Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ^^ yep i'm at work atm but i'll take a pic here shortly

I own the the petzl actik core and decathlon Onnight 710. Overall I prefer the decathlon with the battery and all the weight on the back of my head instead of my forefront (it is even more important for trail running).

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Any updates to this? How many lumens are actually needed for night skiing in the trees?

I plan on skinning early mornings in th dark, but also some of my post work skis will head into darkness and looking for something that will also work for MTB.

I bought an outbound lighting hangover, and am a fan, not sure if it will be enough for night skiing? https://www.outboundlighting.com/product/hangover/ The idea is that it has a very wide beam, I also like that you can charge it while using it via usb-c and an basic battery.

I am happy to have a headlamp and battery in the backpack though, and was looking at the Light and Motion Seca 2000 race. Is this overkill though for winter? it doesnt seem like it is for MTB at all.

Also, what weight are people comfortable attaching to their helmets?
    I did a night MTB ride last night, about 1" of snow on all the ground and i'm convinced the Hangover is plenty for skiing. I had 750 on the bars too, but didn't feel it was necessary with the snow, maybe without it though.

Only issue was I only got 45 minutes at high power. Its supposed to get about 2 hrs, but maybe the 17 degree temp did it in. Once again, you can run an external battery which seems like it might be a necessity for skiing.

Considering a glowworm x2 as a bigger day solution. But, we'll see, I'd really like to keep everything USB-C instead of a bunch of proprietary chargers. Maybe I'll just get a cheap 18650 light as a backup to always have in the bag.

I use a Gloworm XS for mountain biking and its great . 2500 lumens in high output mode (~ 2hr of battery life). Much longer run time at lower output modes. Not super cheap at $300 but less expensive than comparable NiteRider. Company is run by two dudes in NZ. They design and then have everything made by a contract manufacturer. I met them at the Sea Otter Classic a few years back, nice people.

I haven't used it for skiing yet but plan to give it a try at some point. Comes with a bolt on GoPro mount adapter. Mine is a few years old and has a wired remote that I velcro to the side of my helmet. The new version has a wireless remote. I think most people attach new remote to their handlebars. For skiing you could just keep it in your pocket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201125_174643557.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1,018.8 KB 
ID:	349729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201125_174709670.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1,022.8 KB 
ID:	349730

hope this helps. i point the light slightly down so that when i pole plant it points slightly up. the light does bounce around a bit, obviously, but that's why my main light is on my head.

Neat solution. How specifically do you interface the light with the strap? I assume the stock bracket doesn't work super well for this application

Work has been slow today and I've been nerding out on this way too much this morning. I'm thinking of using something like this mount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761RX64G..._QD9GDbPNJDGK4 to put a right angle torch-style light on my pole. Its designed for bikes, reviews say its stable for road but rough for MTB, I'm thinking it would be a bit more stable than the voile strap approach

Another potential light-to-pole connection that looks viable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Neat solution. How specifically do you interface the light with the strap? I assume the stock bracket doesn't work super well for this application

Work has been slow today and I've been nerding out on this way too much this morning. I'm thinking of using something like this mount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761RX64G..._QD9GDbPNJDGK4 to put a right angle torch-style light on my pole. Its designed for bikes, reviews say its stable for road but rough for MTB, I'm thinking it would be a bit more stable than the voile strap approach
    on this lamp (the hm50r by fenix) the stock bracket is quite literally perfect for this application. it's silicone, and the strap diameter is nearly a perfect match for the voile strap.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post

Name:	PXL_20201125_174643557.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1,018.8 KB 
ID:	349729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201125_174709670.jpg 
Size:	1,022.8 KB 
ID:	349730

hope this helps. i point the light slightly down so that when i pole plant it points slightly up. the light does bounce around a bit, obviously, but that's why my main light is on my head.
    I feel like I missed something here; Why would you want a light on your pole? Seems like it would distracting while skinning or skiing.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

ya I don’t get it. I mean you can ski balls out hard, like full tilt in the backcountry in the trees in a puking wasatch storm hard, with just a decent zebralight. bring an extra battery and you’re good for full 10hour overnights, which I did training for the GT (and racing it)

but more gizmos is fun too I guess

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    ya I don’t get it. I mean you can ski balls out hard, like full tilt in the backcountry in the trees in a puking wasatch storm hard, with just a decent zebralight. bring an extra battery and you’re good for full 10hour overnights, which I did training for the GT (and racing it)

but more gizmos is fun too I guess
    ehh for me it's about having redundancy that i don't need to think about. that's the advantage of the system; in theory both a battery could fail and a light could fail. having an extra 18650 only eliminates the former problem, not the latter. i still have extra batteries in my oh shit kit, but two is one and one is none.

agreed that the zebralight is the best single light out there were it not for one thing - the lack of a focusable (throwable) beam.

yeah fair enough. I mean, it is cool to look at

Name:	tgapp.jpg 
Size:	907.3 KB 
ID:	349738

Anyone have thoughts on cool white vs neutral white vs warm white for skiing? I'm thinking cool white would probably look better on snow but neutral/warm light would be easier on the eyes but I have pretty limited experience using lights on snow

I'm using https://zebralight.3dcartstores.com/...amp_p_216.html (cool white) as it was recommended to me by someone else here, absolutely zero complaints. On max brightness in the right environmental conditions you can light up terrain maybe 1/4 mile away. I use medium for climbing, which will last quite a while on one charge (although low is usually fine but I just like to see more), and then max brightness for descending, if it's still pitch dark.

My only complaint is that if you accidentally turn the thing on full blast while you're staring at it you'll probably do some eye damage. It's ridiculously bright. Hard for me to imagine needing more than 1500Lm for the speeds I get to bc skiing (~30mph tops usually at night, ~40mph tops in the daytime in optimal conditions). I just wish there was an easy way to mount it on my bike.

Any issues with the light? Reviews are a little spotty, but nice that you can use a go pro mount. Did you do the mod that is recommended in a couple of the reviews (glue on coil)?

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Ignore that link, I actually have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ETpower%C2%AE...71020&sr=8-254

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Any issues with the light? Reviews are a little spotty, but nice that you can use a go pro mount. Did you do the mod that is recommended in a couple of the reviews (glue on coil)?
    No there's a tapped slot on the backside of the light that has an M3 screw in in. I replaced the stock mount, and put in that custom gopro mount in that same screw hole.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions.

www.experiencedgear.net

My bad, I wasn't very clear. A couple of reviews talk about taking it apart and modding it before using it, to make it more durable. Totally unrelated to the gopro mount. I was wondering if you've had any issues in general with durability and if you did the mod? The mod is to use a glue gun to apply glue and reduce space inside the unit to prevent parts from moving around if you hit a bump.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    My bad, I wasn't very clear. A couple of reviews talk about taking it apart and modding it before using it, to make it more durable. Totally unrelated to the gopro mount. I was wondering if you've had any issues in general with durability and if you did the mod? The mod is to use a glue gun to apply glue and reduce space inside the unit to prevent parts from moving around if you hit a bump.
    I'm using mine stock outside of that mod, I think at $25-$30 its not worth it.

Skiing here in the Cascades, I've used this light while its completely nuking out, and in light misting rain, but never in full rain. Additionally, I have not had any issues with the components rattling around.

Lastly, I found the listing of the product I actually bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TIO4246Z&psc=1

Apparently I bought this one is 2016, and it's still running well.

www.experiencedgear.net

Anyone try a light mounted on a GoPro chesty mount? Seems ideal when combined with a headlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Assuming at night you will ski more mellow runs and won’t be bucking cliffs, most powerful bike lights should work.

I’ve skied tree runs using my $25 Shenkey lights. It comes with a helmet mount. If you wanted to try that ski pole light thing, get a second and use the handlebar mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Assuming at night you will ski more mellow runs and won’t be bucking cliffs, most powerful bike lights should work.

I’ve skied tree runs using my $25 Shenkey lights. It comes with a helmet mount. If you wanted to try that ski pole light thing, get a second and use the handlebar mount.
    You know what happens when you assume though....

www.experiencedgear.net

To prevent Zebra or similar from accidentally turning on in the pack, loosen the battery cap 1/4 turn.

Convert a spot light into flood with window privacy film from the hardware store... cut to fit and stick.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Anyone try a light mounted on a GoPro chesty mount? Seems ideal when combined with a headlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I do

I think the best value out there is the Oxbow stuff. I use this primarily for night riding (mtb) but it would make a more than suitable ski light. Black Friday sale had them going for $79. Yes, it's an external battery with a cable, but I prefer it at this point for two reasons. One, it's light on the head, so you avoid the bobble-headedness. Two, it lasts WAY longer than expensive mtb lights that are self contained.

https://www.oxbowgear.com/

Edit: I use the dirt bike kit. GoPro mount. 3+ hours on High. Low beam will give you 12+ hours. I use Medium predominantly.

I just picked up a Sofirn SP40 for pre-dawn ski and a backup mtb bike light. Haven't received it yet but gets good reviews and has decent runtimes. Its P-shaped and can attach to shoulder straps on a pack, or as a headlamp.