole and ski brake or stomp pad when unweighted.

When we reviewed and tested the ZED binding configured with a stomp pad we did uncover a potential issue if the binding is used in conjunction with ski boots falling outside of the acceptable ski boot dimensions of the industry norm. Given these non-conforming boots are in the market, we also tested for a hypothetical scenario where a larger than normal skier, using non- conforming boots, creating abnormally high loads such as from unusually high jumps, landing flat on very firm conditions and in very cold temperatures. In this almost-worst case scenario, the user may generate enough force to damage the binding.

To address the potential scenario where non-conforming boots are used with the ZED binding, G3 has developed two additional stomp pad height options which will be available on December 19, 2018. The optional stomp pads will be 1.5 mm and 3.0 mm higher than the standard ZED stomp pad that has shipped with all currently available ZED bindings. These additional items should address any outstanding sizing needs at this time.

The current stomp pad, included with all ZED bindings, will be the correct solution for most boots that fall within the industry norm. But if you have more than 1.5mm of distance between the stomp pad and the heel of your boot (unweighted while on the ski bench) the stomp pads with additional heights of 1.5mm or 3mm are recommended. To determine which stomp pad should be installed there will be a ‘no go’ gauge, included with the stomp pad kit, to easily determine which of the three stomp pads should be used. Simply put, the gauge is a 1.5 mm thick piece of plastic (think popsicle stick) that either slides easily under the heel of the boot or doesn’t. If it doesn’t, you’re good to go. If it does, try the next higher stomp pad until the gauge no longer easily slides under the boot. It’s quite straightforward to check and install the correct stomp pad on the ZED.

With the correct installation of either ZED brakes or stomp pads, the ZED binding can be skied in very demanding conditions and scenarios.

Let us repeat for clarity:

If you have purchased ZED bindings and ski the binding with brakes you need not consider any changes.The ski brake works with current tech compatible boots.
    If you plan to ski the ZED binding with stomp pads, we recommend you check the gap between your boot sole and the stomp pad and install the correct stomp pad height.
    If you have any questions or concerns please contact your retailer, G3 directly at service@genuineguidegear.com or review materials at www.genuineguidegear.com.

Anyone requiring additional stomp pad options will be sent a ZED stomp pad kit, instructions and the installation gauge at no charge.We appreciate the ski touring community and the engagement on this and other topics. If you have additional questions please reach out to us by email.

Just when you though pintech could not more fiddly! Measure your heel before each use.

Ha ha...but that's not what it says.

So, the stomp pad?

For the record:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...74#post5504074
    I swear on my glass eye,

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    Just when you though pintech could not more fiddly! Measure your heel before each use.
    Boots are fucked up. There is no standard for where the pin sits in the toe height-wise. There is no standard for where the heelpiece sits on the heel heightwise. There is no standard for the shape of the toe-box. It's a freaking nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Boots are fucked up. There is no standard for where the pin sits in the toe height-wise. There is no standard for where the heelpiece sits on the heel heightwise. There is no standard for the shape of the toe-box. It's a freaking nightmare
    love how this thread has brought out the 1 post jongs
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    love how this thread has brought out the 1 post jongs
    I lol'd.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point