Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baker | Stevens Pass Daily driver Ski...

I'm trying to find a new Daily driver for the PNW.... I have a pair of giant pow skis, so I want something for the days where we only get a few inches.... Some thing that handles the skied out warmed up condensing pow soon to be cascade cement, as in the backside of Stevens pass, on a warmer day,,, at 11am..

I have found these as cheap, or slightly used skis.. and I'm curious who of you in Washington State have skied these and what thoughts you have...

Nordica enforcer 100,
    ON3P Wrenegade 98 or 108
    Volkl 100Eight,
    Head Kore 105
    Head Monster 98..
    4Frnt Devastators or MSP?

Any thoughts?

Dynastar Legend X106 or X96

How do you hope to ski it? Fall line or go home? Or finesse your way around the cement?

Usually, even if there’s only a few inches, I’m on my Billy goats in these conditions. Mostly because I can do both types of skiing on them. And they make that dense* morning pow feel like hero snow.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

what's your monster pow ski?

for tracked stuff....

monster, wren 108s, legend x106, legend pro riders, xxls, devastators, katanas, or if it was fat and soft but got tracked, billygoats, dynastar protos, og bodacious, wren 114, etc

https://www.lithicskis.com

Either the cohen 110 or ramblin Jack 108 depending on your shape preferences. I'm on the 108 5 days a week at Stevens and it's the best daily driver I've found so far. Skied ~100 days a year at baker for 12 years or so.

A good baker quiver would have two pow skis: something like a bodacious (for good visibility days) and something like a dps 138 (for bad vis days) then a daily driver like any of the skis already described in this thread, plus something slower and jibbier for after your seventh beer.

You don't need the bodacious type ski at Steven's as much. There's just not enough terrain equivalent to the arm. Really enjoy the 138s here on fat days. Makes all the steep tree zones sooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by d542east View Post
    https://www.lithicskis.com

Either the cohen 110 or ramblin Jack 108 depending on your shape preferences. I'm on the 108 5 days a week at Stevens and it's the best daily driver I've found so far. Skied ~100 days a year at baker for 12 years or so.

A good baker quiver would have two pow skis: something like a bodacious (for good visibility days) and something like a dps 138 (for bad vis days) then a daily driver like any of the skis already described in this thread, plus something slower and jibbier for after your seventh beer.

You don't need the bodacious type ski at Steven's as much. There's just not enough terrain equivalent to the arm. Really enjoy the 138s here on fat days. Makes all the steep tree zones sooo good.
    Agreed, a 108 underfoot ski is ideal for a DD here in WA. I ski a few years old pair of Sir Francis Bacons. heavy, stiffer and super snappy/poppy.

Also agreed on the pow ski setup. Lots of pow days where you will just be skiing steep techy trees and mini golf because vis sucks, so you will want something fat, softer and playful for the slow speed fun. But when you are able to go somewhere with open steep terrain, and have good visibility you'll want something that can charge and stomp. I have Liberty Origins (116 underfoot, softer, i mount more forward) for the slow speed bad vis days, and touring, and i have the OG 191 Billy Goats for the days i can see well and want to open it up to ski fast and take chances- usually at Crystal or for the first couple pow day laps at Alpental.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Agreed, a 108 underfoot ski is ideal for a DD here in WA. I ski a few years old pair of Sir Francis Bacons. heavy, stiffer and super snappy/poppy.
    I too started out on a pair of SFB's. Pivoty twintips are fun until you want to get after it. In time they became too noodly for wet concrete.

Just get on the Billy goat train, you won't regret. Maybe some second-hand wren's too for real bad days.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I too started out on a pair of SFB's. Pivoty twintips are fun until you want to get after it. In time they became too noodly for wet concrete.

Just get on the Billy goat train, you won't regret. Maybe some second-hand wren's too for real bad days.
    Depends which year SFBs. I have the rasta colored 190s form 14/15 i think. Pretty stiff and nicely heavy. YMMV.

Kinda tangential but on-topic - I had a choice a few months back between the x106 188 and the Cochise 186 for exactly this niche at basically the identical bargain. I trusted my gut and went with the x106 (I'm light so I was worried the Cochise might be too much for me, and my old DD are cham 1.0 97s which I like a lot.) But why are you guys recommending the x106 and not a ski like the Cochise for the PNW? Chargers with lots of metal like that seem to be highly regarded around TGR - and the x106 has no metal to my knowledge - so I'm pretty curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    what's your monster pow ski?

for tracked stuff....

monster, wren 108s, legend x106, legend pro riders, xxls, devastators, katanas, or if it was fat and soft but got tracked, billygoats, dynastar protos, og bodacious, wren 114, etc
    My pow skis are Atomic Automatics 117 @ 193cm..

I have heard nothing but amazing things about Lithic, but they may be a little too pricey for me at the moment..

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Dynastar Legend X106 or X96
    ^^ This. Great skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Afkpuz View Post
    Kinda tangential but on-topic - I had a choice a few months back between the x106 188 and the Cochise 186 for exactly this niche at basically the identical bargain. I trusted my gut and went with the x106 (I'm light so I was worried the Cochise might be too much for me, and my old DD are cham 1.0 97s which I like a lot.) But why are you guys recommending the x106 and not a ski like the Cochise for the PNW? Chargers with lots of metal like that seem to be highly regarded around TGR - and the x106 has no metal to my knowledge - so I'm pretty curious.
    Having skied both, in the PNW, the X106 would be my preference. Still plenty stable, doesn’t get caught up in tight cruddy areas. A bit more forgiving in variable snow while still having plenty of crushing power and dampness.

Quote Originally Posted by Afkpuz View Post
    But why are you guys recommending the x106 and not a ski like the Cochise for the PNW?
    Because for the past 3 or so years, the Cochise sucks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post

I have a co-worker who swears by the billygoats.. are they that nice in the chopped up stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    I have a co-worker who swears by the billygoats.. are they that nice in the chopped up stuff?
    yes

I have a co-worker who swears by the billygoats..
    it's a cult

praxis rx

Yes. I liked my goats in chop better than pure pow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Yes. I liked my goats in chop better than pure pow.
    But you'd still prefer to ski them in pure pow, right?
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    But you'd still prefer to ski them in pure pow, right?
    I’d rather ski my ProTest in pure pow.

The Billy Goat would probably be a good choice but based on your list I love my Wren 108s. ON3P is based in the PNW and builds the perfect ski for the type and amounts of snow we get. Stable, damp, able to throw the tails in the trees. The Wren isn't the most playful but isnt fully lacking either. The Wren will be better at the end of the day when it gets more firm also. I also love the way they ski deep pow.

Billy Goats are sick for day or two after a pow day but I wouldn’t want to have them as the less pow oriented ski of a quiver. Wren 108 sure. This year I’ll be skiing those two inbounds plus a fx94 for bumps and groomers when it hasn’t snowed in a week. I may get rid of the kastles depending how much I enjoy the wrens on groomers and bumps.

I'm trying to find a new Daily driver for the PNW.... I have a pair of giant pow skis, so I want something for the days where we only get a few inches.... Some thing that handles the skied out warmed up condensing pow soon to be cascade cement, as in the backside of Stevens pass, on a warmer day,,, at 11am..

I have found these as cheap, or slightly used skis.. and I'm curious who of you in Washington State have skied these and what thoughts you have...

Nordica enforcer 100,
    ON3P Wrenegade 98 or 108
    Volkl 100Eight,
    Head Kore 105
    Head Monster 98..
    4Frnt Devastators or MSP?

Any thoughts?
    I got a pair of Black Crows Daemon 188 for the exact needs you described here. 99 underfoot, fairly light, poppy, has metal, long mellow full reverse camber. Pivots and slithers great at slow speeds bases flat, lay it all the way over and grips hard. I really love zero camber for the heavy, sticky concrete we get out here. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	File_001-3.jpeg 
Views:	86 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	255310

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    I got a pair of Black Crows Daemon 188 for the exact needs you described here. 99 underfoot, fairly light, poppy, has metal, long mellow full reverse camber. Pivots and slithers great at slow speeds bases flat, lay it all the way over and grips hard. I really love zero camber for the heavy, sticky concrete we get out here.
    Those Black crows may be the winner... but haven't ridden fully rockered skis yet...
    Last edited by ExPowderSnob; 11-20-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Own Billy Goats, they are worth the hype. In the must own category here in PNW.
    Had Wren 108 - nice ski. If you could only have one, it’s a strong contender. With owning a handful of skis I actively rotate with, the BG got the action more often than W108. Moved the W108 in favor of new Black Crows Corvus. It’s 107 wide, flat under foot, and gentle full rocker with added metal section (120 cm) underfoot. A 2019 overhaul. Tip and tail firm but manageable. Throwing shifts on them and willing to bet they eat chop and become my DD for PNW and travel. It’s BC’s new hotness..

191 Lhasa FAT. If you didn’t get in on the 30 avail for special purchase, you done fucked up in a big way.