Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ridinshockgun View Post
    For those getting out, how much hoar frost are you seeing? Stoked to see snow on the way but wouldn't mind if it started as rain....the help the base.
    I feel like with the late start to the snow season a lot of people are going to be itching to get out and make some aggressive terrain choices this coming week. Looks like the storms are going to come in fairly cold, so i wouldnt expect the hoar layer to get smushed this coming week. Probably gonna be pretty darn spicy out there, but we wont know till NWAC stops studying snow on a mirror and gets out in the field next week to study snow on a mountain.

It will be interesting to see how Patrol handles this in regards to terrain opening - do they bomb stuff to try and get it open but risk having all the snow slide off and have to close it back up, or do they keep it all closed till next weekend in the hopes that the layer heals itself and wont all slide off during control Saturday morning? I've unintentionally managed to hit the Powder Bowl opening at Crystal the past two years within the first 10 chairs, and that face seems like a prime candidate to get all bombed (Gasexed?) off before they get a chance to open it.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Powder Bowl seems like a prime candidate to get all bombed (Gasexed?)
    Errrrr.... yeah.

It has a cat track and groomer below it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Errrrr.... yeah.

It has a cat track and groomer below it.
    Is REX or the gondola open though? Would they not close off access to the top part of that groomer through next week in the hopes that the pack settles and won't slide when they do bomb it and try to open everything for next weekend?

Is REX or the gondola open though?
    no
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Is REX or the gondola open though? Would they not close off access to the top part of that groomer through next week in the hopes that the pack settles and won't slide when they do bomb it and try to open everything for next weekend?
    if Rex or Gondy are open they will do control work on PB if necessary.

Put simply Keeping Lucky Shot closed to preserve Powder Bowl not SOP.

Powder Bowl is one of the very first control routes they run.

Sometimes the gondy is open for Green Valley access and Lucky Shot (below PB) is closed. I can't think of a time since the gondy that REX has been open without Lucky Shot being open.

And yes, there's a lot of surface hoar, really punchy snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    no
    A wee nit: the gondy is open for Summit House access only as of yesterday and one can't bring skis up it.

Who needs rain can't we just get the avalanche dogs to go out and pee on the surface hoar?

On a serious note, who took over for Kim K? Does anyone know if they will keep the status quo or be doing things any differently?

Quote Originally Posted by fullStack View Post

Does anyone know if they will keep the status quo or be doing things any differently?
    BC access policy is largely the same with a requirement for check in @ patrol before skinning "in area", access closed if light is flashing.
    Last year, they disbarred people from South back before it opened, this year so far, it's been open, but the rain really hammered everything below 6k.

It will be interesting to see if the customer service tone changes.

i blame premature thread ejaculatin
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

BC access policy is largely the same with a requirement for check in @ patrol before skinning "in area", access closed if light is flashing.
    Last year, they disbarred people from South back before it opened, this year so far, it's been open, but the rain really hammered everything below 6k.

It will be interesting to see if the customer service tone changes.
    Thanks, I guess I was thinking more in-bounds policy. My kids are still too little to hike or skin, but like to hit Northway and Chair 6 with me.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    That sounds as valid as any other hypotheses I've seen so far.

What inbounds policy do you mean?

What inbounds policy do you mean?
    The one that requires hourly scrums and quibbling over .NET ASP, C# or java? Or only people with green underwear can ride chair 6?

Hopefully green stains will get me by; I'm not going shopping.

I didn't mean "policy" as in a written set of rules, just the general modus operandi now that there is a new patrol director.

I still don't understand the question.
    One thing that was nice over the last couple of years was the attempt to spin the lifts before the official opening time. Not always successful, but a nice effort.

Quote Originally Posted by fullStack View Post
    just the general modus operandi now that there is a new patrol director.
    I don't think there will be very much change noticeable. Promotion from within.

It won't stop every punter from knowing exactly what they would be doing better though.

One thing that was nice over the last couple of years was the attempt to spin the lifts before the official opening time. Not always successful, but a nice effort.
    Yep.

Especially coming on the back of the awfully implemented early load for pass holders policy.

I don't think there will be very much change noticeable. Promotion from within.
    Excellent, thank you

The hoar abounds at and below treeline where it's been protected from the wind. The current snowpack around these parts is a few inches of faceted fluff on top of a firm rain crust / the ground. It's gonna be a layer of concern for the next systems coming-in as not only will the snow fall upside down with a warming trend into the middle of next week but there won't be enough of it to crush the faceted layer. Now, once we get enough snow on top, or a good rain event, that layer will be destroyed. But there will be considerable avalanche potential for at least the next few weeks.

The good news from this cold spell is that the creeks are almost dry and many have frozen. So hopefully we won't have a repeat of last season's bottomless holes and running water.
    "Pay your nickel and take your chances"
    "they don't groom Alpental, they just move shit around."

When has a storm ever come in cold after a protracted high pressure system prevailed, especially at the Alp? I don't remember it ever happening in all my many years of paying extra close attention. Freezing rain, followed by non-freezing rain and then (maybe) snow is the standard, which is why hoar frost is rarely an issue around here. BTW - I recently trademarked December Crust® and December PWL®. It will cost you a buck a pop each time you use them on this site.

Put my buck a usage towards plowing Hyak & Yellowstone. It will come in (somewhat) cold, there will be an ephemeral weak layer, no freezing rain, sufficient avalanche activity and then we'll be good to go.

Good thing it only rains here, tho
    "Pay your nickel and take your chances"
    "they don't groom Alpental, they just move shit around."

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Careful.

I feel like with the late start to the snow season a lot of people are going to be itching to get out and make some aggressive terrain choices this coming week. Looks like the storms are going to come in fairly cold, so i wouldnt expect the hoar layer to get smushed this coming week. Probably gonna be pretty darn spicy out there, but we wont know till NWAC stops studying snow on a mirror and gets out in the field next week to study snow on a mountain.

It will be interesting to see how Patrol handles this in regards to terrain opening - do they bomb stuff to try and get it open but risk having all the snow slide off and have to close it back up, or do they keep it all closed till next weekend in the hopes that the layer heals itself and wont all slide off during control Saturday morning? I've unintentionally managed to hit the Powder Bowl opening at Crystal the past two years within the first 10 chairs, and that face seems like a prime candidate to get all bombed (Gasexed?) off before they get a chance to open it.
    I think you should stop worrying so much and just go ski.

Light snowfall in Leavenworth right now. About a day early... let's hope it's a sign of good things.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I think you should stop worrying so much and just go ski.
    Ill worry while i ski thank you very much!