Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    taylor swift? i know nothing about her but the boy and i started hearing her songs on the xmas radio channel and i want to stab myself in the ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Top 50? Can you find multiple respected people within the general pop music industry that agree with that hot take? Genuinely curious and with a side of troll.
    Can't wait for his next pearl.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    taylor swift? i know nothing about her but the boy and i started hearing her songs on the xmas radio channel and i want to stab myself in the ears.
    dude, don’t disrespect t swizzle

1) Donald Trump
    2) Barry Obama
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Taylor Swift

Jeff Fucking Dunham. Before you say he’s properly rated as “bad” - he’s been one of the highest grossing comedians for years and that’s just gross.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Metallica

So Benny was apparently a teenage girl in the 60's and loved the Beatles.

Beece said it better. I certainly think they are top 3 all time, but they were a pop band that made their nut, and as a result were given the artistic liberty to pursue avenues being forged already by Hendrix, The Who, & the Cream dudes earlier work like the Grand Bond Organization.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What? So, how old do you have to be to judge quality?

Did you get beat up in high school because you listened to classical?
    Oh, even a neonate can "judge" quality, but only within their limited frame of reference. When does one's frame of reference permit an accurate judgement that can stand the test of time, and apply across a wide spectrum of the population? Ignoring a few outliers let's say 30 - 50 - lot's of individual variation. I mean, some people never get there.

"Listen" to classical music in high school?? Hell, I played classical music in HS, but not very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    Yeah I'd say the opposite for Burt Reynolds, that he was underrated- most people know him for his beefcake roles in stupid car chase movies, married to Loni Anderson, Playgirl centerfold etc. But the guy was prolific and did some good movies- Deliverance is another besides Boogie Nights.
    Plus he is Forrest Gump’s father

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Oh, even a neonate can "judge" quality, but only within their limited frame of reference. When does one's frame of reference permit an accurate judgement that can stand the test of time, and apply across a wide spectrum of the population? Ignoring a few outliers let's say 30 - 50 - lot's of individual variation. I mean, some people never get there.

"Listen" to classical music in high school?? Hell, I played classical music in HS, but not very well.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    So Benny was apparently a teenage girl in the 60's and loved the Beatles.

Beece said it better. I certainly think they are top 3 all time, but they were a pop band that made their nut, and as a result were given the artistic liberty to pursue avenues being forged already by Hendrix, The Who, & the Cream dudes earlier work like the Grand Bond Organization.
    How old is everyone here? What the fuck. The Beatles were almost history when everybody you mention hit their stride. Hendrix made a beeline to John and Paul when he got to London to pay his respects. Cream was just a very loud blues/rock band, anyway, what did they ever invent? The Who? C'mon. Wouldn't have made it out of clubs if not for Moon.
    For fucks sake, read some history. Amazing that somebody could think that Cream enabled the White Album.

Bill Murray.

The Beatles were the most important band, I love them yadda yadda. But man people get defensive if you suggest that there were also excellent bands who didn't owe their entire existence to the Beatles! Musicians like Hendrix influenced later Beatles stuff as much as vice-versa. And of course the Beatles early stuff is mostly influenced by American R&B, so by that metric Larry Williams (who wrote Slow Down, Dad Boy & Dizzy Miss Lizzy) is who we all should really be talking about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Williams

I like the Beatles but they are definitely overrated.

What would you go back in time to see in the early sixties?

released in 1961

released in 1964

released in 1963

Early sixties rock/pop was pretty terrible. It was childish and for children. Most bands didn't play their own instruments on studio recordings. Were the Beatles better than most? For sure. But that's no great accomplishment. They were hacks compared to blues and jazz musicians of the era. Yes, I get that these are different genres, but they aren't unrelated. There is a reason rock grew up by borrowing/stealing from Blues.

By the late sixties, when rock had grown up the Beatles certainly had done some growing of their own. But their music was often a polite, restrained version of the bands that were really killing it. My father's parents always thought the Beatles were ok. They hated the Hendrix, Cream and Dylan my dad preferred.

The same way Elvis merged blues, R&B, rockabilly, Gospel and bluegrass and into a watered down, palatable genre for the masses, the Beatles took psychedelic rock and made a version that didn't make mom and dad nervous. And they wrote some great songs.

But unless you were a teenage girl in the early sixties, the adoration of the Beatles outweighs their accomplishments.

Holy shit.

Dude, nobody listens or listened to Coltraine. Get real.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    The Beatles were the most important band, I love them yadda yadda. But man people get defensive if you suggest that there were also excellent bands who didn't owe their entire existence to the Beatles! Musicians like Hendrix influenced later Beatles stuff as much as vice-versa. And of course the Beatles early stuff is mostly influenced by American R&B, so by that metric Larry Williams (who wrote Slow Down, Dad Boy & Dizzy Miss Lizzy) is who we all should really be talking about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Williams
    Well, yeah, of course. Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee, yadda yadda. And the Beatles made it a point to pay props to every one they could meet on the first few tours. But, ask any living musician from early British Rock, and every one, Richards, McCartney, anyone, and they can still tell you about the first time they heard Heartbreak Hotel. Hugely influencial record.

Overrated celebrities - clickbait listicle style

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I like the Beatles but they are definitely overrated.

What would you go back in time to see in the early sixties?

released in 1961

released in 1964

released in 1963

Early sixties rock/pop was pretty terrible. It was childish and for children. Most bands didn't play their own instruments on studio recordings. Were the Beatles better than most? For sure. But that's no great accomplishment. They were hacks compared to blues and jazz musicians of the era. Yes, I get that these are different genres, but they aren't unrelated. There is a reason rock grew up by borrowing/stealing from Blues.

By the late sixties, when rock had grown up the Beatles certainly had done some growing of their own. But their music was often a polite, restrained version of the bands that were really killing it. My father's parents always thought the Beatles were ok. They hated the Hendrix, Cream and Dylan my dad preferred.

The same way Elvis merged blues, R&B, rockabilly, Gospel and bluegrass and into a watered down, palatable genre for the masses, the Beatles took psychedelic rock and made a version that didn't make mom and dad nervous. And they wrote some great songs.

But unless you were a teenage girl in the early sixties, the adoration of the Beatles outweighs their accomplishments.
    Yet another whose whore mouth needs to be shut
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 11-16-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Overrated celebrities - clickbait listicle style

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Yet another whose whore mouth needs to be shut
    BTW....talk about overrated....Cream. Big fucking yawn. “Tales of Brave Ulysses”....a prime example of pretentious bullshit
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 11-16-2018 at 11:34 AM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Over rated how I suppose?

If you listen to the breadth of their work and see the evolution of it as well as their cultural influence and impact on music, you would have to put them in top 5 rock AND pop bands.

For those thinking they are over rated, who is in your top 5?
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Yeah, yeah, yeah. And when Lennon asked Dylan his opinion of what the Beatles "were trying to say" on "Let It Be" Dylan said something like "I don't think you're saying much of anything."

The Beatles were a great pop band. I went to see McCartney a few years back with my dad and was amazed by the high quality of the show. The guy is the ultimate pro. And that is pretty much how I think of the Beatles too: the ultimate pros. Tidy, polished, controlled and nice. But there isn't a Beatles song out there that blows me away until someone else plays it.

McCartney is nothing without Lennon. Much like Richards and Jagger's solo work blows. Sometimes you need a team.

Dude, nobody listens or listened to Coltraine [sic]. Get real.
    Surely, you mean Coltrane. I listen to 'Trane most days and have done so for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLanTheman View Post
    Bill Murray.
    No, no, no, no, no, no, nooooo....

Back that up.

Well, a few people.

Well, a few people
    Correct, because only so many people can hear most of Coltrane's works, although anyone with an ear can enjoy the more accessible Coltrane, i.e., Coltrane Plays the Blues, Ballads, Duke Ellington & John Coltrane