Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skins v. Dog. Renew or ditch?

Not my finest moment. Floofus got hold of both skins last week. Found him in the yard, one skin stuck to his ass (???) The other face down in dirt and Pine needles. Both had accumulated significant dirt, fur, etc. These are close to new, plush in great shape. So, I'm not eager to ditch them. I've been given conflicting advice: "Just iron over parchment, they'll be fine", "time for glue renew, that'll be $ please" and "Dude, don't bother just get new skins, that'll be $$$, please"

I've retired skins from worn plush, but never re-glued. Secrets for dealing w skin glue v dirt?

Have you checked YouTube for instructions on how to re glue?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Shave the dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Regluing isn’t too tough as a personal project, I’d go for it. Use a heat gun and a putty knife to carefully remove the hashed old stuff and start fresh. Shouldn’t cost too much, even using the sheets.

Gravity always wins...

another vote for full reglue. cheap and effective

+1 for reglue. Heat gun, metal putty knife, and 2 tubes of gold label should do ya.

Talking to shop owner yesterday at the bar, buddy sez it doesn't pay for him to do a skin re-glue, cuz its a messy after the store closes job, it costs too much to do for a customer so he will sell you new skins

BUT its not a hard project the sheet glue is 45$ but the tubes of gold label are only like 15$ ( I only ever used 1 tube) and you do need to heat either of them in to the skin

you really need to tack or screw the skins down to a 12" wide piece of wood cuz it will make the job much easier, scrape the glue off using a 5" putty knife and a heat gun, try to scrape towards the center of the skin to keep glue off the plush on the edges ,

if your skins have the no-glue strip its really just a piece of ribbon so pull it off and later you can just stick it back on

put the tube of gold label in a mug of boiling water to get it flowing, squeeze out equal amounts of glue on each skin, spread it around with your putty knife

cover the glue with Baking Parchment ( NOT wax paper ) iron it at medium high which is higher heat than you use for waxing

put the skin outside over night to cool and off gas the glue solvents

in the morning pull off the parchment and yer done
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-15-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

has worked great for me.

Before you reglue, try the basic rejuvenation process with a twist. Get a set of the contact papers that come with BD skins (shops often save them). Pick as much debris as possible off the glue with tweezers/pliers/your fingers. Place the contact paper over the glue shiny side down and iron over at around 150 C. (typical for colder wax) moving the iron about 3 inches per second. Pull the paper while still warm, a bunch of stuff will come off with the wet glue. Clean it off thoroughly with citrus solvent, then wipe all the solvent off the paper and repeat the process. You are effectively removing a thin layer of the glue each time but there will be plenty left. Finish by doing a more thorough ironing job with the clean paper, let cool and peel.

Contact paper = parchment paper?

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Contact paper = parchment paper?

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
    No, the contact paper I use is the OEM stuff that comes on skins with a smooth surface on one side. Parchment is matte and slightly textured on both sides. Parchment may work as well, but doesn't leave a mirrow surface and can't be cleaned well with GooGone.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    No, the contact paper I use is the OEM stuff that comes on skins with a smooth surface on one side. Parchment is matte and slightly textured on both sides.
    Will the parchment work if you can't get your hands on the contact paper that was removed?

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Will the parchment work if you can't get your hands on the contact paper that was removed?
    I have some for you, ACH. Stop by home or office when you are in town.

I notice guy in the vid ^^ just worked around the glueless strip, I would call it not quite a full reglue ... take a little glue off and put a little glue on, I think if you are using the glue transfer sheets you wana take off all the old glue

he said he made a mess in the past scraping all the glue off probably because he didnt have the skin secured to the bench, its a messy job I wouldn't want to get a bench all gooey so I have a designated 1' x 8' piece of particle board I can screw skins to and its portable so I can put it outside to cool and off gas

My buddy did the paper bag method^^ but he ran out of bags so he started using newspaper which is when he called me cuz it made a fucking mess so I went over heated scraped off the old glue/ apply the new glue to earn a case of beer

Skins v. Dog. Renew or ditch?

For new skins and it was just Pine needles and junk, I would sit around and pick all that stuff out with tweezers, but since it’s dirt, I’d probably go with the OEM contact paper method, then if that doesn’t work, re-glue w/ XXX method.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

IME the skin backing that came on the skin works best but eventualy it will rip, so parchment works fine, you can get a roll of it is 5$ at the supermarket, I don't clean it ... just thro it out after using

You are only gona have a perfectly smoove glue surface the very first time you pull off any paper or backing SO don't sweat it, the key to not leaving a bunch of glue on whatever you use is to let the glue cool overnight outside, freezing temps are best.

you CAN actualy just iron the glue with NO paper of any kind if you have a light touch

IME once you start to get glue migration to your bases you can try heating the old glue to rejuvenate but its a sign you will need to reglue sooner than later, which begs the question how much do you need to take off or add ... i just take it all off and replace

I usually just 86 the glueless strip down the middle that he was working around in the video. I've used parchment paper as well, works fine

Nothing a six pack, a little elbow grease and time won't solve. Get to work son.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I have a 3'x100' roll of brown paper that I purchased at the local home improvement store for under $10. It has helped me re-glue many pairs of skins, Pull that silly strip of tape off the middle of your skins if you have it. Like XXX-er, I secure my skins to a board, but I lay down some brown paper first. (glue will get on your board and everything else that you do not want it on). I use a heat gun and scraper to take off most of the old glue, then iron some strips of brown paper to remove the remaining glue. I lay a small strip of new glue down one side of the skin and spread it with a small spatula taking care to work the glue to the edge ( but not over it) with any excess going to the middle, . Then I do the other side, A swipe down the middle to spread my overages finishes the application. I then set them outside to off-gas for a day before ironing the glue smooth. I have never used more than one tube of glue on a set of skins, and usually less. First time you do it you will get glue on a lot of things that you didn't intend to, and it will take some care to get a good job, but if you can get both the peanut butter and the jam on the bread without trashing the kitchen, you can do this. Den

Sometimes I do a quick hot lap over the glue with out adding glue or removing that strip cuz it helps with glue that is migrating to bases, you don't need that silly strip but it does make the skins noticeably easier to get apart, especialy on this last set I did for the GF ... If she can't get them apart guess who is putting them on ?

I don't think you need to get every bit of glue off just whatever comes off with a few passes of the scraper

to go with the bootleg dry suit repairs I thot about doing skin reglue jobs but it looks like too much messy work for me to wana do for beer or money

which is why there are people asking me

SO glue yer own fucking skins eh

Quote Originally Posted by Lahar View Post
    has worked great for me.
    Oh woah, that's not bad at all.

Many times I have heard rumors of dry cleaning your skins (then regluing), but have never confirmed that it actually worked.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I used to read about the dry cleaning of skins back in the TTips.com days but not recently, it strikes me as overkill

You can goggle skin regluing and see vids of everything on a continium from just adding a little glue/no heat to the full removal

Tip for getting skin glue off my hands I been using a teaspoon or so of cooking oil which gets the glue off and then a shot of soap to get the cooking oil off

I wear nitrile gloves now for all these types of jobs that used to eff with my hands. Painting, oil change/lube bike, re-gluing anything, etc. Sooo much easier than scrubbing your hands, and oil is cancerous and I’m sure acetone etc. is great to suck in through your skin.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I used to read about the dry cleaning of skins back in the TTips.com days but not recently, it strikes me as overkill
    I remember those discussions, but I believe that was back in the day when dry cleaners used super-toxic acetone-y type shit, but they aren’t using it anymore.