Dynafit bumpers??

So this is probably a crazy idea, but...

Free pivot bindings kinda suck for xc skiing, a lot of folks opt for say NNN bc or normal 3 pin for a long traverse fishscale ski, but these systems suck in terms of durability and don't offer that free pivot for long climbs with skins. (I guess you could use some modern, but heavy tele bindings for this) So what about a bumper like you find in old XC race bindings (think salomon SNS profile) that you affix to your toe piece when you want to kick and glide, then you pull it out for long climbs with skins.

Does this exist?

Is it crazy?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

What boots do you imagine using these with? If it’s AT boots then you aren’t gonna get any benefits as no duck bill. Tele boots with tech fittings are heavy so surely that just leaves the old f1’s?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've pondered the same idea, although never worked on it. RS, there would be benefit with regular non-bellowed AT boots. It'd be a less floppy system for fat fishscales, better for step turns and maneuvering, and on rolling terrain some resistance would be nice for downhills.

I was thinking backlands without the tongues for boots as they feel a lot like an overbuilt skate ski race boot. In my xc skis most of the flex of lifting the heel comes from the bumper at the front not the booth flexing so I'm thinking a soft bumper to do all of the flexing allowing you to skate etc with the free pivot and have a bit more control going downhill without locking heels.

There is a small community of folks here who like to do 100+ mile traverses and they all use dynafit bindings for them on basically xc skis, as all other systems wear out within the 100 miles. (you should see the carnage).
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    but heavy
    I laughed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I was thinking backlands without the tongues for boots
    That'd do. I use similar TLT6M's without tongues for fat fishscale meadow skipping.