Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    You can put holes in a pants or jacket by running into trees on day 1 and that is not really the fault of the manufacturer ... its wear and tear by YOU

I have put a couple of holes in the dead bird products and I just patch them myself with AQS
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Buy Once, Cry Once Shell Jacket and Bibs?? Opinions!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post

No doubt people on this board will disagree...
    Not this guy...
    Stuff fits great, is well thought out and durable.

But, shit does happen, and when it does AQS (per XXX-er)

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    You can put holes in a pants or jacket by running into trees on day 1 and that is not really the fault of the manufacturer ... its wear and tear by YOU

I have put a couple of holes in the dead bird products and I just patch them myself with AQS
    Totally agree, wasn't trying to blame the bird.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Has NeoShell improved in the past couple of years? I looked into a NeoShell jacket from Rab a few years back, and decided against it because I read a number of stories of delams due to the membrane not being able to handle the amount of stretch that was built into it.

Quote Originally Posted by rocca View Post
    TREW fanboy here. Definitely recommend!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen1978 View Post
    Too bad there colors suck balls.
    They seriously fucked the dog this year with some fucking bullshit.
    Training for Alpental

Bibs: Trewth (or new Capow) or Flylow Baker Bib, whichever fits better. Best would be an OG Trewth bib -- stuff is bombproof. Size M for reasonable fit, size L for steezy. Newer Trewth is prolly fine but thinner, stretchier fabric so not as bomber as the OG.

Jacket: sounds like FRS has you covered, but if you're interested in a insulated, breatheable softshell for inbounds, consider the Norrona lofoten powershield pro alpha jacket in size L. I hit a covered dead tree branch hard enough to draw blood (thought I broke my arm, no damage but ended up with a scar), looked down expecting to see a gaping hole but not even a mark on the jacket sleeve.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    I wouldn't know, but that's unfortunate to hear. Everything I have is on the older side now with no complaints. Seems like there's a few years left in mine too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Holy crap the new Trew line up is fugly! I really like my cosmic jacket, it’s 4 years old and still looks newish. I also really like my trewth bibs but the cuff guards suck! They use some really wimpy ass material. Also not a fan of the thigh pockets. The fit and other features are great.
    So funny as when I saw the thread title I knew there was going to be a shit load of diff answers. No dissapoint.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    Has NeoShell improved in the past couple of years? I looked into a NeoShell jacket from Rab a few years back, and decided against it because I read a number of stories of delams due to the membrane not being able to handle the amount of stretch that was built into it.
    The stretch is going to be managed by the greige makeup, denier, and the 3rd layer in the 3L format , (polartec makes it in 2L as well)....you cannot make blanket statements about neoshell because the final product and performance is going to be determined by the design of 2 of the laminate layers e.g. 93%poly/7%lycra/100% nylon tricot interior or whatever....that by the way is not our formula....ours is trade secret....or rwhomever brand could copy...I’ve had flylows in my hand from their 3 year back $500 lab 2.0, it’s different than ours, especially now since they changed the hood collar back to simple standard and went event on the newest versions

btw all premium branded fabrics will delam if u keep washing.... they’re just not made to be submerged in chemicals (soaps) and beat around spinning in washers
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Talked to MiCol. We got it figured out. Dude is on point with his shit. When you get a two PMs back to back explaing the hows and whys Im in. Went with the Antero II+ in the green color. Now just to find some bomber bibs that match it. Thanks yall!

Too bad there colors suck balls.
    Meh, to each their own I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

Now just to find some bomber bibs that match it.
    Flylow Baker bib is prolly the most bomber bib on the market at the moment, at least that I know of. The Arcteryx and Norrona stuff is wimpy thin.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

So let's talk about actual hardshell materials. You mentioned the sabre and the Antero II+, those are both 80D outer 3L waterproof membrane jackets. I have always preferred polartec fabrics to Gore because in my experience they have a better breathabilty/windproofness with an equal amount of waterproof protection. Having a higher linear mass density means it will have a higher weight by default, making it less desirable for long Backcountry trips but probably a better option for riding lifts on cold days. I actually really like Toray Dermizax (same shit Trew uses) for performance. I will say they have had issues with seam seals delaminating but their warranty is top notch. If you check Freeride System's garment care they recommend never washing, it's a pretty simple reason seam tape and welds both will degrade pretty quickly with extended exposure to water. More than 2cents, but just a little mental vomit RE: outer layers.

Also those stinger bibs are definitely bomber if you look at the reinforced sections on the knees down. I know they are made in China but their warranty and production looks pretty great. I will always prefer to support brands like Freeride Systems and Trew out of principal.

Talked to MiCol. We got it figured out. Dude is on point with his shit. When you get a two PMs back to back explaing the hows and whys Im in. Went with the Antero II+ in the green color. Now just to find some bomber bibs that match it. Thanks yall!
    Glad MiCol got to ya. The man knows his shit and fkna USA.

I dont wash my ski garb. I take it off when I get home....I dont go to the bar and wallow in it all night like alot of folk do. Just dont see how some folks get there shit so filthy.

Those Bakers sure look baggy! For my size 5'11, 200#, 35-36" waist / 34" inseam what size is recommended?
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Flylow Baker bib is prolly the most bomber bib on the market at the moment, at least that I know of. The Arcteryx and Norrona stuff is wimpy thin.

I dont wash my ski garb. I take it off when I get home....I dont go to the bar and wallow in it all night like alot of folk do. Just dont see how some folks get there shit so filthy.
    Honestly I think it's more of the funk from skiing all day built up over time.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiberAwptik View Post
    Welp. My dog remains unfucked by those colors. I dig em.

What does your kit look like? Blacked out?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Welp. My dog remains unfucked by those colors. I dig em.

What does your kit look like? Blacked out?
    I went blackout this year. The TD105s helped.

Those Bakers sure look baggy! For my size 5'11, 200#, 35-36" waist / 34" inseam what size is recommended?
    Large. I’m 5’11”, 165#, 31” waist, 33” inseam, and I’d personally wear the large but I like my inbounds pants a little baggy. Not skittle-kids baggy but loose.

FWIW, I have the ArcTeryx Stinger pant for midwinter touring, and they definitely are thinner than I’d like for inbounds even if the specs say 80D.

photos

YMMV or maybe the stuff has changed from 5 years ago but IME Neo shell is good for touring but I don't wear it riding lifts, not water resistant or wind proof enough

IME you can have light weight or resistance to abuse but you can't have it all

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m...t_detail&p=688

these ^^ are some of the toughest bibs, you see people in BC still wearing them 30 years later
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A little bit of stretch seems to go a long way in durability. Pay attention to the denier count too. Lot of 40's out there. For sitting on old slow lifts in the wind then skiing down tree runs I prefer much higher. My RPK is still going strong after all these years. Stretch woven 70 or 80 denier polyester GoreTex with the felt backer inside.

New OR Skyward 2 jacket looks amazing. It's listed as only 50 denier and no felt backer, but I might want something more breathable, IDK. Then again, it's probably that the breathability in my old shell is toast.

tl;dr lot of light weight garbage out there, pay attention to thread count or whatever denier is (weight?).
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrewd View Post
    So let's talk about actual hardshell materials. You mentioned the sabre and the Antero II+, those are both 80D outer 3L waterproof membrane jackets. I have always preferred polartec fabrics to Gore because in my experience they have a better breathabilty/windproofness with an equal amount of waterproof protection. Having a higher linear mass density means it will have a higher weight by default, making it less desirable for long Backcountry trips but probably a better option for riding lifts on cold days. I actually really like Toray Dermizax (same shit Trew uses) for performance. I will say they have had issues with seam seals delaminating but their warranty is top notch. If you check Freeride System's garment care they recommend never washing, it's a pretty simple reason seam tape and welds both will degrade pretty quickly with extended exposure to water. More than 2cents, but just a little mental vomit RE: outer layers.
    Ooh ooh, Antero 2+ is 80d?
    No longer stuck.

When do we get FRS pants? Preferably insulated in at least the seat and knees.

Are they just trying to restock colors for this year? I like the yellow.
    No longer stuck.