My new winter tent, 3.5 lbs

Tarptent 1 or 2 people. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181111_122832171_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	185 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	255013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181111_122853074.jpeg 
Views:	198 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	255014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181111_122939550_HDR.jpeg 
Views:	188 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	255015

Sent from my moto g(6) using TGR Forums mobile app

Nice, looks freestanding? Scarp2?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Nice, looks freestanding? Scarp2?
    Scarp 1. It can be freestanding with the two cross poles,, or you can use it without them.

Tarptents kick ass!

Interested in the 2person version of this for me and the gf. We have spent a few years in a mid, which has been great but we (she) wants something
    1)warmer
    2)free standing for rocky pitches
    3)quieter in winds.

Let us know how you get on with it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Interested in the 2person version of this for me and the gf. We have spent a few years in a mid, which has been great but we (she) wants something
    1)warmer
    2)free standing for rocky pitches
    3)quieter in winds.

Let us know how you get on with it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I used it last night in my back yard.
    My daughter slept next to me.
    So one small person plus he was ok.
    It was about 23 f, a bit of condensation but not bad.

Looks nice. Love my Cloudburst 3. It's pretty darn robust with the third/middle pole, but still a touch short of a true 4 season.

I love my tarptent. Have had it for about 5-6 years, but in winter, hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    Looks nice. Love my Cloudburst 3. It's pretty darn robust with the third/middle pole, but still a touch short of a true 4 season.
    Yeah, the scarp is probably not a true 4 season. The poles are pretty thin
    I have a hilleberg namatje 3 for real winter, but it's 6.5 lbs.

I figure the scarp will be ok for sierra spring, or winter if no snow or high winds are forecasted.
    Even though i had my tarptent stratospire in really windy conditions by North peak last June, my last ski day.

Nice tent! I looked pretty hard at the Scarp 1 but ended up with a Vango F10 xenon ul for solo winter forays due to a great deal I got. Tents like the Scarp are plenty adequate for winter IMO but selecting the pitched location/orientation is key. I think the Scarp would handle snow loads better than the Vango though.

My buds and I chipped in to buy a bud a Scarp 2 w/both interiors and cross poles for his 60th birthday. He lives in Asheville NC, so it should be okay for winter camping in his parts. Yeah, I'd be wary of using it for big heavy PNW snow loads, although OTOH those cross poles should provide alot more support. He travels west each year to join us for a high route. I'll see his new tent in use next summer.

so it is probably both more expensive ( a lot) and significantly heavier, but my Hilleberg Jannu is one of the most impressive items I have ever had the pleasure of owning. It is an item I would pay full retail for - it is simply worth it (even though finding one at a discount isn't too hard) and simply that good. It is a truly outstanding tent imho, so much so that i also bought an Akto. The Akto is pretty decent as well. I bought the Akto for longer one-man trips during winter (i have yet to use it for that). It seems solid enough for its weight and is super easy to use.

Hilleberg makes nice tents, but are a completely different animal. Jannu is more winter stormworthy, of course, but nearly twice the weight of OP's tent. Tarptent also allows different configurations for the expected conditions, i.e., mesh vs. solid interior vs. no interior, optional cross poles.

Which tent is better depends on the expected use. TT Scarp 1 or Scarp 2 is a great choice for 80% of backpackers, ski tourists and weekend warrior mountaineers. Hilleberg Red Label models are better for more severe weather, Black Label for the nastiest conditions.

The 'tweener for the right user is a Stephenson 2R, which is roughly the same weight as OP's tent, on par with Jannu re stormworthiness and significantly roomier. As a longtime 2R and 3R owner, I warn everyone that Stephenson tents are not for everyone. They require care when pitching (although they pitch very fast and are bomber once pitched.) Condensation is often an issue with single wall ends, although that can be abated by using backpacks as a de facto second interior wall. Our 2R (DIY modded with gussets for exterior guy lines, solid in 60+ mph side winds) is getting a bit ragged, although has a few more years in it. Not sure what I'll get to replace it when it dies. (FWIW, we also have a Tarp Tent Moment DW for solo trips.)

BTW, Tarp Tent is starting to offer some of it models with Cuben fiber. CF is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Cuben fiber. CF is the future.
    I prefer Cuben cigars.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Cherish the cabin