Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    Is there a list of conforming boots? Are Technica Zero G Tour Pros conforming?

its obvious BS eh

actualy come to think about it I have been thinking about it for MANY years, the fact that AT boot heels have never touched anything I took as obvious proof that a stomp pad wasnt necessary except to put out a fire
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Is there a list of conforming boots? Are Technica Zero G Tour Pros conforming?
    Mine aren’t, significantly >1.5mm

What’s the current? Missed like 10 pages admittedly.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    What’s the current? Missed like 10 pages admittedly.
    I am on day 14 of my Zeds, a mixed bag of touring and resort including some high speed icy groomers and some decent air. Despite SJG's doomsday warnings I have yet to explode into a fireball of death.
    Close inspections reveal all is good in the hood.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I am on day 14 of my Zeds, a mixed bag of touring and resort including some high speed icy groomers and some decent air. Despite SJG's doomsday warnings I have yet to explode into a fireball of death.
    You’re gonna die.

IIRC, the OP got about 6 inches of air, jumping to clear a small water bar.

Give that a try.

That oughtta do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    IIRC, the OP got about 6 inches of air, jumping to clear a small water bar.

Give that a try.

That oughtta do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    You’re gonna die.
    Standby I will give it the 6” water jump beta test tomorrow- Meadow Skipper is most likely right - that water jump is going to kill me.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Just be sure your "stomp pad" is properly calibrated before going that big..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Classic tinfoil tech binding thread here. Love it.

Just so we cover all the bases. What skis did OP have these mounted on? Some type of super low weight noodles?

Crazy ski flex + "non-conforming" boots + crappy 1st gen suspect plastic heelpiece - super duper essential stomp pad = doubt heel piece explosion?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Classic tinfoil tech binding thread here. Love it.

Just so we cover all the bases. What skis did OP have these mounted on? Some type of super low weight noodles?

Crazy ski flex + "non-conforming" boots + crappy 1st gen suspect plastic heelpiece - super duper essential stomp pad = doubt heel piece explosion?

I don't think it helps that 1) G3's response to this was quite obviously a load which is definitely magnified if OP is to be believed about what the G3 engineer told him, and 2) the stomp pad even from the start looks like afterthought engineering again amplified by the fact that all of G3's promotional materials for the Zed when used brakeless conspicuously did not have the stomp pad present.

Yeah, stomp pad seems like a late in the game band aid once they started to see heel piece explosions in testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pass Rat View Post
    I don't think it helps that 1) G3's response to this was quite obviously a load which is definitely magnified if OP is to be believed about what the G3 engineer told him, and 2) the stomp pad even from the start looks like afterthought engineering again amplified by the fact that all of G3's promotional materials for the Zed when used brakeless conspicuously did not have the stomp pad present.
    Thanks for repeating the same thing I could read over and over again in the last 12 pages of conspiracy.

I'd like to see testimonials from anyone who bought Zens AFTER reading this thread instead of trying to defend the purchase they made BEFORE it came to night that some are failing in the field catastrophically.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'd like to see testimonials from anyone who bought Zens AFTER reading this thread instead of trying to defend the purchase they made BEFORE it came to night that some are failing in the field catastrophically.
    Oh? Because you were considering buying some?

Oh? Because you were considering buying some?
    Oh? Are you, or did you already???

Does it count that I bought another pair after reading this. Now I have a pair and my wife has a pair. I kind of wonder as well why you are so passionate about this thread? How much daily touring you getting out there in the Carolina gnar? What touring binder are you currently skiing on?

Does it count that I bought another pair after reading this. Now I have a pair and my wife has a pair. I kind of wonder as well why you are so passionate about this thread? How much daily touring you getting out there in the Carolina gnar? What touring binder are you currently skiing on?
    i ski mostly used thrift store gear. You're the one who is so passionate. I'm just echoing what's already been posted about how sketchy it seems that those things disintegrated even without that plastic brace that supposedly is never touched anyway. Carry on. It's your money and your body.

Yeah IDK, customer service being great is not a reason I would buy a binder which randomly exploded. Luckily OP was is a low consequence area.

Imagine being a couple turns into a hanging snowfield over a 100ft cliff and your binders explode.

How many pairs of binders you think are made per run at the factory? 1000? More?

They can hem and haw all they want. I'm just an armchair dental engineer, but I saw the photos in the OP and immediately thought, "Shit batch of plastic.....whole run of binders needs to be scrapped."

Oh? Are you, or did you already???
    That wasn't a very good dodge. But yeah, I was thinking about it. I was trying to figure what your interest in this is. I could be wrong but I don't recall you ever showing any interest in touring gear. I tour a fair amount. I have Ions and Dynafits and NTN gear that I tour on.

i ski mostly used thrift store gear. You're the one who is so passionate. I'm just echoing what's already been posted about how sketchy it seems that those things disintegrated even without that plastic brace that supposedly is never touched anyway. Carry on. It's your money and your body.
    So, you're just kind of a shit-stirrer here?

That wasn't a very good dodge. But yeah, I was thinking about it. I was trying to figure what your interest in this is. I could be wrong but I don't recall you ever showing any interest in touring gear. I tour a fair amount. I have Ions and Dynafits and NTN gear that I tour on.

So, you're just kind of a shit-stirrer here?
    As mentioned elsewhere, I feel it's worthwhile to try to talk people out of suicide, even random strangers. I hope you decide to wait a year or two before buying that model if ever. If that's being a shit stirrer, guilty as charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Völkl BMTs. Too light weight for pin tech bindings if I’m 200 lbs?

Thanks for repeating the same thing I could read over and over again in the last 12 pages of conspiracy.
    What’s your assessment of the failure?

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    What’s your assessment of the failure?
    If I had to hazard a guess i would think a bad run of composite material. Especially given they failed on the maiden voyage. Which is why i have been hammering my pairs hard making sure they wont fail catastrophically and then examine them for any signs of material fatigue after every use. I really like the binding and the light weight is a game change for my ever aging legs so I’m going to cautiously roll with them. Sorry I am not adding to the hysteria and shit stirring. But hey I’m only an engineer, not a dentist.

If I had to hazard a guess i would think a bad run of composite material. Especially given they failed on the maiden voyage. Which is why i have been hammering my pairs hard making sure they wont fail catastrophically and then examine them for any signs of material fatigue after every use. I really like the binding and the light weight is a game change for my ever aging legs so I’m going to cautiously roll with them. Sorry I am not adding to the hysteria and shit stirring. But hey I’m only an engineer, not a dentist.
    Thanks for the honesty. TGR gets a bad rap especially on TGR but I’ve been impressed with the number of engineers who have stepped forward to ask clarifying questions, point out inconsistencies on both sides and provide knowledgeable comment. Good luck.