Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heavily rockered powder touring setup

Can smb please share their experience with fat heavy rockered ski touring setups? I've seen skis like DPS Lotus 138, even DPS Spoon with touring bindings. Is the grip good enough? Are you doomed to be track-maker for the whole way up or else you will slip? Asking because I have Moment Ghost Chant with rocker profile like this:
    And I absolutely love them in powder. Was thinking of putting some touring binders for the upcoming hut trip with mostly powder touring and tree skiing.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moment_ghostside_2012.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	255393
    Last edited by HukuTa_KydecHuk; 11-14-2018 at 06:22 AM.

I have Moment Donner Party 196cm for powder day touring. No problems, you have shit loads of traction where most of your weight is. Icy skin track would not be nice since ski is so wide, but that not the case on powder days

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using TGR Forums mobile app

138s tour great

Sent from my VS995 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    I have Moment Donner Party 196cm for powder day touring. No problems, you have shit loads of traction where most of your weight is. Icy skin track would not be nice since ski is so wide, but that not the case on powder days

well, from rocker profile pics donner party has a lot more effective edge (sounds funny) - almost no tail rocker plus they are 1/2 inch fatter.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    well, from rocker profile pics donner party has a lot more effective edge (sounds funny) - almost no tail rocker plus they are 1/2 inch fatter.
    Mine has significant tai rocker, maybe not the same model? I have also been touring on praxis powderboards, no problems at all. Your skis will be just fine if you have proper width skins.

If you can filter out the thread cuntage, touring on R/R skis gets discussed a fair amount towards the middle/end of this thread. Takeaway is some like it and some don’t https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=318258

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only way to know is to try it yourself! Guaranteed they will work, just gotta see if it fits your preference

I use BMT 122's (full reverse camber) with Colltex mix skins and they work great, though I haven't taken them up any real icy tracks. For me the bigger issue was when the stretch of track get's real skinny, get's a little cramped. When you get to the top it's totally worth it.

Toures DPS Spoons in Japan (powder) without issues - I also toured them once on some hard snow (was an emergency case - no other skis available to me) and it sucked big time: almost impossible to grip in a traverse!

So in the conditions powder skis are for you will have no trouble but they are not good for anything else.

I'd say it depends on what/where you are touring. If you are not crossing any steep icy stuff, or don't need to edge it for a long time, you will be just fine.

unlimited grip on most soft snow. no need to do any sort of stomp to get grip in mediocre snow because all your weight is already in mid.

on steep but soft snow they sucked at holding an edge on traverses where the snow was sluffing away.
    the tails would lose grip and rotate downhill. leaving you either skiing backwards downhill, or falling flat on your face uphill scrambling for grip.
    this got real dangerous once when i stumbled into a gap in the trees and found myself in reasonably high avi danger sun effected snow.

on steep firm snow traverses you have no grip at all. have to bootpack instead.

combined with the awful ass wiggling ski style of full rockered skis it was just another reason for me to get rid of them asap.
    so you could say im rather opinionated

It depends on where you are touring my early season touring rig is old JJ's with skins that are too narrow which is good enough for where I'm likely to ski in rock season up at the ski hill

Most of the time Iike more ski on piste and I find softer skis have better grip than stiffer skis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I see it's a controversial theme Thanks a lot for the replies, will have to figure out myself.
    Other question - do you guys have sets of skins cut exactly for R/R skis? Although mine are not R/R. ATM I only have 1 set cut for 108mm skis and Ghost Chants are 124mm wide. On paper it sounds a lot but when on skis it doesn't look like I'm losing that much Sq/cm of traction

I have some old but still good 98mm skins on a 115mm rockered ski with an FR+

the skins definately backslide more easily than my W2W cut skins on other setups

The bindings are heavy but work ok, The skis are old/used/grooved enough i don't care much about them and there are a couple core shots so hitting the odd rock doesn't hurt

This setup is 3 recycled parts of old setups for rock hunting that I wouldn't put together on purpose cuz I'm so over the 5 point design and heavily rockered skis in general
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I used 117mm skins on my Donner Parties, just lined it by the inside edge. Some slipping, but doable on soft skintrack.

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    I see it's a controversial theme Thanks a lot for the replies, will have to figure out myself.
    Other question - do you guys have sets of skins cut exactly for R/R skis? Although mine are not R/R. ATM I only have 1 set cut for 108mm skis and Ghost Chants are 124mm wide. On paper it sounds a lot but when on skis it doesn't look like I'm losing that much Sq/cm of traction
    It will definitely accentuate the already suboptimal performance you'll get out of the setup when sidehilling. I have not-quite-W2W skins on a number of pairs of skis and I've lived. W2W is ideal though imo. I've gone with a 13mm gap on 102mm underfoot skis and it sucked enough I got new skins for them. You're looking at 16mm on 124mm.

Worst case pick up some cheap used skins here?

You'll be fine, just get some big ski crampons.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I use a Skevik Oda (reverse / reverse) I have used this as my primary set up 90% of the time for the last 5 years ( despite having other options in my quiver )

As said before, it's only problematic in steep icey, established, ski tracks.

That said, steep and icey establish ski tracks suck for everyone.

The skis are amazing at breaking trail in deep pow, and manage low tide conditions extremely well ( as there is not much tip to catch on things).

Depending on your binding, a ski crampon is great solution to marginal skin track conditions.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    I use BMT 122's (full reverse camber) with Colltex mix skins and they work great, though I haven't taken them up any real icy tracks. For me the bigger issue was when the stretch of track get's real skinny, get's a little cramped. When you get to the top it's totally worth it.
    I would not characterize this ski as "heavily Rockered"...

I recently got rid of a pair of Moment Exit Worlds that had a lot of reverse camber, though the rocker angle wasn't as drastic as your picture. They toured fine most of the time, but I definitely had to adjust my weight and balance in firm or spring snow more than with other skis. I found I couldn't always use the typical upright posture in those conditions and had to weight the fronts of the skis more than normal. Had I kept them for this season I would have added a pair of crampons.

Hoji tours on Renegades
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    line ep pro
    Ditto. Great ski on the decent. Kick turns are easy. Holds grip just fine with G3 skins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

I have some skins pre-cut for 186 Renegades that I use on my 192 138s. A bit narrow in front of the binding, but full-width behind the binding. Works great so far, but on heavily used skin tracks (e.g. what you will have if you end up doing lots of laps near your hut) your knees/ankles get worked.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ...I'm so over the 5 point design and heavily rockered skis in general
    Could you elaborate a bit on why? Good to hear differing opinions

Put me in the "it's fine and only results in occasional minor annoyance" camp.

If your skins are too narrow, I've seen some people cut a slit down the middle so the skin can be spread wall to wall (leaving a gap in the middle where it probably matters less).