Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    How did Hipsters ruin it? Seriously.
    From the PBR wiki:

"The beer experienced a sales revival in the early 2000s after a two decade-long slump, largely due to its increasing popularity among urban hipsters. Although the Pabst website features user-submitted photography, much of which features twenty-something Pabst drinkers dressed in alternative fashions, the company has opted not to fully embrace the countercultural label in its marketing, fearing that doing so could jeopardize the very "authenticity" that made the brand popular (as was the case with the poorly received OK Soda). Pabst instead targets its desired market niche through the sponsorship of indie music, local businesses, facial hair clubs (RVA Beard League), post-collegiate sports teams, dive bars and radio programming like National Public Radio's All Things Considered. The beer has also been featured prominently in films such as Blue Velvet, Everything Must Go and Gran Torino, and in television shows such as AMC's Breaking Bad and South Park. The company encourages fan art to be submitted online, and is subsequently shown on the beer's official Facebook page."

I don't really go to bars, but my friends who do have complained for years that PBR has become the beer of choice for the "flannel shirt and ridiculous facial hair" crowd who are usually drinking it ironically.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    I have a sense that they came up with the label before they came up with the beer... We live in an age where marketing is often more important than the actual product.
    They did. A buddy of mine from MT went to high school with the founder. He asked me what I thought about the name a few years back. I asked him how the beer was and he said they were still trying to figure that out. Maybe my buddy was off on the timing of everything but it certainly sounded like they were messing with home brews and thought the name up during that time. I might be talking out of my ass.

"facial hair clubs"??

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    I have a sense that they came up with the label before they came up with the beer... We live in an age where marketing is often more important than the actual product.
    Yep, as opposed to PBR who won a Blue Ribbon at the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893 in Chicago. Way to milk all you can out of a damn award guys!

Really, if you just want a decent light bodied beer and don't want to spend a lot of money, it's hard to go wrong with PBR. Some people say it gives them headaches or the shits, but I suspect that is mainly caused by the fact they drank 10 of them.

I wouldn't turn down a PBR but I'd order a Rainier or Hamms first. PBR, then a whole bunch of other shit beers after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

I don't really go to bars, but my friends who do have complained for years that PBR has become the beer of choice for the "flannel shirt and ridiculous facial hair" crowd who are usually drinking it ironically.
    I don't get this. If you want cheap + 'good enough', PBR is your choice, or at least mine for taste. Ironic or not. I wasted much money in college drinking Milwaukees Best until I upgraded to PBR. The people who don't drink it because it's 'ruined' are just as bad or worse as any hipster, they are also caring WAY too much on what others think.

But I stopped buying PBR when I moved to Utah, it tastes weird with the lower alcohol content. Moab Brewery has good low point beers I swill instead.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    If you want cheap + 'good enough', PBR is your choice, or at least mine for taste.
    Meh, I'm with Conundrum. Plenty of other equally good and equally cheap or cheaper options.

Have one out of Utah, it tastes better. But yeah, taste varies person to person of course, I can see people liking other choices better. Miller High Life ain't bad either.

You've heard of hair club for men, right? https://www.today.com/health/beard-e...nts-2D12172516
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    "facial hair clubs"??

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Here in Montucky, everyone is still drinking PBR. Or Hamm's. Or better yet, Ranier.

If you're gonna drink piss beer, no idea why anyone would pay a premium to get that cold snack stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Hope you are drinking "The Green Death", aka Rainier Ale.
    That ish will get you hammered.

Fresh out of high school my buddy's dad told me "If you want to get f$%ked-up, you can't do better than "The Green Death", to which I replied "What is that?" To which he said "Ranier Ale."

EDIT:
    cursory Webz searches indicate that Ranier Ale may no longer be brewed. Can't seem to get 100% confirmation on this, but the rumour mills are buzzing...
    I grew up on Vitamin R, and the real stuff hasn't existed since the late 90s when they were acquired by Pabst. My memory is obviously hazy, but I'd say the original was skunkier. Now all of those contract-brewed corn syrup and rice beers taste the same to me.

And we did call Rainier Ale green death here on the left coast, and it was strong (for the time), and came in a 40 oz bottle.

Name:  rainierale02.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  218.5 KB

Your memory is correct. In the late 90s I bought 12 packs of 16 oz bottles. I think they were like 7 or 8 bucks for the half rack. It then went away and came back as the 'green death' in large cans and bottles. Later they rolled out the white cans that are a different adjunct lager that tastes more watery. Recently they made a limited 'mountain ale' that was brewed in Washington and supposed to taste more like the original. I tried it and it was ok but obviously not cost effective for them or the consumers so it went away. They have a couple of other flavors now like an IPA that I've never tried and I bet they won't last long either.
    Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    I grew up on Vitamin R, and the real stuff hasn't existed since the late 90s when they were acquired by Pabst. My memory is obviously hazy, but I'd say the original was skunkier. Now all of those contract-brewed corn syrup and rice beers taste the same to me.

And we did call Rainier Ale green death here on the left coast, and it was strong (for the time), and came in a 40 oz bottle.

Name:  rainierale02.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  218.5 KB

Oh no, I've been knocked down another peg in Conundrum's view. How will I live with myself?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Around here it's about the same price as PBR, cheaper than Coors, tastes about the same as any other swill IMO, and annoys my buddy from Montana. So it's a winner in my book.
    Hehe. Wyatt's usually has snacks on sale for 8.99 12 packs and the tall boy sixers are always 6.99

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewd View Post
    Hehe. Wyatt's usually has snacks on sale for 8.99 12 packs and the tall boy sixers are always 6.99
    isn't that kind of expensive for shitty beer? Hamms is, out the door, <$20 for a suitcase sometimes much cheaper. No arguing it's crap, but it's cheap crap.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    raaaaaaineeeeeeerbeeeeeer

Now in Montucky!

Around these parts, PBR, Old Milwaukee, and Rainier are owned and brewed by the same people.

And I have it on good authority that the PBR and Old Mil come out of the same tank.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

^^^ Most "name brand" American and Canadian beer is made by InBev and Molson Coors.

ETA: kinda like this:

Name:  gasgrades.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  51.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Around these parts, PBR, Old Milwaukee, and Rainier are owned and brewed by the same people.

And I have it on good authority that the PBR and Old Mil come out of the same tank.
    Yep, Sleemans, which is owned by Sapporo. Dunno if they have anyone under license to brew in western Canada, or if it all comes out of Guelph?

MONTUCKY COLD SNACK IS THE NEW PBR HERE

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Yep, Sleemans, which is owned by Sapporo. Dunno if they have anyone under license to brew in western Canada, or if it all comes out of Guelph?
    It’s brewed in Vernon. Just down the street from me, at the Okanagan Springs Brewery

I know one of the Montucky guys and have crushed beers him a few times. They used to be around one of the local bike shops a lot. Didn’t crush his beers though. That weird butterscotch taste is really off putting. I was at a party a few years ago that they’d donated a bunch of cases to, and I was fishing in the cooler for a PBR in the dark. I pulled out and opened a Cold Snack by accident. Someone saw it and asked me how I got it and my answer was “Honestly? By mistake.”

I know the label artist, too and he’s a good dude. Talented designer. It’s a great design- Almost wish I liked the beer.

Marketing.

I like the “cold snack” idea, plays well with my liquid lunch mentality

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post

I'm guessing Old Mil came out of the bottom of the tank as they cleaned it. I have swilled a lot of Old Mil, about every 10th? 6 or 12 pack I bought was skunky.

but really, they taste too different to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I'm guessing Old Mil came out of the bottom of the tank as they cleaned it. I have swilled a lot of Old Mil, about every 10th? 6 or 12 pack I bought was skunky.

but really, they taste too different to be the same.
    I suspect they bring different products to different markets under the same name.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Kokanee. Is it more than PBR? Yes. Is it better? Also yes.

Very little chatter about Oly as well. I never fully recovered from the new cans and still swear it tasted better before