Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Aspen/Snowmass 18-19 Season Thread.

I usually prefer Aspen Mt. on storm days. The gondola is really comfortable.

Hit a couple of high speed Top to Bottom runs off the Gondi till it gets a line. Then take 1A/Ruthies to the Dumps.

Afternoon ride the Gondi and hit Face, Kristi/Jackpot, Glades and Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I usually prefer Aspen Mt. on storm days. The gondola is really comfortable.

Hit a couple of high speed Top to Bottom runs off the Gondi till it gets a line. Then take 1A/Ruthies to the Dumps.

Afternoon ride the Gondi and hit Face, Kristi/Jackpot, Glades and Bingo.
    Sage advice, add some spice if that’s your bag off the Gondi

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Hit a couple of high speed Top to Bottom runs off the Gondi till it gets a line.
    Hope you like T to B's as it might be tough to find a lift line today

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    My thoughts too.
    Fun hiking into the bowl; G3(?) and MoshPit.

Which mountain for tomorrow (will it snow?)?
    Seems like you got a nice day out there with pretty continuous snowfall!

B L O W E R yesterday. All-time champagne morning at Ajax. Not the quantity of legend, but the quality fer sure.

Agreed, one of the most fun days of the season for sure. Busy day on the hill (7" am report and sunny on a Saturday will do that) yet I walked directly onto the gondola at 9am and skied 1A lift line at noon and was still exploding pockets of fresh snow on every turn.

For sure. We lapped corkscrew+norway a few times mid day. Money each time.

Got a quick couple bowl laps this morning - caught a guy midway up who had his snowboard boots strapped to his pack. He was hiking up in what appeared to be Merrell's or some low top hiker. WTF???

I walked out at 8:35 Saturday and still got second chair on 1A. Only the Flyers and me.
    But it was the busiest day at 1A all season, with Gorsuch giving away free beer. They are spending big bucks on this election.

I hope everyone votes no. It’s a much too complex of issue for a single ballot question.

I walked out at 8:35 Saturday and still got second chair on 1A. Only the Flyers and me.
    But it was the busiest day at 1A all season, with Gorsuch giving away free beer. They are spending big bucks on this election.

I hope everyone votes no. It’s a much too complex of issue for a single ballot question.
    It'll be an interesting one for sure.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

The developers are on the clock, if we vote no then they will likely be forced to build the 2011 approval that was in place when they purchased the site in 2014 for $22 million. Which is not nearly as much of a community benefit as the current proposal in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong because I think there's a very good chance that it will not pass.

I don't mind the redevelopment, but losing the skiers chalet and the never-never land vibe is tough... so is the low end of employee housing as an issue....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

My thoughts (coming from someone that works in hospitality):

1. We don't need more lodging. Yes, we have lost hotel rooms over the past 30 years, but we have gained a huge number of AirBNB rentals. I don't know the exact numbers, but I know that town is rarely above 90% occupancy and when it is, town is jam packed and most locals I know don't want more people during these time periods.
    2. Ideally, we would have more diverse, affordable lodging, to bring in a different clientele, but with property values being what they are, this does not seem realistic. How's that "affordable" Mark Hunt hotel moving along?
    3. Is more lodging really helping the community? When was the last time you heard a local say, "town really needs another hotel." Never. Instead, what town needs is more affordable housing to increase the % of locals living in town and to cut down on traffic, pollution, etc. Or some way to cut down on AirBNB and VRBO and incentivize long-term rentals.
    4. I'm all for updating the lift, building a restaurant, ski museum, etc, but not the current proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    The developers are on the clock, if we vote no then they will likely be forced to build the 2011 approval that was in place when they purchased the site in 2014 for $22 million. Which is not nearly as much of a community benefit as the current proposal in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong because I think there's a very good chance that it will not pass.
    I don't think we should be voting yes because we fear the alternative.

IMO, the increased community benefit is negated by the fact that it will have 150+ employees that it is not creating housing for.
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 02-25-2019 at 01:50 PM.

A yes vote will mean 1A is ripped out, until they excavate both sites and haul out 11,000 truck loads of rock. Which will go in an already finite land fill and clog Main Street.

At a minimum, we will be without a lift for two years. Either project loses funding or is delayed for any reason, and we’re fucked for who knows how long.
    Base Village, Aspen Club, Dancing Bear etc, etc, etc. have all sat idle for many years before completion.

I pleaded with city council to require a performance bond.
    Adam Fritch thought that was a great idea, until he caved and voted with Ann and Ward.

Instead they decided to withhold the city’s $4.3 million dollar ransom, until they get a CO.
    That’s not shit and won’t get the project completed. Plus in reality, the city’s contribution, of tax payers money, is more like 18 million, if you take in all the concessions.

Aspen/Snowmass 18-19 Season Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    My thoughts (coming from someone that works in hospitality):

3. Is more lodging really helping the community? When was the last time you heard a local say, "town really needs another hotel." Never. Instead, what town needs is more affordable housing to increase the % of locals living in town and to cut down on traffic, pollution, etc. Or some way to cut down on AirBNB and VRBO and incentivize long-term rentals.
    You know what this town needs to do, is audit the entire employee housing inventory and evict all those that are not within the guidelines.

The employee housing program is so abused, it’s ridiculous. I know a number of people who live in employee housing, and they have vacations homes in foreign countries. There are people who don’t even live here anymore th@y still have units and rent them out.

As for limiting str ( short term rental prop), not a chance. You can’t tell me what I can and can’t do with my property after the fact. Maybe for future sales but not on existing properties.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    You know what this town needs to do, is audit the entire employee housing inventory and evict all those that are not within the guidelines.

The employee housing program is so abused, it’s ridiculous. I know a number of people who live in employee housing, and they have vacations homes in foreign countries. There are people who don’t even live here anymore th@y still have units and rent them out.

As for limiting str ( short term rental prop), not a chance. You can’t tell me what I can and can’t do with my property after the fact. Maybe for future sales but not on existing properties.
    As far as I know, that's the top priority for APCHA right now and they're working on the audit and clean up with the new compliance officer and additional hires.

And, FWIW, I live in a newer employee housing development and I would say the compliance and makeup of the community is pretty up to expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    And, FWIW, I live in a newer employee housing development and I would say the compliance and makeup of the community is pretty up to expectations.
    Someone at APCHA who shall remain nameless told me recently that they estimate 25% non-compliance across the whole program (sales + rentals).

I lived in Burlingame for three and a half years before moving into the free market and I agree that seems really high based on my first hand experience. But BG is a small sample compared to the entire inventory of ownership and rental units.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Unfortunately I think you're right, but knowing what I know about city government there they will turn themselves inside out to regulate STRs, and I think that they should do everything they can to bring the hammer down on that rapacious, predatory practice.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Unfortunately I think you're right, but knowing what I know about city government there they will turn themselves inside out to regulate STRs, and I think that they should do everything they can to bring the hammer down on that rapacious, predatory practice.
    What predatory practice are you referring to?

Back to stoke.

I guess everyone is busy schralping pow today...
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

So good this week
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5209.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	694.7 KB 
ID:	272440

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

This morning was $$$$$. Not as deep as yesterday, but no crowds. Thanks Ski Co for the Hall Pass!

Indeed. Nice to ski in the sun too. Now I'm ready for more storm skiing.

Headed to a wedding at the Redstone Inn (March 23) for a buddy who lives in Carbondale. Staying with a different set of friends in Carbondale. Super stoked to check out your hills! Never been to the RF Valley - promise I'll take only pictures and leave only tracks. Stoked!

Anyone been to the Redstone Inn? Trying to figure out if I should stay there with the wedding or figure out a way back to Carbondale. Will be skiing Highlands with the bachelor on Friday, and probably Ajax/Snowmass Sat/Sun. I'll be the idiot whooping it up in a blue helmet and jacket.
    sproing!

Just stay at the inn for a night and don’t try to drive up 133 buzzed.

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com