Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Booked a night in Aptos, will ride something with kiddo, and Soquel solo.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I've ridden a bit in SLO. Maybe 2-3 times while visiting spouse's college roommate in Santa Maria. Johnson Ranch (park here: https://tinyurl.com/ya7kqab7) and Irish Hills (park at Costco here: https://tinyurl.com/y9pd4h7g) have some fun stuff that's not too burly for an 11 YO. I recall some fun built-up wooden platform switchbacks on the back side of Johnson Ranch, and then a bunch of well-built flowy trails at Irish Hills. Montana de Oro SP is supposed to be decent too. I haven't ridden there yet, but have been to the very cool tidepools there. Worth a visit before or after a ride.

And then people shuttle the Cuesta Grade too, but not sure if a local shop does it or people self-shuttle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Booked a night in Aptos, will ride something with kiddo, and Soquel solo.
    Keep an eye out for the Safeway with a Starbucks. Right next to that is Aptos Roasting Company and they make really good coffee.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Keep an eye out for the Safeway with a Starbucks. Right next to that is Aptos Roasting Company and they make really good coffee.
    Thanks, that's a good tip. Do you think it would be possible to Uber back up to my truck from the hotel? (Without a bike)

Thanks, that's a good tip. Do you think it would be possible to Uber back up to my truck from the hotel? (Without a bike)
    To clarify: you are ubering from where to where?

From a hotel in Aptos to wherever I would leave a truck for Soquel dh?

From a hotel in Aptos to wherever I would leave a truck for Soquel dh?
    It's about a 40 minute drive, on a shitty skinny little pot-holed and sometimes one-lane road for the last 15-20 minutes or so. Prepare to have your uber rating go down! lol...

You can't really shuttle Flow trail, though, if that's what you mean. A fair amount of the climbing is at the very end up a gravel fire road (that you can't take a car on, I don't believe). See here: https://www.strava.com/activities/1668424867

Note that I only did flow once on this ride and it's "easy" to cut back up for another lap if you want without going all the way around. There's a connector trail part way up the fire road at the end.

https://www.epicentershuttle.com/ - would be cheaper than trying to do it yourself if you're going to do the full road ride back to aptos at the end. Never even thought of that but seems like it could be fun.

I checked them out, but I don't think it would work out to get a solo ride up on a Monday...but I guess if there are other riders by then it would work.

Aptos: the Epicenter / Shuttlesmith Dave shuttle drop is still about a 400-500' vert 2 mile climb from the top of the ridge. The ridge separates Soquel demo from Nisene Marks. Epicenter Cycling is at the bottom of Nisene Marks.

Dropping into Demo from the top, and then climbing back out to descend Nisene, is an option for you, probably not your kid. This makes for a minimum 2500' gross climb that is steep in spots, probably sucks ass pre-puberty. Singletrack descents and fire road climb.

Dropping straight into Nisene after climbing to the top of the ridge is an option for both of you. 12 miles of Fire road from the top and 2.5 miles of bike legal singletrack at the bottom (Aptos Creek Trail) are legal. The fire road is actually quite nice, albeit fast and boring. Good views on a clear day from top and Sand Point lookouts. The Aptos Creek Trail is very scenic. You may see/hear of other descending options through Nisene Marks, but they are not permitted by State Park regulations and thus not much info on the Internet.

Demo only: you cant shuttle it other than on permitted event days. The parking lot is mid-elevation, you can get a ride only to within 400-500' of the top, so you might as well climb the whole thing, then it's a climb out from the bottom! The parking area is also a long drive from Aptos because Demo is on the other side of the coastal ridgeline! If you start early, bring food, take lots of breaks, I bet a healthy 11 year old kid could handle just 1 lap in Demo, on a weekday. The riding from the top to start of Flow has a few deep ruts with steepish step downs but nothing terrifying. Too much high speed traffic on a weekend IMO for a kid.

Santa Cruz: You can do short loops with the kid, Wilder or Univerity area, climb/push till tired then ride back down, see the mid October Cali riding thread.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Ok, I went over my itinerary, and I am looking for a place to stay on the night of April 4th, and hopefully find a good ride for me and kiddo (or two separate rides). I am checking out of San Francisco the morning of the 4th, and checking into Sparks (NV) on the afternoon of the fifth. Can anyone recommend a town with hotels and dry trails that would fit my travel plans?
    Thanks in advance!

Edit: looks like Auburn fits the bill...anyone ride there?

SF Riding

Ok, I went over my itinerary, and I am looking for a place to stay on the night of April 4th, and hopefully find a good ride for me and kiddo (or two separate rides). I am checking out of San Francisco the morning of the 4th, and checking into Sparks (NV) on the afternoon of the fifth. Can anyone recommend a town with hotels and dry trails that would fit my travel plans?
    Thanks in advance!
    If you're in SF and want to ride from here on dry trails, then Mt. Tam fire roads will be more than fine in April; more singletrack go to China Camp with a couple options for more mellow or more interesting (check out the Q's, amongst other trails - Hitler, 7-11, etc.)

Fuck Marin fire roads. Way better options in every other county on the way to Sparks. And yes, Auburn is right on the way.

don't disagree re: Marin fire roads. was a question of riding from / around SF Bay. Of course, way way way better stuff as you head out. Plus, he's w/ the grom so....

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Fuck Marin fire roads. Way better options in every other county on the way to Sparks. And yes, Auburn is right on the way.
    THIS. We might ride in Tamarancho, but that would be it. I lived in Mill Valley in the 90’s...Marin is fuxxored.
    The grom usually rides dh on Teton Pass, Targhee, Teton Village, Vail, Steamboat...we are looking for something a little...spicier?

But thanks for the suggestion, keep em coming!

Downieville Shuttle For Intermediate 11 Y.O.?

Come to Sonoma and I’ll show you the goods at Amnadel Park, since Tahoe will still be snowed in during April.

THIS. We might ride in Tamarancho, but that would be it. I lived in Mill Valley in the 90’s...Marin is fuxxored.
    The grom usually rides dh on Teton Pass, Targhee, Teton Village, Vail, Steamboat...we are looking for something a little...spicier?

But thanks for the suggestion, keep em coming!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmFuJCqMOSY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9lHI5uX9M
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.