Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 135
  1. #101
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    822
    I picked up one of these in a black friday sale https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Havne't gotten it on snow yet but holy shit it is so bright.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,440
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    I just picked up a Sofirn SP40 for pre-dawn ski and a backup mtb bike light. Haven't received it yet but gets good reviews and has decent runtimes. Its P-shaped and can attach to shoulder straps on a pack, or as a headlamp.
    That is a very good price, if I saw that price last week I probably would have gotten it. I bought the Thrunite TH10 v2 which was $48 shipped direct from Thrunite. I did a ton of research on flashlight forums and ended up with this one because it has the most "throw" out of any 18650 powered light, and I got the Armytek C1 Elf as a floodlight for the pole. I was very close to getting the Sofrin though. Will report back next week!

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Front Range, CO
    Posts
    461
    I did the same, was originally looking for cheap mtn bike lights for my kids and ended up getting this for myself. Its direct from China, so may take a couple of weeks. I haven't ordered from Sofirn before but feedback on one of the light forums was pretty good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    That is a very good price, if I saw that price last week I probably would have gotten it. I bought the Thrunite TH10 v2 which was $48 shipped direct from Thrunite. I did a ton of research on flashlight forums and ended up with this one because it has the most "throw" out of any 18650 powered light, and I got the Armytek C1 Elf as a floodlight for the pole. I was very close to getting the Sofrin though. Will report back next week!

  4. #104
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    252
    This is the setup I have, though it is exclsively for the down I never us it on the way up. The light is bright has a wide area it lights up (700lumens). It is nice on the chest mount for the go pro. Good battery life rechargeable. Dimmable. Depending on what is going on I won't worry about adding a head lamp. Great for POV filming in the dark as well.

    I also use two of these to light up my backyard for after dark wuffle ball.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201208_234706840.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	351893

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,440
    I bought the Thrunite TH10 v2 (neutral white version) and used it on 12 or so night outings. I bought it after doing a ton of research on flashlight sites. It is very "throwy" while most lights are more "floody" meaning the beam is more concentrated and throws the light farther than other lights with equivalent power. Most high end lights are not made for high speed activity, and a wider field of view is prioritized over the distance of the beam. The TH10 v2 has the most throw of any 18650-powered light I could find, which is important when going fast. I am really liking it so far, in open terrain I can go nearly full speed. In tight terrain I wish the field of view was slightly wider but I don't think it slows me down much, I just have to turn my head a little more. I also love that the light has onboard micro-usb charging. Many lights either use proprietary cables or don't have onboard charging at all. I like that I don't need a special cable or battery charger. I have never used the more high-end lights like the Zebras but the only advantage I see with the Zebra is that it is slightly lighter. I got the TH10 v2 on a holiday sale for $48 and msrp is $60, definitely recommend this light.

    I was comparing this light with the Nitecore options around the same price that I see a lot, and chose the Thrunite mainly because it has more throw and is available in a neutral white version which I think looks better on snow than the cool white most other lights are offered in.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Front Range, CO
    Posts
    461
    Thanks for the update. I've got 3 days on Sofirn SP40, skinning up the resort after close. They have a dedicated uphill/downhill route that is groomed blues and greens. I put it on low while going uphill and Turbo going down. Its much better than a standard led headlamp. I would say its adequate skiing at night, where I feel safe and that I won't hurt myself on groomed easy runs. I would not feel comfortable skiing powder covered bumps. I do wish it had more throw to see more downhill and may use my bike helmet light in addition next time to get more throw. One nice feature, its p-shaped and easy to attach onto the chest strap of my backpack.


    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I bought the Thrunite TH10 v2 (neutral white version) and used it on 12 or so night outings. I bought it after doing a ton of research on flashlight sites. It is very "throwy" while most lights are more "floody" meaning the beam is more concentrated and throws the light farther than other lights with equivalent power. Most high end lights are not made for high speed activity, and a wider field of view is prioritized over the distance of the beam. The TH10 v2 has the most throw of any 18650-powered light I could find, which is important when going fast. I am really liking it so far, in open terrain I can go nearly full speed. In tight terrain I wish the field of view was slightly wider but I don't think it slows me down much, I just have to turn my head a little more. I also love that the light has onboard micro-usb charging. Many lights either use proprietary cables or don't have onboard charging at all. I like that I don't need a special cable or battery charger. I have never used the more high-end lights like the Zebras but the only advantage I see with the Zebra is that it is slightly lighter. I got the TH10 v2 on a holiday sale for $48 and msrp is $60, definitely recommend this light.

    I was comparing this light with the Nitecore options around the same price that I see a lot, and chose the Thrunite mainly because it has more throw and is available in a neutral white version which I think looks better on snow than the cool white most other lights are offered in.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,440
    Half the nights I used my TH10 v2 were true backcountry, mostly mixed conditions and it felt solid. While the SP40 has similar power to the TH10, the TH10 has a more concentrated beam with more throw.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    295
    Bumping as the days get darker. Also Sofirn is having an end of season sale with the sp40 at $17. www.sofirnlight.com/promotions/flashsale

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    110
    lots of friends have these and theyre rad: https://www.lynxogt.com


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    117
    Wow - the lynx looks amazing. Does anything else compete with that?

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,454
    Lynx are nothing special, they are rebranded china headlamps. Don't get me wrong, they are amazing budget lights from AliExpress. I had the same one for work for 5+ years.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,866
    For $17 bucks I decided to order 2 of the sp40s. Figure I might as well go night skiing instead of sitting out the LCC red snake in my truck or the bar.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    117
    Does anyone here understand the different SP40 options? What would the best option be for touring/camping general use and the occasional night mountain bike ride?

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,740
    It's heavy and I haven't skied with it yet, but I've been digging the hell out this for everything else so far: https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...eable-headlamp

    Nitecore has cold weather 18650 batteries: https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECO...nl1835lthp.htm

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    Lost in the PNWet
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    It's heavy and I haven't skied with it yet, but I've been digging the hell out this for everything else so far: https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...eable-headlamp
    I can't remember why but I ended up with Nitecore's version. Same situation though, like it but haven't skied with it yet: https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/hc68

    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Nitecore has cold weather 18650 batteries: https://www.nitecorestore.com/NITECO...nl1835lthp.htm
    Their prices for cold weather batteries are bonkers though. They obviously don't make their own, just rewrap, and I'm almost certain its just a white-labelled Molicel m35a:
    https://www.18650batterystore.com/pr...on-top-battery

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    769
    https://www.amazon.ca/Thrunite-Recha.../dp/B09GM8FWX6

    Still pretty happy with these. One on the handlebar, one on the head works amazing on the bike. Wen seems more than enough for skiing.
    Curious about the cold weather batteries. I have been using a couple of Sony aftermarket batteries that seem to work a little better than the stock ones. Zero issues or complaints, but haven’t been out in the extreme cold.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    Carnorum Regio- Oltre Piave
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Thanks for the update. I've got 3 days on Sofirn SP40, skinning up the resort after close. They have a dedicated uphill/downhill route that is groomed blues and greens. I put it on low while going uphill and Turbo going down. Its much better than a standard led headlamp. I would say its adequate skiing at night, where I feel safe and that I won't hurt myself on groomed easy runs. I would not feel comfortable skiing powder covered bumps. I do wish it had more throw to see more downhill and may use my bike helmet light in addition next time to get more throw. One nice feature, its p-shaped and easy to attach onto the chest strap of my backpack.
    any long-term feedback on the SP40? Amazon also has it at a decent price.

    Any other Amazon-sourced alternatives that i could consider? I've always been a dawn patrol kind of guy but my job kind of makes it harder to do it nowadays.

    Dawn patrols were also easier for headlamps, I'd simply use an Aktic Core and by the time I'd go down it almost wasn't even needed anymore (sunlight) so I never felt the urge to upgrade.

    I wouldn't use it on pistes/marked trails (it's an easy avy-safe line close to my house) but at the same time i know i wouldn't be going mach speed so i'd just want something that would let me ski down "slightly" faster than with the actik

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    841
    Picked this up in Black Friday sale, kind of interesting platform for night skiing. Don't know if I believe the rationale re the warmer color temperature for skiing at night...

    https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...light-headlamp

  19. #119
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by tilioforeign View Post
    any long-term feedback on the SP40? Amazon also has it at a decent price.

    Any other Amazon-sourced alternatives that i could consider? I've always been a dawn patrol kind of guy but my job kind of makes it harder to do it nowadays.

    Dawn patrols were also easier for headlamps, I'd simply use an Aktic Core and by the time I'd go down it almost wasn't even needed anymore (sunlight) so I never felt the urge to upgrade.

    I wouldn't use it on pistes/marked trails (it's an easy avy-safe line close to my house) but at the same time i know i wouldn't be going mach speed so i'd just want something that would let me ski down "slightly" faster than with the actik
    Not long term but I used mine for a couple of skis and runs in the last few weeks.

    Overall it has been a huge step up from my 350 lumen BD storm. I feel like I can go a quite a bit faster in the full dark. I’m sure the nicer lights would allow me to open things up even more, but I’m super happy with the $ per added fun factor of these ones.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,454
    Is it usb c or micro usb? The pictures sometimes show micro usb

  21. #121
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Is it usb c or micro usb? The pictures sometimes show micro usb
    USB C

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,324
    I’ve read this thread and am still confused about what to get for occasional night ski touring. I’m looking for something that can fit on my helmet which has headlamp clips. Previously I’ve used a 700 lumen bike light on a GoPro mount, but I think this could be more low profile and less finicky. Not looking for the most expensive product since realistically I will use it a couple of times per year.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    da hood
    Posts
    1,113
    Been using this for a few years of night ski and bike riding. It’s been trouble free and I would buy again in a heartbeat.

    https://coastportland.com/collection...products/fl78r

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I’ve read this thread and am still confused about what to get for occasional night ski touring. I’m looking for something that can fit on my helmet which has headlamp clips. Previously I’ve used a 700 lumen bike light on a GoPro mount, but I think this could be more low profile and less finicky. Not looking for the most expensive product since realistically I will use it a couple of times per year.
    If you figure that out, would you get 2 of them, and pass the 2nd to me?

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Picked this up in Black Friday sale, kind of interesting platform for night skiing. Don't know if I believe the rationale re the warmer color temperature for skiing at night...

    https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...light-headlamp
    Did you use it for skiing? How was it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •