Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I can see side country at a place with night skiing wanting ahead lamp. I think I'd be too chicken to go full on back country at night these days because... mountain lions... I'm also more afraid of the ocean than I used to be though (don't go in at dawn or dusk anymore) so it's probably just me.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

having somewhat decided on one of the zebralight 18650s, can anyone help make sense of the various options for me? anyone know what "flood" vs "floody" means? how's the spill+spot for skiing? clueless here and their CS hasn't gotten back to me yet lol

We picked up some cheap ones on Amazon. Not as light or as durable as the Zebra or bike lights, but $11 and rechargeable, with solid light output. Works great for skiing down after a post-work skin.

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-...dp/B07688V5KF/

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    having somewhat decided on one of the zebralight 18650s, can anyone help make sense of the various options for me? anyone know what "flood" vs "floody" means? how's the spill+spot for skiing? clueless here and their CS hasn't gotten back to me yet lol
    Get the spot plus flood, not cool white, natural light.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Get the spot plus flood, not cool white, natural light.

Seconded. Def get the natural color. I have the "floody" lenses on mine and they are great for running and fine for skiing but if you're trying to go fast you might prefer a spot. Or just be realistic and slow down a bit so you don't kill yourself.

Pick up some real Panasonic 18650s if you want to run on full power. Otherwise the cheap ones are fine. I get 30h (measured) on the "high medium" setting. The Nitecore universal charger is very good for 18650s and others. I even trick mine into charging a 4x18650 pack I made by using a dowel with contacts on it.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Thanks for the help, rod9301 and climberevan. Just ordered the H600w Mk IV ( http://www.zebralight.com/H600w-Mk-I...amp_p_215.html ) neutral white, spill/spot, 18650, 1400 Lm max output... should be a nice improvement over my 350Lm BD anyway. I'll post in here once I've skied with it, pretty pumped though

btw, what do you use to recharge the 18650 batteries? can the lamp do it, or do you have some other accessory?

btw, what do you use to recharge the 18650 batteries? can the lamp do it, or do you have some other accessory?
    You need a charger

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    You need a charger
    alright. I'll dig something up on amazon

jesus fucking christ, just got my zebralight. I can light up my whole street lol. can't wait to use this fucker. I nearly blinded myself trying to check the battery level. this is gonna be great

jesus fucking christ, just got my zebralight. I can light up my whole street lol. can't wait to use this fucker. I nearly blinded myself trying to check the battery level. this is gonna be great
    Glad you like it.

this might be more a question for zebralight, but I noticed last night that when I switched the light on to high, after a few seconds (4 or 5) it dimmed itself down to the h2 level. I hadn't charged the battery and was just using it out of the box; is this expected low-battery behavior?

this might be more a question for zebralight, but I noticed last night that when I switched the light on to high, after a few seconds (4 or 5) it dimmed itself down to the h2 level. I hadn't charged the battery and was just using it out of the box; is this expected low-battery behavior?
    I mentioned it earlier, but this is normal when your batteries are not up to the task. You have to get the higher quality batteries to sustain the current output necessary to run it on high. https://www.18650batterystore.com/Be...uide-s/142.htm

Man, there's lot of choices to be made when getting one of these headlamps!

You guys want to outline what exactly is best light, battery, lens, charger, etc for me so I don't have to spend hours figuring it out on my own?

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I mentioned it earlier, but this is normal when your batteries are not up to the task. You have to get the higher quality batteries to sustain the current output necessary to run it on high. https://www.18650batterystore.com/Be...uide-s/142.htm
    Ah, thanks. I have the ZL635 (the one Zebralight sells) but I hadn't ever really charged it, just tossed it in and it seemed fine... I just charged it overnight, now it's working normally. If the dimming persists, I'll get a better battery.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Man, there's lot of choices to be made when getting one of these headlamps!

You guys want to outline what exactly is best light, battery, lens, charger, etc for me so I don't have to spend hours figuring it out on my own?
    I got this: http://www.zebralight.com/H600F-Mk-I...amp_p_216.html
    with this charger (recommended by zebralight) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I skied them last night on whatever level they fell back to (I think one of the h2 sublevels, so probably 560+Lm), in light snow, in trees, pitch black (more than an hour after sunset, north facing tree run). It was more than enough to ski fast...face shots at night are AWESOME. I can't really imagine NEEDING the max brightness, but I still WANT it lol. I went out without really knowing what was up with the battery because I had a backup headlamp in my pack so felt comfortable, and still got a solid 3 hours out of it. It didn't die either, I just got cold... when I got back down to my car, the car temp read 5F.

Great call on the spill+spot, the difference between this and my Black Diamond whatever-it-was-that-cost-$60-two-years-ago 350Lm one was staggering. I'll fully charge up my batteries and give them another go tomorrow pre-dawn.

Ah, thanks. I have the ZL635 (the one Zebralight sells) but I hadn't ever really charged it, just tossed it in and it seemed fine... I just charged it overnight, now it's working normally. If the dimming persists, I'll get a better battery.

with this charger (recommended by zebralight) https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I skied them last night on whatever level they fell back to (I think one of the h2 sublevels, so probably 560+Lm), in light snow, in trees, pitch black (more than an hour after sunset, north facing tree run). It was more than enough to ski fast...face shots at night are AWESOME. I can't really imagine NEEDING the max brightness, but I still WANT it lol. I went out without really knowing what was up with the battery because I had a backup headlamp in my pack so felt comfortable, and still got a solid 3 hours out of it. It didn't die either, I just got cold... when I got back down to my car, the car temp read 5F.

Great call on the spill+spot, the difference between this and my Black Diamond whatever-it-was-that-cost-$60-two-years-ago 350Lm one was staggering. I'll fully charge up my batteries and give them another go tomorrow pre-dawn.
    Thanks. Of course it's not the on-sale one.

This is very similar to my experience with my Olight. The highest setting is overkill for skiing. It is useful for siting further down or uphill, but it can actually create too much glare when moving quickly. Did a bunch of long runs (3-4 hours) at night, using the 600 lumen setting for single track when I had to worry about footing and the 150 lumen setting when it was flat.

I train a lot during the night, running, skinning, rollerskiing, biking, etc. I've had Zebralight and it's really good but my favorite so far is Nitecore HC30. What really annoyed me about Zebralight was that it has only three levels of brightness, the lowest is usually useless, medium is usually a bit too strong and results in quicker battery darinage than necessary. The biggest problem of this light though is that the first single click enables the highest mode (+1000lm), second one medium, third low... this is really annoying and even dangerous sometimes. If the Zebra will accidently turn on in your backpack it will not only quickly drain the battery but also destroy your belongings (my friend's jacket was burned when his zebra turned on in the backpack). In comparison Nitecore has 5 modes and the first click activates the lowest setting, usually I use the second mode which is enough for most activities and thus allows battery to last really long. Nitecore is also much cheaper ~$50, you can buy some high quality battery, good charger and in total you will spend less than for the Zebra only.
    If you choose to buy Zebra anyway, pay attention to the beam type. I would NOT recommend 120 degree flood, it's useless for most outdoor activities imo. Choose 17 hot spot/80 spill or similar.
    It's also very important to buy high quality battery, do not save money on this.

--
    Sorry for my english, not my first language.

Yes

FYI, there are actually 6 light levels on Zebralights. Within each of the low-med-high there are 2 sub levels. A double click changes between them. A double click when it's off goes directly to whichever of the medium levels you previously selected.

I'll agree that it's not the best control scheme. If I didn't already have 2 ZLs I'd try the Nitecore one. Direct USB charging would sometimes be neat as well, and some of them have that.

Here's to not letting darkness get in the way of training/fun!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

this might not mean a lot if you don’t know the zone, but I lit up the far side of grizzly gulch from where the skinner first bends northeast today... high power mode is ridiculous lol

Any updates to this? How many lumens are actually needed for night skiing in the trees?

I plan on skinning early mornings in th dark, but also some of my post work skis will head into darkness and looking for something that will also work for MTB.

I bought an outbound lighting hangover, and am a fan, not sure if it will be enough for night skiing? https://www.outboundlighting.com/product/hangover/ The idea is that it has a very wide beam, I also like that you can charge it while using it via usb-c and an basic battery.

I am happy to have a headlamp and battery in the backpack though, and was looking at the Light and Motion Seca 2000 race. Is this overkill though for winter? it doesnt seem like it is for MTB at all.

Also, what weight are people comfortable attaching to their helmets?

How much performance are you sacrificing with a cheap 18650 headlamp like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YJLKGN2...dDbGljaz10cnVl

compared to something more expensive like a Zebralight, assuming you use a decent battery? The light I linked is only $22.50 with the coupon right now.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a high quality USB-rechargeable 18650 battery? Most of what I'm finding on Amazon look like junk

Can't tell if it has a voltage regulator, pretty essential.

Otherwise, buy it and if you don't like it return it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk