Thread: Tire hop?

Tire hop?

Put some new tires on the fat bike. One seems to have a significant hop. The rim is true. The tire looks to be seated all the way around. Anybody else see this on a new tire?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZNDqSvfNy96XNpWX8

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Have you tried making a TirePA with it? Nothing like fresh juicy tire hops or even unfiltered for the hazy effect
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

do you feel it with you ride? or just when you spin it in the stand?

if you feel it riding, over inflate it, bring it in somewhere warm, and see if it stretches out

Currently have the same problem. Everything had been fine, previous rides without a problem, no changes in parts.

Then, on my last ride, the steering was pulling hard right. Closer inspection shows that part of the bead on the right side is not fully seated. I haven't pulled it apart yet, also suspecting the the tube could be folded funny in that spot.

I plan on converting to tubeless, I'm hoping that will fix it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

tire is not fully seated, you can see the bead line is inconsistent on the side profile when spinning in that 2nd vid, drop psi to 10 and bounce around, pump to 80 psi and bounce around, then check again

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    tire is not fully seated, you can see the bead line is inconsistent on the side profile when spinning in that 2nd vid, drop psi to 10 and bounce around, pump to 80 psi and bounce around, then check again
    This. Although I'm not sure I'd take a fat bike tire to 80. 40, maybe.

Tire is marked with Max 30 psi on the sidewall, so I'll try to be careful. The manufacturer was super responsive and said that sometimes if a tire had been folded for a while that this can happen, but if it doesn't go away, they'd replace it.

I did not notice it when riding, but was on a slow snow/trail ride. Might never notice.

Thanks for the input. I'll try reseating.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I did not notice it when riding, but was on a slow snow/trail ride. Might never notice.
    A decade or two ago, when tire quality was generally a bit less consistent, I ended up with a few Maxxis tires that had a similar wobble. Only place I really noticed it was on pavement. Particularly with a fat bike tire, I'd be surprised if the wobble really mattered much aside from being mentally annoying.

I had brutal self-steer with Maxxis Colossus tires, despite being properly seated on the rim, FWIW.

40 psi in a fat tire would probably not go well, let alone trying for 80.

From that 2nd video it seems like either the bead isn't fully seated or the tire itself is a little wobbley. They're not all perfect. My schwalbes seem to have a little bit of variation but I can't notice when riding, just if I look at it.

why don't you try letting out the air , lubricating the bead and reinflating to 30 psi ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Will try. I set these up with fatty strippers which are supposed to be a one and done, I think. I'll check with the manufacturer and see what he says.

I did put a good deal of soap on the bead before seating it the first time, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Seth

Well... Haven't solved the issue yet but an update. In looking at it a little closer last night I realized that at some point over the last year I compressed (vertically) the rim. It was not immediately apparent, and it's not significant, but I think that's a pretty big contributor. Probably not the tire, or at least not solely the tire.

I got out for a short ride today on a mixture of snow, ice and dirt and didn't notice anything. I think I'll be okay to just keep riding it until it dies.

Thanks for the input.

Seth