Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Any updates to this? How many lumens are actually needed for night skiing in the trees?

I plan on skinning early mornings in th dark, but also some of my post work skis will head into darkness and looking for something that will also work for MTB.

I bought an outbound lighting hangover, and am a fan, not sure if it will be enough for night skiing? https://www.outboundlighting.com/product/hangover/ The idea is that it has a very wide beam, I also like that you can charge it while using it via usb-c and an basic battery.

I am happy to have a headlamp and battery in the backpack though, and was looking at the Light and Motion Seca 2000 race. Is this overkill though for winter? it doesnt seem like it is for MTB at all.

Also, what weight are people comfortable attaching to their helmets?
    1000 lumens not enough for mtb, marginal for skiing, mainly because of battery life.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I use this one for mountain biking and night skiing:

https://www.amazon.com/Victagen-Head...dDbGljaz10cnVl

I pulled off the standard mount, and changed it to a GoPro Mount which is on my helmet. For night riding I throw the battery in my bib shorts, and for skiing, I put the battery in my jacket pocket. For $20ish its awesome.

I'll see if I can snap some pictures of my setup when I get home later.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Anybody used a waist light like this to supplement the headlamp? https://one80light.com/products/h2-belt-light

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Anybody used a waist light like this to supplement the headlamp? https://one80light.com/products/h2-belt-light

As a former lighting enginerd, the beam angle on those strip lights would be very wide and unfocused. Therefore would be fine if you're moving slowly or looking down. But considering that you're going 30+ MPH on a bike/skis, it wouldn't be very useful. I would actually argue that using that would be worse than not using any light, since those lights would be flooding your near vision with high levels of light making the rest of the area look darker.

www.experiencedgear.net

Thanks, you just saved me from an expensive mistake! I'd be interested to see your helmet mount setup, do you use a strap or adhesive gopro mount? is the light compatible with the mount or do you use an adapter?

Thanks, you just saved me from an expensive mistake! I'd be interested to see your helmet mount setup, do you use a strap or adhesive gopro mount? is the light compatible with the mount or do you use an adapter?
    I'll snap some pics when I get home, but I used some spare gopro mounts I had floating around, and mounted them to the light using the tapped portion on the extruded profile, using an M3 screw.

Will provide update when I can.

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I use this one for mountain biking and night skiing:

https://www.amazon.com/Victagen-Head...dDbGljaz10cnVl

I pulled off the standard mount, and changed it to a GoPro Mount which is on my helmet. For night riding I throw the battery in my bib shorts, and for skiing, I put the battery in my jacket pocket. For $20ish its awesome.

I'll see if I can snap some pictures of my setup when I get home later.

Ignore that link, I actually have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ETpower%C2%AE...71020&sr=8-254

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    1000 lumens not enough for mtb, marginal for skiing, mainly because of battery life.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    right, I wouldn't be using only that for mtb. I would pair that light with a 1500+ lumen on the bars.

What does the amount of lumens have to do with battery life? maybe I just dont understand your statement.

I've been using the Petzl DUO S and its pretty damn amazing. I bought it after all the boys on the Baker Pro Patrol recommended them. If it works for those boys to shred before / after work and while throwing bombs its more than good enough for my use.

Get something with no cables to batteries and switches.
    They fail because of cold, wet, or just getting kinked.
    Get something with a white balance that is warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I'll snap some pics when I get home, but I used some spare gopro mounts I had floating around, and mounted them to the light using the tapped portion on the extruded profile, using an M3 screw.

Will provide update when I can.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1606186422.065371.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	349498

It looks like i printed this adapter, but ive also built one where i used a gopro 90deg link with some washers between the spaces to mount onto the bottom of the light.

www.experiencedgear.net

Anybody have thoughts on using a waist light like this? https://ultraspire.com/products/lume...t-waist-light/

Its a legit 18650 light with what looks like a well-designed waist belt. Pretty cool that it also includes a bike handlebar mounting bracket and head strap. I'm pretty sold on getting a 18650 light and trying to get it on the waist somehow, now the decision is to get this where you're paying a lot for the waist belt integration or buy a much cheaper light and figure out the waist belt situation on my own.

Anybody have thoughts on using a waist light like this? https://ultraspire.com/products/lume...t-waist-light/

Its a legit 18650 light with what looks like a well-designed waist belt. Pretty cool that it also includes a bike handlebar mounting bracket and head strap. I'm pretty sold on getting a 18650 light and trying to get it on the waist somehow, now the decision is to get this where you're paying a lot for the waist belt integration or buy a much cheaper light and figure out the waist belt situation on my own.
    Im not sure why the waist idea is desired? more DOF?

The Outbound lighting hangover is an 18650 battery if anyone was interested, I just bought another after a few night MTB rides and being very stoked on it compared to narrow beams. you can swap out the battery yourself, although i cant imagine easy in field, you can charge it while its running.

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Im not sure why the waist idea is desired? more DOF?

The Outbound lighting hangover is an 18650 battery if anyone was interested, I just bought another after a few night MTB rides and being very stoked on it compared to narrow beams. you can swap out the battery yourself, although i cant imagine easy in field, you can charge it while its running.
    Yeah more DOF. I've been trail running recently with my headlamp around my waist and its made a big difference, now I a real deal waist light. A lot of serious ultramarathon racers are moving over to waist lights for the same reason. I feel like the improvement vs headlamp would be even more dramatic for skiing

Yeah more DOF. I've been trail running recently with my headlamp around my waist and its made a big difference, now I a real deal waist light. A lot of serious ultramarathon racers are moving over to waist lights for the same reason. I feel like the improvement vs headlamp would be even more dramatic for skiing
    Interesting, I'll have to try it someday. I guess its pretty much the same idea as the headlamp handlebar combo on MTB's.

Night Ski Headlamps?

if you’re truly skiing hard in the bc in the dark, imo you really want to be able to control your light with your head (it’s also useless on your waist going up in the dark imo). if it’s inbounds, ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    if you’re truly skiing hard in the bc in the dark, imo you really want to be able to control your light with your head. if it’s inbounds, ymmv
    for skiing in the bc at night i find that the combination of a pole-mounted light (fenix HM-50r mounted with a voile strap) and a head-mounted light to work best.

for headlights, the 18650 based lights are the obvious choice, but i have a coast fl85r that is bright enough (700 lumens), works on rechargeable batteries AND on triple A's, and is easy to use. plus coast has the best warranty/customer service of any headlamp company i've ever worked with. cannot recommend them highly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    if you’re truly skiing hard in the bc in the dark, imo you really want to be able to control your light with your head (it’s also useless on your waist going up in the dark imo). if it’s inbounds, ymmv
    I'd have a light on my head as well. I'm thinking about the mountain bike model of having lights on the bars and the helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    for skiing in the bc at night i find that the combination of a pole-mounted light (fenix HM-50r mounted with a voile strap) and a head-mounted light to work best.
    I tried using a pole mounted light on a few trail runs, the constant swinging got nauseating. If I mounted the light high on the pole by the grip there was less swinging but the light wasn't as effective.

I tried using a pole mounted light on a few trail runs, the constant swinging got nauseating. If I mounted the light high on the pole by the grip there was less swinging but the light wasn't as effective.
    bright, narrow beam on head, wide floodlight on pole. that's the combo that works for me. ymmv obviously, i just like to have a light that i can move without moving my head.

plus i never forget my backup light because it's hard mounted to my pole year around

bright, narrow beam on head, wide floodlight on pole. that's the combo that works for me. ymmv obviously, i just like to have a light that i can move without moving my head.

plus i never forget my backup light because it's hard mounted to my pole year around
    The ability to move the light without moving the head/body - that is an excellent argument for the pole light! I'll have to give it another shot

I'd have a light on my head as well. I'm thinking about the mountain bike model of having lights on the bars and the helmet.
    ah fair enough. my zebra light has been enough even going 30mph+ in trees in a storm, so I’ve never augmented it, but I do tend to bring a spare battery and a backup oh-shit light

I don't have one but these look awesome https://www.lynxogt.com/ small Canadian company thats geared towards backcountry winter uses

Could you post a pick of how you mount it (or explain)? Also, doesn't the light point at the sky with every pole plant?

X2. So cheap I’m curious to see the set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk