Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Do You Refrigerate Your Red Wine?

A high end full size wine fridge is $2k. You can get a nice under counter one for $500. The under counter ones are nice for white wine drinkers. The full size fridge is overkill for all but the snobbiest wine snobs.

Just have the cabinet maker put an open face wine rack in casework somewhere.

Edit: The $2k quote must be cost for the fridge plus the sparky and the carpenter to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    A high end full size wine fridge is $2k. You can get a nice under counter one for $500. The under counter ones are nice for white wine drinkers. The full size fridge is overkill for all but the snobbiest wine snobs.

Just have the cabinet maker put an open face wine rack in casework somewhere.

Edit: The $2k quote must be cost for the fridge plus the sparky and the carpenter to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Actually no....Priced out recommended KitchenAid and SubZero Models as standalone....the build out is already quotes in my cabinet maker and contractor's quotes. I see some Danby models that get good reviews...but never heard of half these sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    Actually no....Priced out recommended KitchenAid and SubZero Models as standalone....the build out is already quotes in my cabinet maker and contractor's quotes. I see some Danby models that get good reviews...but never heard of half these sellers.
    If you don't have $100 bottles of wine I'm saying you don't need to spend that kinda cash.

Costco, $599, no questions asked replacement policy.
    https://www.costco.com/wine-enthusia...100463994.html

a $2k fridge for $15 wine is the wrong kind of status play

I looked into an under-the-counter wine fridge when I added a dry bar in my kitchen. Those things look cool but ultimately would do very little for my $15 boxes of wine...

Name:  Frosty_The_Wine_Cooler.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  120.1 KB
    watch out for snakes

Tell her she can have what she wants as long as you get the multi tap kegarator.

Then stick your bottles and cans in her fridge anyway.

Do You Regurgitate Red Wine?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

SB with the win. I love the big smile and lightsaber.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I've been told that stupid new green laws require wine fridges to be environmentally friendly. That's why they used to cost $200 and are now 2k-3k. At least that's the bullshit they spew.

I got a yale beverage center, holds about 60 bottles/tall boys and 8 bottles of wine. A nice compromise since she doesnt even drink wine.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    I've been told that stupid new green laws require wine fridges to be environmentally friendly. That's why they used to cost $200 and are now 2k-3k. At least that's the bullshit they spew.

I got a yale beverage center, holds about 60 bottles/tall boys and 8 bottles of wine. A nice compromise since she doesnt even drink wine.
    I have some great ocean front property in Arizona to sell you, the bridge is extra.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    I’m shocked, they priced the best name brands out there and they were expensive. Go find anything from SubZero that’s cheap. That’s like saying, I priced out a Bentley; do cars have to be so expensive?

Wine fridges and coolers / cellars are expensive and unreliable largely because some wine snobs eschew traditional compressor technology because it causes too many vibrations. Now the vast vast majority of wine enthusiasts will tell you that the difference between a bottle vibrated a bit and not is so negligible that virtually no one would tell the difference. But that still is the direction the industry has went. As a result you get a super expensive and unreliable product. But this is a product designed for people who spend $100 on three pounds of grapes processed a certain way.

I got a basement that’s 50 degrees year round and keep the goods down there (mostly sours and other barrel aged beers plus some not pricey reds ) and bring them to serving temp when needed. If you don’t have a place to keep from heat then a fridge is a good idea. I like the sound of cheap fridge tho. 2k seems a lot much

Maybe this belongs in that thread about stupid shit batshit crazy shit wives buy..... she earns her keep, what the fuck do I care.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’m shocked, they priced the best name brands out there and they were expensive. Go find anything from SubZero that’s cheap. That’s like saying, I priced out a Bentley; do cars have to be so expensive?

Wine fridges and coolers / cellars are expensive and unreliable largely because some wine snobs eschew traditional compressor technology because it causes too many vibrations. Now the vast vast majority of wine enthusiasts will tell you that the difference between a bottle vibrated a bit and not is so negligible that virtually no one would tell the difference. But that still is the direction the industry has went. As a result you get a super expensive and unreliable product. But this is a product designed for people who spend $100 on three pounds of grapes processed a certain way.
    Now there is consumer advice you can use.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Now the vast vast majority of wine enthusiasts will tell you that the difference between a bottle vibrated a bit and not is so negligible that virtually no one would tell the difference. But that still is the direction the industry has went.
    You've obviously never tried to decant a vintage Bordeux at 42,000 feet when the turbulence hits.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

It can be a real pain to get that out of the headliner too.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    It can be a real pain to get that out of the headliner too.
    Just leave the maintenance crew an extra bottle and it'll fix itself.