Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2017 Down SD95s, 184cm ... needs repair, read everything

Down ShowDown 95, 184cm

I bought these SD95s in 2016 during the Down pre-season sale. The skis are rippers. Low rise tip, almost flat tail but not quite, camber underfoot, 19m radius, two sheets of metal. They rail like you would think. But these aren’t just groomer and hardpack skis, they hold their own in variable and soft snow very, very well. I skied them 10+ days last year. They rip.

So, after skiing them most of the season I started seeing the clear top sheet starting to ‘bubble’ in places. Turns out that Down had some issues in getting these tops to adhere on a few pairs and told me they’d be covered under warranty. G is a man of his word, I just got my new pair.

So then, this pair … these will need someone to epoxy the top sheets where they’re pulling back. You can see what I mean in the pics. MOST of this is super minor and it's mostly on one ski, but it is there nonetheless. These seem to be a decorative clear sheet over another graphic, so it’s not like the wood or core is exposed, but they should be repaired for sure. Now that I have the replacements I’m more interested in getting these under someone’s boots than repairing them myself.

My goal here is to give them away to somebody that needs skis and is not a dickhead. Maybe funds are limited, or you've got a strong kid who could really use new skis and is strong enough to drive them, etc. Don't take them, fix them and flip them on craigslist. Just, don't. If you can repair them and know someone who needs them, or if you need them and know somebody who can fix the tops, let me know. PM me details.

Skis drilled once for Pivots, 325bsl at the line. Edges and bases 9/10, tops have a few tiny flaws and as described.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181107_114207.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	254406

Name:	20181107_114306.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	254407

Name:	20181107_114238.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	254408

Name:	20181107_114334.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	254409

Name:	20181107_114348.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	254411

Name:	20181107_114404.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	254412

Name:	20181107_114407.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	254413

Name:	20181107_114411.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	254414

Props for doing the right thing passing those on. It'll be a great deal for someone that needs them.

That clear layer over the topsheet doesn't really do anything, could probably just trim the loose sections off with a razor blade. Wipe a bit of G/flex into the edge of the trim job to maybe stop the creeping if you feel like it.

There's nothing functionally wrong with these, IMHO. If the top layer is coming off really easy, just pull the bindings and pull off the entire piece, and screw the bindings back on. Done.

PM incoming

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    That clear layer over the topsheet doesn't really do anything, could probably just trim the loose sections off with a razor blade. Wipe a bit of G/flex into the edge of the trim job to maybe stop the creeping if you feel like it.

There's nothing functionally wrong with these, IMHO. If the top layer is coming off really easy, just pull the bindings and pull off the entire piece, and screw the bindings back on. Done.
    I don't think I could disagree, but I'm no expert. They don't seem to do anything but provide a decorative layer. Could make this a lot easier on somebody, hell maybe folks would just leave them as is and ski them.
    I agree that there is nothing functionally wrong with these. That's what will make them a great score for somebody.

Super props to Down skis for replacing them. Originally I asked if they could repair them., but they said no I'll send you a new pair.

Would take if Charlesj does not

Serious props for doing this. If the eventual owner is a Vermonter, hit me up. I have shop buddies they can fix this for a six pack.

Fix them up and throw some demo bindings on. Pass them around among the Colorado crew, maybe they could make it to the BBI events. Possibly add them to Vitamins traveling library. Get some mostly free advertising for Down.
    Just my 2¢.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

I will take them too but I don’t have any rationale for deserving them.
    Uno mas

what swerve said would get more hours and miles of collective thrills/stoke/joy than what one old guy with a failing knee who's stuck in the middle would get in a week of the Wasatch, a week in the Whites and a bunch of days in WI and MI would get. The old guy could squeeze a lot of seasons out of them however

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Fix them up and throw some demo bindings on. Pass them around among the Colorado crew, maybe they could make it to the BBI events. Possibly add them to Vitamins traveling library. Get some mostly free advertising for Down.
    Just my 2¢.
    Yes. This.

Quote Originally Posted by swerve View Post
    Just my 2¢.
    Yes. That.

Wasn't there some Vulcan proverb about the "needs of the many outweighing ..." not a trekkie/trekker so I know not of what I speak

I will pay for any logistic help to get these to as many Mags who want to ski them. Just a minor top sheet issue we had with digital printing on the Isosport 8210. Solved but a PITA and all skis got replaced. Good looking out Nick!! ( I owe you a mail too just catching up on mail and getting late)
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

I'm thinking this is the way to go. If anyone has a line on good inexpensive demo bindings let me know.

We'll figure out how this will work collectively, and I'll be glad to help get them around Colorado. Whomever takes them out of state will then be responsible for sharing the effort, etc, etc.

Thanks again for covering me Geo. I know you didn't have to. All I wanted was help in repairing and you went above and beyond.

edit: G: let me know how you think I should repair these, if at all. Shoot me a note or something. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I'm thinking this is the way to go. If anyone has a line on good inexpensive demo bindings let me know.

We'll figure out how this will work collectively, and I'll be glad to help get them around Colorado. Whomever takes them out of state will then be responsible for sharing the effort, etc, etc.

Thanks again for covering me Geo. I know you didn't have to. All I wanted was help in repairing and you went above and beyond.

edit: G: let me know how you think I should repair these, if at all. Shoot me a note or something. Thanks again.
    Didn’t some mag just buy a shit ton of demos through Iggy on the cheap. Perhaps they can be contributed to your generosity
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Didn’t some mag just buy a shit ton of demos through Iggy on the cheap. Perhaps they can be contributed to your generosity
    I believe that might have been Vitamin. Maybe worth shooting him a pm.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Well done, N1CK.

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

Meant “they can contribute” meaning pass along a set of demos
    Uno mas

Muggy (who is local) just got the Tyrolia bin. Not sure there's a full extra set of demos though.

Rad of you. Hope to get to ski them.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post

I have some Marker Demos I can harvest off some rock planks. Let's make it happen.
    Last edited by homebrewd; 11-07-2018 at 09:00 PM.

good karma in here

Just reading this made my morning better.

Very solid mag move
    Good karma being sent your way

ok we're in business!

homebrewed has generously donated a pair of demo bindings! brakes are a bit wide but they'll work for now, and if anyone has a pair of 100mm Marker brakes for cheap or free pls let me know.

Next to get these tops sealed in the interest of keeping these running for a long time, mounting up the binders and getting folks on the skis.
    Stay tuned.

Yet another reason why this place kicks so much ass.
    As for the top sheet issue. Gently pry the bad spots up, use g flex or marine epoxy. Heat it up with a heat gun so it oozes into the delam area. Cover with wax paper and clamp it. Once cured trim off any excess epoxy.
    Wish these weren’t so far away from me, always wanted to ski them.