Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

MONTUCKY COLD SNACK IS THE NEW PBR HERE

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    I grew up on Vitamin R, and the real stuff hasn't existed since the late 90s when they were acquired by Pabst. My memory is obviously hazy, but I'd say the original was skunkier. Now all of those contract-brewed corn syrup and rice beers taste the same to me.

And we did call Rainier Ale green death here on the left coast, and it was strong (for the time), and came in a 40 oz bottle.

Attachment 255577
    Ahhhhh, the green death. We used to call it Reindeer Beer
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Kokanee. Is it more than PBR? Yes. Is it better? Also yes.
    I lived in Creston for a few years. The local watering taps tasted like they had a direct line to the brewery. You could feel the hangover starting before you left the bar with a couple pints under your belt.
    That said, the best brew on tap at RATT at UofA was Kokanee Gold. Not great by any stretch, but remarkably drinkable compared to the barrels available to the locals in Creston. IMO, the brew went seriously downhill after Labatts was sold to interbrew in the mid 90’s

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Around these parts, PBR, Old Milwaukee, and Rainier are owned and brewed by the same people.

And I have it on good authority that the PBR and Old Mil come out of the same tank.
    Not surprising at all.

But Pbr, old mil, and Rainier definitely taste different. So it might be the same facility brewing them, but they're not coming out of the same batch.

This is very bad news.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

As cool as the Cold Snack labels are (when I had the beer it was their Pride Month cans adorned with a rearing pegasus surrounded by rainbows), they ain't got shit on these, imho:

Name:  RBC_Glitter_Moon_with_Tiny_Unicorns_label.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  378.5 KB

Name:  RBC_Sparkle_Muffin_label.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  359.9 KB
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    nononono

THIS is the green death:

as anyone of a certain age from New England will confirm. Haffenreffer Private Stock Malt Liquor. Gives me chills just typing that.
    They owned a property in the town I grew up in. For my 16th birthday my buddies stole the sign out of his yard. Lost it somewhere along the way in college. Wish I still had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    I just got a splitting headache and dry heaved from looking at the bottle.
    This. We used to crush cases of those grenade bottles and try and solve those riddles way too often.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    PBR, then a whole bunch of other shit beers after that.
    PBR, THEN shit beers??

The one cold snack I had in Bozeman tasted like sour/rotten apple juice. Couldn’t get through one.

Also, Coors heavy cans. 30 rack was cheap and decent. I don’t remember price vs PBR tho...

I know own a craft beer store, so I’m somewhat out of my league in this thread

I wasn't going to drink tonight, then I read this thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1542329294.449111.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	255624

Cold snacks are okay, but I'll just as soon drink PBR or Ranier.

Their logo is all over my house!

Name:	R0013407 2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	944.4 KB 
ID:	255626

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I know one of the Montucky guys and have crushed beers him a few times. They used to be around one of the local bike shops a lot. Didn’t crush his beers though. That weird butterscotch taste is really off putting. I was at a party a few years ago that they’d donated a bunch of cases to, and I was fishing in the cooler for a PBR in the dark. I pulled out and opened a Cold Snack by accident. Someone saw it and asked me how I got it and my answer was “Honestly? By mistake.”

I know the label artist, too and he’s a good dude. Talented designer. It’s a great design- Almost wish I liked the beer.
    Who's the artist?
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Kokanee. Is it more than PBR? Yes. Is it better? Also yes.
    Yes!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Oh no, I've been knocked down another peg in Conundrum's view. How will I live with myself?
    I wouldn't worry about what I think. If you're thinking about how to live with yourself, you should probably be more worried about the advice you give in sprocket rockets.

Who's the artist?Yes!
    http://www.luxinvictus.com/

FWIW, Pabst markets about 30 beers. Besides Pabst they sell Old Milwaukee, Lone Star, Old Style, Schlitz, Oly, Blatz, Ranier, Stroh's, Stag, Colt 45, Schaefer, Special Export, Schmidt, Pearl and a few others. A few years ago Pabst moved to Chicago and there was a buzz about job creation. Then Pabst reminded everyone they don't make anything, I seem to recall they had 30 employees. Subsequently they were sold to a Russian Company and moved to San Antonio. The fight between Pabst and Miller is taking place in a Milwaukee court room this week. Miller argues they may be shutting down one of their brewery's resulting in Miller not having enough capacity going forward. The contract between Miller and Pabst expires in 2020. Not sure what the grounds are for Pabst to sue Miller. BTW, read that Miller has introduced a new beer to compete with PBR called Two Hats

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

so in high school we were pretty cheep and I remember "red white and blue" and thinking it was generic PBR. And some others mentioned here. Then in college I fell in with a crowd that were pretty intense beer snobs (early/mid 80s). I remember thier go-to when buying cheep was this. Haven't seen it, really since about 1985. wonder if it's still around.

Name:  LittleKingsBottle.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  31.4 KB

I since went back to PBR on the neighborhood poker night, but really only becuase it pisses the beer snobs off, and they don't bum beers from me.
    "Can't you see..."

Lucky Lager was my favorite cheep beer at one time. I could dig up some change outta the couch cushion and go across the street to buy a 40 from our local market.

Wait for it.... This ain't no Lucky Lager!

Do they still sell regular Colt 45 with the white label anyplace? Not the flavored or high gravity or whatever just the plain old regular Colt 45. One of the best 40 IMO . I haven't seen it in a very long time.

I was gonna post up a Billy Dee version but this one's pretty great

is this beer known on the East Coast? Or the midwest where it's from? I had one a month ago and took a pic for some weird reason. Never seen it before.

Name:	IMG_5615.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	255739

^^^You know it’s good when the price is printed right on the can.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    ^^^You know it’s good when the price is printed right on the can.
    Imagine if all these fancy NEIPAs had that. "$8.25!!"

Wiztannas Best

The nu soda beer.

Did they even remember to ferment it?

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Do they still sell regular Colt 45 with the white label anyplace? Not the flavored or high gravity or whatever just the plain old regular Colt 45. One of the best 40 IMO . I haven't seen it in a very long time.
    Yup. Enjoyed one this summer in fact. Found it at Wal-Mart. In a majority black neighborhood FWIW, so I'm thinking demographics might have something to do with since I never exactly saw any in Bozeman. Lol. I don't know if it was really any good or I was just enjoying the nostalgia of knocking back a couple Colt tall boys with the homies.

Ah, good times:

Hmm I heard something like that about the distributors once. Guy at the convenience store said some stores in town get a 'Hispanic' inventory that has a different mix of beers. I'll have to look for the Colt in a bigger city I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Yup. Enjoyed one this summer in fact. Found it at Wal-Mart. In a majority black neighborhood FWIW, so I'm thinking demographics might have something to do with since I never exactly saw any in Bozeman. Lol. I don't know if it was really any good or I was just enjoying the nostalgia of knocking back a couple Colt tall boys with the homies.

Ah, good times:

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Imagine if all these fancy NEIPAs had that. "$8.25!!"
    It'd be like chips, everyone except the corner store would discount.

Cheers muthafuckas. It's Friday.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181116_164919.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	255771