Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Agreed. Too bright is a problem. If we’re searching for someone we have a 10000 lumen handheld we bring but other than that, I just want something with 4 batteries and will last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by d542east View Post
    I work with a bunch of serious cavers and they all use the zebralights.

I've borrowed them in some work situations where my normal $30 petzl wasn't quite cutting it and they are definitely higher quality lights.
    I think I still have a Petzl EO4 around here somewhere, which used to be the gold standard. Petzl has slipped in recent years IMO. The version I have now allows light through the lower part of the housing to interfere with night vision. I had to duct tape it to remedy the problem, total fail on Petzl's part and I am not the adamant support of their products that I used to be. However, durability has been good.

Zebralight. 18650 swap and be done.

Transceivers on 14500 for the weight/space savings, lamps on 18650 for single cell performance, and handhelds on 21700 for lumens. Boom! Win, win, win.
    Last edited by SKIP INTRO; 11-14-2018 at 06:37 PM. Reason: clarity

If you charge them all by solar you have a quad-win, in that case you better PM Rontele or M. Scott.

there are 41 lights I can buy on the zebra light page and more than half of them say something about 18650, the reason I never bought one is that I couldn't figure out which one to buy and I still don't
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    there are 41 lights I can buy on the zebra light page and more than half of them say something about 18650, the reason I never bought one is that I couldn't figure out which one to buy and I still don't
    The 18650 is a means of classifying lithium-ion batteries by size. 18mmX65mm. A bit larger than AA (14500). The rest of the descriptors for zebra lights spawned it’s own webpage to help http://www.flashlightuniversity.com/...-naming-guide/

They arent known for there website! Here is what I went with plus the Xtar dual charger and battery setup off Amazon.
    http://www.zebralight.com/H600w-Mk-I...amp_p_186.html

And this battery/charger setup.
    https://www.amazon.com/Protected-Orb...daL&ref=plSrch

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R0013404.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	808.1 KB 
ID:	255627

Wraps to cu$tomize.
    Name:  wrap-18-hun-10__05056.1532538646.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  242.0 KB

Is there such thing as a headlamp/flashlight that will connect/disconnect/quick release to a ski helmet similar to a go-pro mount?

Quote Originally Posted by suburbs View Post
    Is there such thing as a headlamp/flashlight that will connect/disconnect/quick release to a ski helmet similar to a go-pro mount?
    https://www.teamwendy.com/search-rescue
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Fenix also make fine quality products if you can strike a better deal with them.

This! Fenix!

I've been rocking Black Diamond headlamps mostly and had an odd PrincetonTec and Petzl thrown in the bag.

Fenix gets me at least as bright, even more lightweight, and for a fraction of the price of what any of those other brands are selling, yet high quality. They have super bright concentrated, flood lights, and combos including models with remote battery packs so you can keep them inside your coat in the winter.

Believe me, I know how nice standardizing batteries can be, but 18650 >>>>>>> AA.

Just make sure you (and more importantly your fellow rescuers) have memorized the headlamp controls. "oops 1000 lumens in yo face!" is not fun when in precarious situations. Flood can be VERY nice for routefinding and night search. But lets be honest, 95% of the time you have your lamp as low as it will go.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I need to play a shit ton more call of duty and watch every movie made about SEALs before I can buy anything from that vendor.

anybody used one of those slonik lights from amazon? i just ordered a 500 lumen model for sar purposes.
    swing your fucking sword.

Headlamp recs for SAR?

We ended up with more Princeton Tec waterproof lamps on our rescue rig. All AA battery (you can always carry extra, not so with rechargeable).

I would usually take along my camping light (Petzl Tikka) but only as a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    We ended up with more Princeton Tec waterproof lamps on our rescue rig. All AA battery (you can always carry extra, not so with rechargeable).

I would usually take along my camping light (Petzl Tikka) but only as a backup.
    i keep a portable charger in my pack so the battery incompatibility issue with my other electronics isn't a huge deal. i'll still keep my tikka as a backup but interested to see how this $25 unit does.
    swing your fucking sword.