Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ^^^ and if it isn't overrated, the crowds are insane.
    Which contributes to it being overrated... amirite?

^^^ yep.

Jerry loves the amenities at the resorts. And honestly, when you are on a family vacation, it is pretty nice to have more than just great skiing. Personally, I'd love to sleep in an RV in the lot and ski my legs off on radgnar terrain (At Baker or Silverton, JH, Squaw, etc)then have two beers before falling asleep. But throw the family into that mix and I NEED a few good bars and restaurants.

Well yeah. The overrated part is due to the expectation. If you don't expect much, you can have a pretty good time. Think minor league baseball games for example.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Honestly, >90% of skiing is overrated. The money perpetual intermediates spend to cruise blue squares at destination resorts blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Jerry loves the amenities at the resorts. And honestly, when you are on a family vacation, it is pretty nice to have more than just great skiing. Personally, I'd love to sleep in an RV in the lot and ski my legs off on radgnar terrain (At Baker or Silverton, JH, Squaw, etc)then have two beers before falling asleep. But throw the family into that mix and I NEED a few good bars and restaurants.
    So... when you're skiing with the family, *you're* Jerry?

NTTAWWT

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    So... when you're skiing with the family, *you're* Jerry?

NTTAWWT

I guess so, I mean honestly it feels that way. As someone who basically avoids greens, blues, and crowds as a mantra, it is pretty weird to flip that around and have to hang with mom skiing greens for a day. But I don't mind good bars and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Honestly, >90% of skiing is overrated. The money perpetual intermediates spend to cruise blue squares at destination resorts blows my mind.
    So what the fuck else are they going to do? I see this all the time with people who buy a second home and come visit it on weekends and fucking mow the lawn there and work on it.
    Most people do not know what to do. They watch TV and shit, ski once/year, go on a camping trip maybe. Visit family when they have vacation time.

Because they are the ones that can afford to.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Because they are the ones that can afford to.
    And they're subsidizing keeping all the gnar terrain open for the 1%.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    And they're subsidizing keeping all the gnar terrain open for the 1%.
    Don't get me fucking started. This was exactly why I fucking went mad when JH took the rocks out of Laramie Bowl and cut the blue run down the middle of Bivouac Woods. They went too far, god dam it!!

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    So what the fuck else are they going to do? I see this all the time with people who buy a second home and come visit it on weekends and fucking mow the lawn there and work on it.
    That's hilarious, my neighbors do that exact same thing.

People go to Florida to play tennis on a court just like the one at home, only hotter and more humid.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    That's hilarious, my neighbors do that exact same thing.
    So do mine.

One house on each coast, and a sprinter to drive between them.

That said, earlier I posted that you guys are doing it wrong. I had a family gig a few years ago at Sun Valley for the closing week. Whatever. We skied, went fly fishing on the Big Wood, mountain biked down valley where the dirt was more dried out, went bowling at the lodge, got kinda drunk at that monstrous circular hot tub, ate at really good restaurants, etc. We even skied at Dollar one morning.
    What, no XC skiing at Galena Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    What, no XC skiing at Galena Pass?
    We flew in, so we didn't have all our junk, but that was on the list, along with BC skiing and snowmobiling there as well. My friends went gliding the day we fished for example.

I've been to a shit ton of typical recreation destinations. Probably 100? ski resorts for example, (I'm old). But sticking with the OP's request of gravity-based, I think almost all the Colorado resorts are in this category.
    Maybe your just not good enough to have fun at anything less than optimal conditions.
    Tons of rippers, seamed to be having fun today.

Same with Maui, you go there with Matty Schweitzer and his son Zane, you’re going to have fun!

I’ve had a good times, at most the places listed. Having the inside track always helps.

I prefer CO and I've ski'd all over.

Nashville has a lock on bachelorette parties. Its a good and bad thing. Cowboy boots are a must.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I've been to a shit ton of typical recreation destinations. Probably 100? ski resorts for example, (I'm old). But sticking with the OP's request of gravity-based, I think almost all the Colorado resorts are in this category. Sure CB and Telluride are almost OK, but Vail, Copper, Breck, Keystone, Steamboat, etc.? They're all mostly flat and lame.
    Damn, tough crowd. you should try to ski at one of 600 other ski areas in the USA that don't make the top 25 ski lists year in and year out. I mean if you can't have fun in summit county, colorado, you must be the raddest bro in all the land.

I find groomers to be a blast, tell me you're not grinning ear to ear when you catch fresh cord down roller coaster at alta and you get to launch 40 feet off the roll overs..... That shits a blast! plus if you're not a good skier, an even surface is a lot more fun than skiing powder or crud. What would you prefer people spend money on?

I've been to a shit ton of typical recreation destinations. Probably 100? ski resorts for example, (I'm old). But sticking with the OP's request of gravity-based, I think almost all the Colorado resorts are in this category. Sure CB and Telluride are almost OK, but Vail, Copper, Breck, Keystone, Steamboat, etc.? They're all mostly flat and lame.
    That said, earlier I posted that you guys are doing it wrong. I had a family gig a few years ago at Sun Valley for the closing week. Whatever. We skied, went fly fishing on the Big Wood, mountain biked down valley where the dirt was more dried out, went bowling at the lodge, got kinda drunk at that monstrous circular hot tub, ate at really good restaurants, etc. We even skied at Dollar one morning. Why not? People expect too much, and then when it ain't core, it's over-rated.
    I find this perspective pretty interesting, as someone who moved from a Colorado resort town to Washington back in March. Further evaluation required.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I find this perspective pretty interesting, as someone who moved from a Colorado resort town to Washington back in March. Further evaluation required.
    This will be interesting. And yes, I am the raddest bro in all the land. But really, in all seriousness, when you're at Vail, and you look across the valley, (with a fucking freeway at the base of your view), don't you want to be skiing at the ridge on the other side of the valley?

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Any where in the east.

I disagree about Jackson, great all around region, overpriced but still a great place (hence why it is overpriced.)
    I don't know, man. Rutland?
    Then I'm supposed to say something about 100% snowmaking and Italian chicas.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

This will be interesting. And yes, I am the raddest bro in all the land. But really, in all seriousness, when you're at Vail, and you look across the valley, (with a fucking freeway at the base of your view), don't you want to be skiing at the ridge on the other side of the valley?
    I totally agree. I'd much rather ski the gore range and its probably why vail has used that back drop for advertising in the past. But I still think vail is a lot of fun if you can avoid the crowds.

I also don't understand the Maui hate. I've been twice and still haven't exhausted all the amazing things to do on that island. But I guess cliff jumping, swimming under beautiful waterfalls, snorkeling reefs and seeing a bunch of birds that don't exist anywhere else on the planet is boring....

Never been to East Vail Chutes? That stuff across the highway is South West facing, but good when it is good. Lots of options, but tough access.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    I totally agree. I'd much rather ski the gore range and its probably why vail has used that back drop for advertising in the past. But I still think vail is a lot of fun if you can avoid the crowds.

I also don't understand the Maui hate. I've been twice and still haven't exhausted all the amazing things to do on that island. But I guess cliff jumping, swimming under beautiful waterfalls, snorkeling reefs and seeing a bunch of birds that don't exist anywhere else on the planet is boring....
    Totally agree. And having the Gore Range (one of the wildest, rowdiest ranges in the lower 48) as your backyard...Plugboots probably just skied the Avanti chair all day.