Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 335
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    472
    After a 30 minute call with the engineer at G3 last night, I awoke to find an email detailing next steps. Return, replacement or swap is still up to me.
    They are thinking the stomp pad was not installed. I sent a photo of the carpet test the night before and that seemed conclusive.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,503
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. G3 is Canada's version of AMF. They do have good ideas and such, but always seem cheddarbuilt.
    I've already pretty much written off G3 products, this definitely does not help that. Even with CS stepping up, cuz really, I don't want to get to know you guys(at least not in that setting)

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    whistler
    Posts
    829
    what a bloodbath. they're handling it better than marker but it's still a bad scene. A few more reports of same will elevate it to dumpster fire in a hurry.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    9,923
    Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    ...They are thinking the stomp pad was not installed. I sent a photo of the carpet test the night before and that seemed conclusive.
    Well then...
    I swear on my glass eye,

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    the heart of Pennsyltucky
    Posts
    3,848
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I have more bro cred.
    isn’t this guy the one who posted a pic of his nut sack on here? if so i’d say the above statement would be difficult to overrule

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,076
    Wondering from an engineering standpoint how the stomp pad would contribute to heel turret integrity? Checking out the wildsnow report on the Zed, it states and shows in pics that the the ski boot heel remains suspended in free air above the stomp pad by either the pins in dh mode or the antiautorotate tab in touring mode. I just kinda assumed its function was more for some kind of anti snow buildup shield/guard for the antiautorotate component.
    What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    After a 30 minute call with the engineer at G3 last night, I awoke to find an email detailing next steps. Return, replacement or swap is still up to me.
    They are thinking the stomp pad was not installed. I sent a photo of the carpet test the night before and that seemed conclusive.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    By conclusive you mean that the stomp pad was not installed, correct?

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Wondering from an engineering standpoint how the stomp pad would contribute to heel turret integrity? Checking out the wildsnow report on the Zed, it states and shows in pics that the the ski boot heel remains suspended in free air above the stomp pad by either the pins in dh mode or the antiautorotate tab in touring mode. I just kinda assumed its function was more for some kind of anti snow buildup shield/guard for the antiautorotate component.
    This was along the lines of what I was thinking. I can see the logic that stomp pad acts as a sort of "bottom out" protection after you flex the ski enough to take up that gap. But given a) that gap between stomp pads and boot will vary based on boot design and b) many tech heels don't require such a bottom out protection...that explanation is still sort of underwhelming.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    39,910
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    isn’t this guy the one who posted a pic of his nut sack on here? if so i’d say the above statement would be difficult to overrule
    yes
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    2,107
    Sudden and catastrophic failure when used without the brake or other 3/8ths inch pad under the boot seems indicative of bigger materials or design flaws to me as well. We all know this stuff gets more brittle with age and extreme temperature exposure. Will be interesting to see how these reservations and objections are answered by the vendor. Did they already know this was a problem early on and thus, ADDED the stomp pad for no brake installations? Or, are they also completely cold cocked by the revelations that the component which many would consider optional is, in fact way more mandatory than it should be??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    This was along the lines of what I was thinking. I can see the logic that stomp pad acts as a sort of "bottom out" protection after you flex the ski enough to take up that gap. But given a) that gap between stomp pads and boot will vary based on boot design and b) many tech heels don't require such a bottom out protection...that explanation is still sort of underwhelming.
    Agree on this. I used G3 Ions non-LT version with removed brake for couple of trips until I figured how to bend them and assemble. Without stomp pad heel is indeed in the air. Never affected how they skied nor how they released even though I really abused them by skiing inbounds, dropping cliffs. I have the latest 2018 version. I realize it's not the way they are supposed to be used. But just my 5 cents.

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Beer:30
    Posts
    5,855
    I haven't had a warranty issue with G3 but the one time I needed to contact their customer service they treated me very well.
    I'm not a dick and I don't recall ever posting a photo of my nutsack though so not sure my experience matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    By conclusive you mean that the stomp pad was not installed, correct?
    Correct. I write "seemed" because the photo I sent was taken in low light and was a bit grainy. I couldn't tell; he said without hesitation that it wasn't installed.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    473
    I get that this is all currently in the works, but once G3 is able to take a look at the binding pieces, I'd be very curious to hear how the lack of a stomp pad is connected with this sort of double catastrophic failure.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    3,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    I get that this is all currently in the works, but once G3 is able to take a look at the binding pieces, I'd be very curious to hear how the lack of a stomp pad is connected with this sort of double catastrophic failure.
    It's right in the name bro. How you gonna STOMP without the STOMP pad?

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    This was along the lines of what I was thinking. I can see the logic that stomp pad acts as a sort of "bottom out" protection after you flex the ski enough to take up that gap. But given a) that gap between stomp pads and boot will vary based on boot design and b) many tech heels don't require such a bottom out protection...that explanation is still sort of underwhelming.
    Don't think the engineer was implying anything beyond the shop should have installed the stomp pad if they didn't install brakes. It's not an elective part of the binding.
    Somebody else above said that even without the stomp pad the catastrophic failure is confusing. The engineer would agree with that. He said simply, we have guides skiing 100 days on them who weigh as much as you do, and carry heavier packs, and are airing bigger jumps than you. So he's asked me to ship the bindings back directly to QC at G3.

  17. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    218
    Kinda funny that many vendors, including Skimo, displays the brakeless Zed without stomp pad on their websites. I reckon that'll have to change...

  18. #93
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Don't think the engineer was implying anything beyond the shop should have installed the stomp pad if they didn't install brakes. It's not an elective part of the binding.
    Somebody else above said that even without the stomp pad the catastrophic failure is confusing. The engineer would agree with that. He said simply, we have guides skiing 100 days on them who weigh as much as you do, and carry heavier packs, and are airing bigger jumps than you. So he's asked me to ship the bindings back directly to QC at G3.
    Good to hear that they are looking beyond the fact that the stomp pad wasn't installed correctly.

  19. #94
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,075
    Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    Kinda funny that many vendors, including Skimo, displays the brakeless Zed without stomp pad on their websites. I reckon that'll have to change...
    That's because all the stock images provided from G3 to vendors do not include the stomp pad. Nor does their Zed mounting video mention it when they are talking about installing/not installing brakes.

  20. #95
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    218
    Yeah, but G3 don't have those pics on their own site any longer. Only with pad on the brakeless...

  21. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    2,107
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    That's because all the stock images provided from G3 to vendors do not include the stomp pad. Nor does their Zed mounting video mention it when they are talking about installing/not installing brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    Yeah, but G3 don't have those pics on their own site any longer. Only with pad on the brakeless...
    Might it be that the stomp pad may have been added later when they discovered the incidence of catastrophic failure without them??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  22. #97
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Might it be that the stomp pad may have been added later when they discovered the incidence of catastrophic failure without them??
    I don't get that sense from the engineers.

  23. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Good to hear that they are looking beyond the fact that the stomp pad wasn't installed correctly.
    Absolutely. Last night on the phone I was the annoying guy who knows nothing and is still offering all sorts of possible explanations and suggestions. When I suggested that the stomp pad installed would solve all problems, he said, essentially, "yeah, it shouldn't have failed catastrophically so something else is up." He was way more nervous that I wouldn't send them back or that I would send them back to the wrong department than what kind of a refund or exchange I wanted. In his mind, any exchange or replacement was assumed.

  24. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kilpisjärvi, Finland
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Agree on this. I used G3 Ions non-LT version with removed brake for couple of trips until I figured how to bend them and assemble. Without stomp pad heel is indeed in the air. Never affected how they skied nor how they released even though I really abused them by skiing inbounds, dropping cliffs. I have the latest 2018 version. I realize it's not the way they are supposed to be used. But just my 5 cents.
    I skied Atk bindings with and without their "stomp pads". Pad makes noticeable difference on hard snow. With out pad you "loose" tails of your skis compared to pads. Ofcourse to notice this you have to have proper boots.

    Sent from my FIG-LX1 using TGR Forums mobile app

  25. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    472
    They're sending me replacements in time for the weekend. Super easy. When I asked, they cut me off with a yes.
    Going with the Ion LTs, but wish I had a bigger war chest to run two skis and two different bindings as I'd like to try the Zeds properly installed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •