Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Downieville Shuttle For Intermediate 11 Y.O.?

I rode it once, but don't really remember how technical it was (I was on a DH bike in 2001). He has some lift served under his belt at Targhee, Vail, Steamboat, and JH.
    Would this be a good idea?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

He's still made of rubber. No problem.

I took my 13 year old BMX brother on one of his first MTB rides on the "Downieville Downhill" many years ago. He taught me a few things about riding faster by never being on the ground.

Good to hear. I remember it being fast, and thinking "Why the fuck did I bring this DH bike"

Sure, some of it is chunky, but if your kid is riding DH stuff elsewhere, there's nothing really to fear in Downieville. There's some exposure on 2nd, 3rd and 1st Divide(s), but unless he's scared of heights, no problemo.

It's always fun to help someone break their Dville cherry :-)

I forget, how long are the three options?

The Classic route: Sunrise-butcher-third-first is like 15mi. Will not be an issue for an 11 year old. There is one feature, a “waterfall” section about a 3rd of the way in, that most walk through. Other than that it’s hard to get in over your head on that trail, even for an 11yo. He will love it!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

When I was there over labor day a guy was taking his 10 or 11 yo daughter down the classic route. She looked to be having a blast.

Riding shouldn't be a problem but make sure you have his (and your) gear dialed and are prepared for problems. There's a lot of sharp shale that likes to eat tires and if you have a mechanical on Butcher or Third Divide it's a long walk back.

There was a 10-11 year old intermediate on my shuttle last time I went. He did fine. Just walked through some sections.

Definitely some exposure on first and second divide. Don't take him on second - third is one of the best parts and you have to choose between second and third.

It surprised me how hard it was to get a hotel reservation for April 5th, then I remembered the Paradise situation. We got a room in Sparks, shouldn't be too bad of a drive.

Hmm, early April is pretty questionable unless it's a really bad snow year, the top is over 7000 feet (e.g. higher than the base of Squaw). This year Sunrise wasn't free of snow until end of May, last year not until early July.

Oh, crap, I didn't think of that. Any other shuttles you can think of that might work? Reno/Tahoe rides for intermediates?

So, a little OT...anyone recommend a place roughly 1/2 way between LA and San Francisco on the coast where I could find a good trail network to satisfy kiddo and myself (intermediate and advanced?) maybe a shuttle mixed in?

Peavine trails in Reno should be open. And if we have a crappy winter in CA Downieville may be in play.

For the coast I'd check out SLO (San Luis Obispo) and maybe Santa Barbara (if it's not too close to LA). Santa Cruz further north (there's another thread on this).

SLO is an ideal midpoint, but I haven't heard anything about the trails there. Would really love to find some shuttle action for kiddo.
    I met Kathy Ireland at her brewpub in SLO once about a million years ago, she was So. Fucking. Hot.

Santa Barbara trails tend to be advanced to expert. Although Elings Park up on the Mesa is a great spot to take your kid.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

So, I found a shuttle/taxi type deal that will run in SLO the day we will be there, bonus. Anyone ride there?
    Thinking about the next day in Santa Cruz...is that foolish?

You mean going from SLO to SC in the same day? Or what exactly? It's a few hours drive, nothing crazy.

I guess I am enquiring as to whether Santa Cruz is worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I guess I am enquiring as to whether Santa Cruz is worth a visit.
    Yes. The flow trail above Soquel is awesome (especially in the Spring) and not a problem for an intermediate kid. And there's some other fun trails in the area.

You know if there is any way to find a shuttle on a Monday for Soquel?
    I guess I could leave him and ride up, but I don't know if I am comfortable with that just yet.

April is a good time to ride on the coast (including SC). Haven't ridden in SLO but I've heard good things about the riding there.

SC has great riding but it's hard to shuttle unless you have two cars. You can get a shuttle from Aptos to Demo but you still need to do a fair amount of climbing if you want to ride anything at Demo (as opposed to just riding back down the fire road to the coast). If your kid is willing to climb then the Flow trail in Demo is great and April is the perfect time to ride it.

Other options: up Emma McCrary and UConn trails (both are climbs but not too hard), ride around the easier UC trails along the ridge, go back on UConn/Emma or cross over into Wilder Ranch (nice views of the coast) and then back along the bike path to town. Or hit up some of the pump tracks in the area (there's at least 3 in town and more in the area) if your kid is into that sort of thing.

Soquel Demo shuttle: https://www.epicentershuttle.com/

As mentioned it's not a "real" shuttle where you don't have to climb at all, especially if you want to ride Demo. You might call them and ask about the trails and climbing.

Thanks, will do.
    Any shuttling in Reno?

Another central coast option: Fort Ord national monument https://www.blm.gov/visit/fort-ord-national-monument
    If it's rainy half the stuff is old sand dunes that drain really well. If it's not, the other half is open grasslands that are super beautiful in spring. I have ridden there in April through amazing wildflower displays and doing a loop from Toro creek including Goat Trail (41 on the map) is awesome.
    Or if it happens to be mid-april, there is the Sea Otter classic http://www.seaotterclassic.com/
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying