Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    This is why wages are so low.
    Good luck!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You don't know this. He could become despondent after months or even years of job hunting as younger workers are hired over him, resulting in a divorce and finally culminating in depression and thoughts of suicide.
    Nah, met the guy. He and his gal will be fine. Good potential outcome observation though timberridge!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    You totally skipped over the years of substance abuse and arrest record resulting from all that. Then there's the lifelong STDs from casual sex from strangers to relieve the depression.

If all is good, he'll find Jesus.
    Well, you're all doom and gloom today.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Nah, met the guy. He and his gal will be fine.
    This is good to hear. If they do go to Chicago, Lake Forest is a nice area. I'd recommend looking there.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Meh, I live in Chicago and like it. Sure, "taxes," the outdoor adventure scene sucks (unless you are into boating), but it's easy and relatively cheap to get practically anywhere in the world via Ord/Midway, it has great culture/nightlife and summers are a blast. Partially depends on where you are able to reside (traffic/commuting can be a nightmare), but if you can set it up right so you can take advantage of what city has to offer and get out of dodge on a regular basis, it's a pretty good life.

...This is good to hear. If they do go to Chicago, Lake Forest is a nice area. I'd recommend looking there.
    I recommend Kenosha, WI. They have a nice marina...near the train station.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    ditto
    interviewed op at Flowing Compound, he’s good.
    I believe i was present for that...
    Concur with both Flowing and GfromT.

^ :-)

still very, very early, think the formal announcement will be tomorrow. analysts seem to think our CEO will run the combined shop.
    "Can't you see..."

This is good to hear. If they do go to Chicago, Lake Forest is a nice area. I'd recommend looking there.
    Shit on that. Just far enough from the City that you'll never actually be able to take advantage of what it has to offer. But, LF does have a ginormous glut of mansions on the market presently, so if you fancy the opportunity to live amongst Chicago's self-important WASP aristocracy whilst living in a heavily discounted 10,000 sqft compound, there's that.

(Really, LF isn't bad; just relatively far from the city and completely homogeneous. Given the option, I'd chose a different north shore burb, but that's me.)

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Good luck. It’s happened to me twice.
    Stuffed pizza isn’t the main pizza there, BTW.

While true that Chicagoans tend to prefer that abomination of deep dish pizza, there is this:

Puts cheese steaks to shame!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Maybe you could rent a room above this fine establishment.

If you aren't familiar, get familiar

https://snickers-bar-grill.business.site/
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

I strongly advise against the suburbs directly east of Chicago. It's very wet there.

I wish this would happen to my company. I could go for a severance package right about now.

Look on the bright side - maybe Chicago will suck less than where you are now?

That being said - Chicago sucks.

YMMV.

^^^
    D00d!?

Yeah, party towns full of smoking hot women are really the worst
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    Yeah, party towns full of smoking hot women are really the worst
    You referring to Boulder?

If you get the boot (I hope this only happens if you want it to), perhaps paint your firer’s chair red and tell him you did so it rolls faster?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    the gutbomb turning to heartburn meal?
    One order of a “dipped, sweet and hot” from Al’s would change your mind

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    One order of a “dipped, sweet and hot” from Al’s would change your mind
    I'd eat that.

I would NOT recommend someone move to Chicago just so they could, though.

I hear Trump is hiring. Do you have any expertise in tax evasion or campaign skills? Those are in high demand these days.

But seriously, get your resume together if you didn't already when the rumors of a buyout/sale/merger, or whatever it is that your company is going through. Make sure at the very least that no one else knows how to do your job. Keep tight control, share as little as possible. Better still, hopefully you kept running tabs on your value to the company. Big projects managed, completed, hudge dollars saved, or revenue generated. IF you can't show any of those things, then, well you aren't really worth what you've been paid. Sorry, it's just business. And there are plenty of newbs looking for work, but if you already HAVE a job, you are more interesting to companies that are hiring. Good luck.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    While true that Chicagoans tend to prefer that abomination of deep dish pizza, there is this:

Puts cheese steaks to shame!
    I call BS. I was raised in Chicago, lived there for 35 years and never had a deep dish pizza, ever. Yea I knew it existed downtown at Pizzaria Uno, Due or whatever the other was called but nobody I knew ever ate it. Tourists did and talked about it

Chicago is so fucking cold I once found a body on the side walk walking home from the L. About a minute later his wife walked out calling his name.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Company being bought out

Drift...but who’s starting the Winter 2018-19 N. IL / S. WI Conditions & Stoke thread?

OP, I'm involved in a couple/several of these transitions annually. On the spectrum; someone will be the biggest sitting duck and lose their job for sitting there like a moron, while someone else will take advantage of the turmoil and make a big leap or two up in their career. And every time, one or two people do make a big leap that would have never happened under prior circumstances. Good luck making this a great transition for you - or just go ski a lot. Stay out of the midwest, you may never escape.

Company being bought out

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I call BS. I was raised in Chicago, lived there for 35 years and never had a deep dish pizza, ever. Yea I knew it existed downtown at Pizzaria Uno, Due or whatever the other was called but nobody I knew ever ate it. Tourists did and talked about it
    Went to college and later roomed with several south siders. Ardent Sox fans with disdain for all things from the ‘burbs; Ditka, the senior Daley and Fast Eddie Vrdolyak were deified. Every time we’d get a pizza (or in their lexicon, “a pie”), I was in for 20 minutes of gab about how great Chicago deep dish is and how pizza anywhere else sucks. They also drank Old Style and thought the only vegetable worth eating was canned corn

I just returned from lunch at a suburban Chicago “local fresh” eatery, where my grilled cheese sandwich came with thinly sliced pear—yes pear WTF—in the middle with the cheese (along with some other stuff).

This should be avoided.