Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Buy Once, Cry Once Shell Jacket and Bibs?? Opinions!

Looking to drop some coin this year on new ski gear. Looking for shells. I live in 30 minutes from Leadville and was gona buy a Freeride Systems Antero II plus but the color I wanted was sold out....so looking at Arcteryx again as I had first done. Thinking Sabre jacket and Stinger bibs. I ski mostly inbounds but looking to further my experience this year since I have a little more time on my hands. Im a buy once, cry once type guy and wont something that is bomber and isn't gona shred on me the first time I get in the trees. Is there something else I should look at? For sure not into the park rat baggy scene. I do get out to California, Utah, Jackson Hole and hoping for some Targhee action this year as well. Would probably also use the jacket for some other season activities as well. Im thinking Im a large so if any of you guys have some almost new stuff or new with tags stuff you dont want shoot me a PM. Thanks in advance!

I got one of the TNF L5 Pro (the non fuseform one) and am pretty blown away. I don't know why more people don't do the large double front pockets. No more fuckery of having pockets sorta covered by a backpack or harness or figuring out which pocket you but something in. They are big enough that I can get in full length, wall to wall cut, BD nylon powder ski skins into the pockets. Lifting up your arms also doesn't move the jacket up at all.

Yeah it's not a "ski" piece so you don't have a pass pocket, but for a one bomber hardshell it's perfect to me.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I'm a big fan of the Stio Environ package I picked up last year. I actually bought the XT version of the shell again - same shell and fabric as the Environ with one less pocket to lose my keys, and they removed the powder skirt and $30 or so from the MSRP. The only reason I'm piping up is that you wanted bomber, and in my case the dermizax was impervious to both trees and travel - I was able to flip it and say honestly it looked like it was brand new. I haven't bought Arcteryx stuff, for me the Stio fits better than Patagonia (love the company, hate the shell sizing) and the Environ fabric was much "quieter" than the pow slayer and untracked I tried on. I skiied mainly when it was extra cold last year, so can't speak too much on dumping heat, but I do love the pocket and zipper layouts - especially on the pants - as well.

https://www.stio.com/pages/search-results?q=environ

I've been super happy with Black Diamond's quality the past couple of seasons. I have the Helio snow shell and one of their stretch rain shells that are both great. Strongly considered Flylow, too, but being a smaller company they were out of stock at the time I looked.

Curious to hear what people recommend for pants/bibs. I'm still rocking a pretty beat pair of 686 pants that may not make it through the season.

Never had a hardshell jacket that didn't eventually delaminate on me. Make sure to think about warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    TNF L5 Pro
    hm, color me impressed - the cut of that jacket is pretty sorted for very varied uses.

My go to jackets are Sweet Protection Monkeywrench and Scalpel jackets (both are discontinued). They have and will continue to see a ton of use and has taken care of my quite well without any issues whatsoever. Their comparable jacket this year is the Supernaut. I use both Supernaut and Monkeywrench pants - the former is lighter and has a skinnier fit meant for touring, the latter is more heavy duty. Both are excellent.

Norrøna also makes some pretty bomb proof high tech jackets, even if they are a bit on the pricy side of things. Trollveggen is made for climbing, Lofoten and Lyngen are the main freeride jackets, while their Recon jacket was originally made for military/tactical use (developed by NOR/SWE/DANSOF) - so they are pretty darn tough, if expensive and works very well for skiing. Similar use as an Arcteryx Leaf (pretty awesome as well), just longer.
    Last edited by kid-kapow; 11-14-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: add pants

Cool Ill check out some that were mentioned. For sure on that warranty.

I bought the stinger/sidewinder combo a couple years ago, just sold it here to get some new stuff.

I don’t think I’d call it bomber. Much thinner fabric than it used to be. I got some small cuts and snags skiing in the trees that I was surprised by.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

I got a buddy running a ski shop and he told me " if the logo sez Arcterxy or DPS ... I can sell it "

I think they use thinner material to make it lighter and the cut is possibly slimmer

as opposed to baggy stuff hanging off your ass as you eating away the bottoms of yer pants with every step

In any case AQS is always your friend
    Last edited by XXX-er; 11-14-2018 at 05:13 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looks good, priced better than Arcteryx. I haven't read anything bad about them in the little Ive looked.....only where some lady cut the cuff on here boot dials. Do they offer a TGR member discount? How is sizing on them? Im like 5'11, 200# with 36" waste.....dont judge me.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Stio Environ package I picked up last year. I actually bought the XT version of the shell again - same shell and fabric as the Environ with one less pocket to lose my keys, and they removed the powder skirt and $30 or so from the MSRP. The only reason I'm piping up is that you wanted bomber, and in my case the dermizax was impervious to both trees and travel - I was able to flip it and say honestly it looked like it was brand new. I haven't bought Arcteryx stuff, for me the Stio fits better than Patagonia (love the company, hate the shell sizing) and the Environ fabric was much "quieter" than the pow slayer and untracked I tried on. I skiied mainly when it was extra cold last year, so can't speak too much on dumping heat, but I do love the pocket and zipper layouts - especially on the pants - as well.

https://www.stio.com/pages/search-results?q=environ

Good to know. What did you replace it with? More impressed with it?

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I bought the stinger/sidewinder combo a couple years ago, just sold it here to get some new stuff.

I don’t think I’d call it bomber. Much thinner fabric than it used to be. I got some small cuts and snags skiing in the trees that I was surprised by.

Stio have my interest peaked but when I couldn't find anything wrong with it somebody said they were junk and buttons and labels have all fell off his summer garb. I tried to call them today during biz hours and no one answered the phone and no voicemail setup.....kinda odd.

Moving on. Tell me what works and is bomb proof.

TREW fanboy here. Definitely recommend!

Too bad there colors suck balls.

Strafe Nomad jacket and Strafe Nomad bibs... You can thank me later...

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

Different color FRS jacket and some Tomahawk bibs from STP. I have a lot of days and use from the Ant 2 + and the only thing that has needed fixing is the velcro wrist cuff. I could have sent it back to MiCol, but a few stitches on the sewing machine fixed it (this was into the second season of use). Pants=whatever works for you. If FRS and RailRiders would team up for a colab, we might have a worthy COBO pant.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    Strafe Nomad jacket and Strafe Nomad bibs... You can thank me later...

There local but 2 year warranty? Seems lame to me for a boutique garb shop.

I've had a deadbird outer layer for years.
    Stingray Jacket and Theta? bibs.

I would say pretty bomber.
    No holes until late last season from being unable to negotiate passage with a group of nested tree aprons.
    All those other blind-fallline-around-the-tree-turns had worked out; put two punctures in the lower legs.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by Glen1978 View Post
    There local but 2 year warranty? Seems lame to me for a boutique garb shop.
    PM MiCol about an FRS jacket in your color. It's not even a COBO purchase in the outerwear world price-wise, but the stuff is really fucking good.

Buy Once, Cry Once Shell Jacket and Bibs?? Opinions!

I replaced it w new arcteryx stuff.

Not bomber but I’m dry and it fits me well.

Every 2 year replacement is ok w me.

Oh, and a sick bird suit for cheap from STP

I rip the groomed on tele gear

My feeling is if you have an issue after more than a full year of skiing is through wear and tear... I am a HUGE Patty fan not because of their warranty, but because of their quality and style/sizing... No doubt Patty's warranty is second to none, but I think it is way more than what should be offered... I have not had to warranty any stuff due to the company, but the stuff I have paid to have fixed is due to abuse and heavy use... No company should not have to offer a warranty because of this... Two yrs is to me more than enough...

No doubt people on this board will disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP INTRO View Post
    PM MiCol about an FRS jacket in your color. It's not even a COBO purchase in the outerwear world price-wise, but the stuff is really fucking good.
    I had an Antero II+ bought as there rep said it was instock.....this was over the weekend and when he got back on Monday it had been sold. I really liked the jacket but just couldnt come up with a color I liked. I havent heard but one or two negative comments on FRS jackets. Maybe I should revisit.

Originally wanted Arcteryx until I got on here. Now people dont seem to rave about them but dont complain either really.

I've been in FRS jackets for a long time. My Antero jacket is starting season 4 and it looks brand new. I put a hole in one sleeve bushwhacking through some spruces but little bit of gore-tex patch and seam seal and it is hardly noticeable. Jacket is bulletproof and everything just works. MiCol is focused on hardshells right now and the NeoShell material is legit. For the $$ you won't find better gear and their customer service is 2nd to none.

^I am a big fan of the Ant 2 +. It is highly designed and simply useful. My other experience is with Btn AK stuff, and the FRS is a notch above in design and equal to or greater in fabric choice. Price is way below the closest AK offering, also.

Ive got a PM into MiCol....lets see if we cant figure something out.