Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Name that ski

Name that ski

Yep, another one.

I'm replacing my Backcountry setup, mainly because I can, but also because I'm realizing I should size-up. Current setup are Praxis BC's, 180. Rider is 6'2, 185# and getting fatter. My everything else skis are Goats. My deepest skis are Protests

Ideally, looking at similar dims, like a skinny goat in 186 ~8 lbs. But, since I can't currently buy such a beast... It'd be nice to retain some of the edgehold, precision and maneuverability of the bc's in no-fall zone type stuff. Something you'd feel comfortable coulair-hunting or billygoating to get to that last stash in-bounds. And, importantly, not hate yourself for hauling them on 5k ft touring days. Bindings may be Shifts, or first-gen radicals, haven't decided.

Under consideration:

Wren 108 (duh, but little heavy?)
    Replacement longer BC's w Enduro core (Ideal, but not shelling out peak-season $$$)
    Moment whatchamacallit (Seriously, they all seem like the same ski...)
    4frnt Raven (Heard great things, but not sure if the reverse camber is the best choice for negotiating steep boilerplate which is a must)
    Lithic?? (It'd be nice to rock something locally sourced. Free-ranged, Organic. Ya know?)
    Or some boring bliza-vokl-ordica thing. Yawn.

Posted in your other thread on this topic, but I have 184cm minty ON3P Steeple 102s if interested.

Name that ski

Thinking about turning these “beasts” you seek, loose. 2018 Steeple108 184. These are more skinny Billy than light floppy tour’rs. 2240g each. A dream ski here in PNW for appropriate days. Bases & edges flawless Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1883.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	254745LMK
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 11-09-2018 at 11:47 AM.

G3 sendr- great ski
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Thinking about turning these “beasts” you seek, loose. 2018 Steeple108 184. These are more skinny Billy than light floppy tour’rs. 2240g each. A dream ski here in PNW for appropriate days Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1883.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	254745LMK

Interesting. What are the mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Interesting. What are the mounts?
    Tecton 322 bsl
    Pivot 315
    *front 2 toe drillings were reused on Pivot

190 Moment Wildcat Tour 108 if you like progressive mount
    Corvus Freebird, if you like traditional mount
    0G 108, if you like traditional mount and hard snow bias
    Volkl BMT 108, if you like full rev camber

with Tectons
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

As far as bliza-vokl-ordica's go, the Zero G 108's are excellent on the steep boilerplate, but less fun than your BC's in powder. More tool than toy. Great choice if you also have a fatter pow touring ski or if you ski a lot of steep, stable pow, where float matter less than in the 28 degree trees I ski all winter.

I know a couple folks who love Volkl BMT 109's as all-rounders, but they are reverse camber like the Raven's.

What about Black Crows Corvus Freebird? I'd love to try a pair some time.

I had some carbon-less Praxis BC's a long while back that were stiffer than the newer versions. Never should have sold. A little too loose in the tails, I thought, but one of the best touring skis I've used

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    As far as bliza-vokl-ordica's go, the Zero G 108's are excellent on the steep...

What about Black Crows Corvus Freebird? I'd love to try a pair some time.

I had some carbon-less Praxis BC's a long while back that were stiffer than the newer versions. Never should have sold. A little too loose in the tails, I thought, but one of the best touring skis I've used
    1) Yeah I was fondling a pair of these in the shop last week. Def up my alley, if I got a good mid-season deal it'd def be a consideration.

2) Re: Corvus. All the numbers look great. Do they come with a can of spray paint for the top sheet? I mean, I'm a secure dude but not sure I need to scream it. Anima or Navis on the other hand...

3) does anyone demo moment up here? The wildcat tour does seem to check the boxes...

I spent several years on the Billy Goat, including touring. Went lighter (for touring) with Black Crows Anima Freebirds - pretty similar shape (I used the exact same skins) and complimentary to some degree. Know 2 other maggots who did the same, which is part of the reason I tried them in the first place.

But yeah, I'd be interested in the Wildcat Tour for sure as well.

1) Yeah I was fondling a pair of these in the shop last week. Def up my alley, if I got a good mid-season deal it'd def be a consideration.

2) Re: Corvus. All the numbers look great. Do they come with a can of spray paint for the top sheet? I mean, I'm a secure dude but not sure I need to scream it. Anima or Navis on the other hand...

3) does anyone demo moment up here? The wildcat tour does seem to check the boxes...
    So I ski the 185 0G 108, my wife skis the 175 BC Corvus FB, and I was just checking out the Wildcat tour at evo the other day.

Frankly, the WC tour has tons of tail rocker with a big upturned tail. I bet it would get annoying on boilerplate. The 185 0G 108 measures 182.8 with pretty minimal tip rocker and virtually no tail rocker. I'd guess they're shorter with less rocker than you'd prefer. They feel a little short and "locked in" in pow for me at 5'11", 165#. The Corvus is a nice blend of the two (especially if you leave them voile strapped together for 6 months to press some of the camber out, haha). So yeah, I'd guess the 188 Corvus Freebird would be the top pick as an all rounder. Grab a can of spray paint if you can't rock the pink.

The biggest downside on paper for me with the Corvus is the 21 m radius, but my wife assures me it skis much longer than that -- she was genuinely surprised when I told her that her 171 Cochise (Dakota) has a 27 m radius while the 175 Corvus only has a 21 m radius.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    The 185 0G ... feel a little short and "locked in" in pow for me at 5'11", 165#. T
    Agreed. I had 185's which I found to be ho hum in powder but quite excellent on steep, funky snow. I replaced them with 178's which are slightly worse in powder, but superior ski mountaineering tools, and a better match for my Scarpa F1's.

G3 sendr- great ski

That one

185 Black Diamond Route 105s.

Rad ski, handles inbounds chip well, plenty of tip rocker for soft snow, midfoot and tail doesn’t give out on firm snow and can cut into ice.
    Sizing wise, the 185 is quite a bit taller than anything mentioned here. Closer to a moment 190 than 184, maybe 2-3cm longer than a 185 ZeroG 108.

Doesn’t have the same precision on firm snow as the 0g 108, but much much better in soft snow.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    (especially if you leave them voile strapped together for 6 months to press some of the camber out, haha)
    Did that actually work? I want the answer to be yes.

no love for the Atomic Backland?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

I went from the 180 BC to the 190 BC for similar reasons and love it. Would you consider a +10mm 180BC? Moarrrr Float, same maneuverability.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've been touring on the Fischer Ranger 108 in the 188 length and have been happy with them across the board and I feel like they would tick most of your boxes if not all. They are not the lightest but it looks like you are considering wrens...and I believe the 188 comes in at about the same weight if not maybe a little lighter. PM me if you have any questions or what to discuss mount point etc as that seems to be the common gripe with the 108.

Another idea since you seem to like the Praxis coolaid, me too, tasty! 189 skinny RX in enduro carbon layup. Pure conjecture since I haven’t skied it but man the shape looks killer.

I'm considering the Salomon QST106 to fill this roll (admittedly Proform influences this decision) to partner up with a Billygoat/Shift and Wren/Alpine quiver. The Salomon isn't the lightest but will still drop about 400g/ski. It should make for a nice soft snow dedicated touring setup (coming from the Wren I'm not sure I'll like the QST at the resort). Ideally I would put Tectons on there to drop another ~180g (do you guys think this difference is enough to merit the shift from Shifts?). That said anybody want to trade my new Shifts for your Tectons?

A skinny Billy would be nice too but I think the QST106 should ski similarly and lighter in soft, hoping I get along with the smaller radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Did that actually work? I want the answer to be yes.
    So we haven't tried it intentionally yet, but my wife's 175 Corvus FB has much less camber than the 175 Corvus we just bought her (we haven't found a new Corvus FB locally to compare), and the 185 0G 108 has substantially less camber than I recall them having -- I was concerned about them having too much camber when I got them, and they don't look like that to me anymore.

So I think the answer is a tentative yes, if you keep them voile strapped together tightly for like a year. We intend to try it on her new Corvus' because they have more camber than she'd like. Now, this may also shorten the lifespan on the ski...

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    no love for the Atomic Backland?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    I find atomics to be too floppy for my taste. The ti models being the exception but, you know, gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    I went from the 180 BC to the 190 BC for similar reasons and love it. Would you consider a +10mm 180BC? Moarrrr Float, same maneuverability.

If someone has 190 BC's they want to offload my quest would be over, no doubt. New? I don't have any small children to pawn

Name that ski

If someone has 190 BC's they want to offload my quest would be over, no doubt. New? I don't have any small children to pawn
    I might have someone who wants to trade his 190 BC (Unsure of flex/core) for your 180. His were mounted 1x on the line for g3 ions.

What was the mount on yours?

Edit: 2016 - standard flex with cherry topsheets and ‘Merica bases. Bases not minty but no core and nothing that ptex can’t fix.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    I might have someone who wants to trade his 190 BC (Unsure of flex/core) for your 180. His were mounted 1x on the line for g3 ions.

What was the mount on yours?

Edit: 2016 - standard flex with cherry topsheets and ‘Merica bases. Bases not minty but no core and nothing that ptex can’t fix.

PM Sent. Suffice to say, it's a cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    185 Black Diamond Route 105s.

Rad ski, handles inbounds chip well, plenty of tip rocker for soft snow, midfoot and tail doesn’t give out on firm snow and can cut into ice.
    Sizing wise, the 185 is quite a bit taller than anything mentioned here. Closer to a moment 190 than 184, maybe 2-3cm longer than a 185 ZeroG 108.

Doesn’t have the same precision on firm snow as the 0g 108, but much much better in soft snow.
    Do they ski longer too, I assume? I80cm is my sweet spot for a touring ski but stuck between sizes on this one. I dislike long skis for touring and 185 is already on the long side for what I want but 175 seems real short. I do like the 177 K2 annex I have been skiing though and it doesn't seem too short, but K2 measures long.

Sorry for the hijack, Huskydoc, but there's not much info out there on the Route series.