Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    snicker - quote of the week/month, it made me laugh out loud. It should be a signature for sure
    Damn right!

Beware of the one ski quiver circle of hell!

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I see a lot of the opposite too, though -- skiers who walk into a shop knowing little but "might want to tour at some point" and walk out with a crossover boot with tech fitting compatibility (swappable soles, etc). People who will very likely never tour but want to the option in the future. Cuz you know, their friends do it ... or their friends might do it ... or they hike inbounds sometimes ... or they saw it in a movie and it seemed cool. If you can sell those people a $700 boot that they don't need, it's probably not hard to get them to buy into a $500 binding that allows them to use it inbound or out of bounds, especially since they often need a new binding for compatibility anyway.
    you must be talking about dentists or their offspring

I'm talking about dirt bags at the local hill who don't have the 700 or the 500, they don't know where their next toke or slice of pizza is coming from
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks for the responses everyone. They all really help out with the decision making. Again, I'm not a hardcharging rider by any means and only go at 135 lbs so the Tectons seem like they'd okay for my circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    I have about 6 days on my shifts, a couple 2000 foot tours and one longer 3500 one. No issues that haven’t been mentioned so far, just the songle climbing bail.

I would probably recommend the shift in your case, better resort performance than the tecton. While being heavier, it does still tour well. It tours pretty much exactly the same as any tech binding with only one climbing bail.

As far as classifying the shift as a downhill binding that tours, I would probably still classify it more as a touring binding that skis downhill more reliably, it is still incredibly light for a dh binding, and I feel that the true pure hard snow performance may be lacking.
    Thanks for responding. Did you find any issues with the toe tab when switching from DH to touring and vice versa. Any snow or ice buildup issues with it and was it necessary to have to take off your gloves? Also, did having only the one riser hinder anything at all for the way up?
    Last edited by Havn; 11-16-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post
    This I was well aware of, but also know the issue has been remedied. And often times things come out much burlier after these types of recalls.

Wasn't aware of the improved elasticity of the toe piece on the Tectons. Will need to do some more research there...
    It hasn’t been remedied. The recall didn’t even cover the shearing pins issue.

But that aside I agree with what others have said, kingpins have been surpassed on both sides.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Having seen someone shear the pin off of a Kingpin while skinning in the middle of nowhere, I'd be hard pressed to consider that binding. The guy finished out the week on loaner skis with Vipecs - no issues.

Ask yourself why you want hybrid bindings. If the answer is to save money, I'd recommend at least considering two sets of skis. Alpine bindings and dedicated touring bindings can be had for significantly less money than new-hotness hybrid bindings. And, in most circumstances they will perform better at their intended use and likely last longer than hybrids - especially when it comes to lift skiing. I think that two less expensive, dedicated setups can offer better performance and longer durability at a similar cost. That allows you to get lighter touring skis as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Having seen someone shear the pin off of a Kingpin while skinning in the middle of nowhere, I'd be hard pressed to consider that binding. The guy finished out the week on loaner skis with Vipecs - no issues.

Ask yourself why you want hybrid bindings. If the answer is to save money, I'd recommend at least considering two sets of skis. Alpine bindings and dedicated touring bindings can be had for significantly less money than new-hotness hybrid bindings. And, in most circumstances they will perform better at their intended use and likely last longer than hybrids - especially when it comes to lift skiing. I think that two less expensive, dedicated setups can offer better performance and longer durability at a similar cost. That allows you to get lighter touring skis as well.
    How true.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Havn View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone. They all really help out with the decision making. Again, I'm not a hardcharging rider by any means and only go at 135 lbs so the Tectons seem like they'd okay for my circumstances.

Thanks for responding. Did you find any issues with the toe tab when switching from DH to touring and vice versa. Any snow or ice buildup issues with it and was it necessary to have to take off your gloves? Also, did having only the one riser hinder anything at all for the way up?
    Switching really isn’t an issue, I did it with mittens on. The songle riser however has been annoying, a lot of the time its eithef too high or too low. I have a functioning modification that just adds a taller bail, but this doesn’t help most of the time when people are setting around 7 degree skin tracks, whoch is the middle step for most touring bindings, the 10 degrees on the shift seems to be wrong a lot of the time unless setting trail.

Also sorry for all my misspelling I just re read all my old posts, but im using my phone and have fat thumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Praxis Rx

Strong post.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

I’ll admit that this can’t be quantified, but I went with the Shifts for my powder touring setup (to be used almost 100% in the BC) for safety purposes. I worry about tib/fib spiral fractures when deep Tahoe snow is involved, and although Tectons are likely better at preventing that than other pin bindings, the Shift has significantly more toe elasticity. I otherwise would have gone Tecton for weight, multiple risers, and likely no real loss of performance in powder.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think even the vipec / dyna FTs / G3 ions in are in a weird place now. And I own FTs. For volcanoes I now want superlites. For shorter tours I want tecton/shift. Polarized market.

I second the two dedicated setups. But It's more expensive any way you slice it. It's a convenient argument to say is less $ than the new fancy hybrids but it's not true.

Used prices:

Skis: 2 sets: $350x2=700
    Bindings: 2 sets: 150 (alpine)+250 (used radicals/ions/vipec)=400
    Boots: 2sets: 300x2 = 600.
    $1700

Skis: 1set: 350
    Bindings,(hybrid): 350 (used tecton)
    Boots: 300
    $1000

Still, buy used mount your own skis build a quiver

i agree, except for the Vipec part. I still think there is a place for these, at least in my quiver. It is the lightest binding on the market with frontal elasticity, if not exactly svelte. From them there is a bit of a gap i believe, to lighter weight bindings such as ATKs, MTNs and other lighter bindings.

i am sure Ions, Radicals and so on ski just fine, but with zero elasticity up front I have a hard time justifying either going with Vipecs for safety or going significantly lighter. I will probably at some point cave and go with light weight (sub 350) bindings on a pair of long haul skis, but for now I am very happy with brakeless Vipecs for that use - 440gr evo /520gr black pr ski isn't that bad for the performance you get out of them. They are light enough, and ski and tour awesomely.

This is a silly thread, too early for reliable data on the shift. Did I buy a pair? Yes. Plan to use as my travel do-it-all with two sets of skis that have inserts. If you want solid binders that have been tested by the masses I’d say go tectons. Especially if you are the type that buys one pair of skis every four to five years. Most of the guys on this thread buy two to three pairs of skis yearly and don’t mind throwing shifts on one pair.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm kind of in agreement but not exactly. Frankly I think the heel downpressure is arguably more important to my skiing experience than toe elasticity. Having said that, Tecton provides it at a weight advantage over Kingpin and isn't notorious for detonating pins.

For me, the weight gain of vipec vs tecton makes it inherently unappealing. YMMV. To lose the heel downpressure, I would need to be looking at a super dedicated long distance traverse setup where skiing performance is way down the priority list. I thought about it for pow only as there is little torsion on the heel but on hardpack the feeling of vague tails from trad pintech leaves me solidly underwhelmed. I tour to ski, even in shitfuck conditions. I mean really, tecton is less than 100gr weight penalty per foot versus my old rad1 setup! That's an incredible amount of extra performance for <100gr.

Even for an UL setup, unless you go all the way to the extreme, I could probably take a shit big enough to compensate the difference if I drank an extra cup of coffee before my morning movement.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    This is a silly thread
    Isn't that what these pre-season threads are for? Passing the time will debating stuff with differing degree of data?

Nickel:
    yeah, I do not disagree - it is all a matter of perspective and whether one looks up for maximum performance at a lowest possible weight or down for minimal weight given that safety and elasticity is taken care of - and respective market segment comparisons. You argue up, i argue down - so kinda flip sides of the same argument, kinda.

Owning a pair of Vipec Blacks I will hang on to them and had planned to use them on a pair of skis I tried to buy for long haul use, but where things fell through, so now they will go on my rock skis instead.

My new 99mm touring specific skis will get Tectons for the exact reasons you put forth in your reply. The skis will be plenty light, yet pack a serious punch for all but the deepest of conditions. To be used with Hawx XTD130s, so going full light weight in the binding&ski-departments would just mean overpowering either or both, or skiing conservatively - neither of which is any good.

So the answer isn’t to save money. It is to have something that is lighter than a frame binding for longer tours but still burly enough to hit cliffs and natural airs. That’s where I see the sweet spot for these bindings. I’ve never thought of them as being all purpose in terms of transitioning from resort days to the backcountry. If that’s the route people are going then I agree with your post. But not for my intended use.
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    Isn't that what these pre-season threads are for? Passing the time will debating stuff with differing degree of data?

Nickel:
    yeah, I do not disagree - it is all a matter of perspective and whether one looks up for maximum performance at a lowest possible weight or down for minimal weight given that safety and elasticity is taken care of - and respective market segment comparisons. You argue up, i argue down - so kinda flip sides of the same argument, kinda.

Owning a pair of Vipec Blacks I will hang on to them and had planned to use them on a pair of skis I tried to buy for long haul use, but where things fell through, so now they will go on my rock skis instead.

My new 99mm touring specific skis will get Tectons for the exact reasons you put forth in your reply. The skis will be plenty light, yet pack a serious punch for all but the deepest of conditions. To be used with Hawx XTD130s, so going full light weight in the binding&ski-departments would just mean overpowering either or both, or skiing conservatively - neither of which is any good.
    You can go light weight bindings, like the Salomon mtn, and you will be fine on any ski. Not true that light bindings, at least this one will be overpowered by anything.

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Shift vs Tectons

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I could probably take a shit big enough to compensate the difference if I drank an extra cup of coffee before my morning movement.
    Keeping that shit inside you it’s actually a really good location for that extra weight and smell.
    But take that shit on your skis and lug it around and deal with that extra weight and smell down there with each step, and you may have a different opinion.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Most people go to the bathroom to take a shit...

...I go there to leave one.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Taking everything into consideration, I decided to go with the Tecton 90mm. The decision was based on a multitude of reasons. In terms being run as a daily driver for resort duty the majority of the time, I think being only 135 lbs and not being a hardcharger will mitigate some of the durability and safety (i.e., resort riding on tech toes) concerns surrounding it. So while it might not be as burly or "safe" as the Shift in terms of the downhill side of things, I think it'll be good enough for me. Combine this with it seeming to be the better tourer as well, as it's lighter and has more riser settings, it overtakes the Shift in overall package in terms of weight vs performance based on my personal circumstances. Seems like the only down side compared to the Shift is its more limited range of motion (at least the current/older versions) and the potential boot toe indentation issue. Maybe icing up too, but not sure yet I guess.

However, at the end of the day, what sealed the deal for me was finding a new pair of the 17s 90mm for $400. Lastly, I'm currently able to borrow a friend's set of downhill skis for now though not sure for how long. I understand that having two dedicated skis in my quiver would be the most ideal, but being a mountain biker as well, I am trying to avoid the n+1 mentality

Appreciate all the responses and thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Keeping that shit inside you it’s actually a really good location for that extra weight and smell.
    But take that shit on your skis and lug it around and deal with that extra weight and smell down there with each step, and you may have a different opinion.
    Bingo. There’s a saying that 5 pounds on your feet is like 50 on your back.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Bingo. There’s a saying that 5 pounds on your feet is like 50 on your back.
    And i get that. I'm still not willing to sacrifice ski performance on a setup that's meant for skiing. if the primary purpose was very long distance traverses that would be a different story. I mostly tour to go skiing so my willingness to sacrifice ski performance for weight is no doubt different to others. It's important but not the be all end all.

Taking everything into consideration, I decided to go with the Tecton 90mm. The decision was based on a multitude of reasons. In terms being run as a daily driver for resort duty the majority of the time, I think being only 135 lbs and not being a hardcharger will mitigate some of the durability and safety (i.e., resort riding on tech toes) concerns surrounding it. So while it might not be as burly or "safe" as the Shift in terms of the downhill side of things, I think it'll be good enough for me. Combine this with it seeming to be the better tourer as well, as it's lighter and has more riser settings, it overtakes the Shift in overall package in terms of weight vs performance based on my personal circumstances. Seems like the only down side compared to the Shift is its more limited range of motion (at least the current/older versions) and the potential boot toe indentation issue. Maybe icing up too, but not sure yet I guess.

However, at the end of the day, what sealed the deal for me was finding a new pair of the 17s 90mm for $400. Lastly, I'm currently able to borrow a friend's set of downhill skis for now though not sure for how long. I understand that having two dedicated skis in my quiver would be the most ideal, but being a mountain biker as well, I am trying to avoid the n+1 mentality

Appreciate all the responses and thanks again.
    Any particular store selling them for 400? Or private sale? I want to grab a pair

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Any particular store selling them for 400? Or private sale? I want to grab a pair

Sent from my LM-G710VM using TGR Forums mobile app
    PM sent.

PM sent.
    The help you received in this thread (as a new poster), and you're keeping the deal you got PRIVATE with no further explanation?

I used to think this board was hard on new members, but I'm coming to understand.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music