Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Deep water immersion risk today at the great wet dead endClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20181217_102910.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	808.4 KB 
ID:	260480

So has anyone who purchased a pass to Stevens in the Spring/Summer actually gotten it in the mail? I've been looking at the "You should receive yours within the next 7 business days" message for over a month, and am beginning to believe Vail Corp. is as bad as their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    Deep water immersion risk today at the great wet dead endClick image for larger version. 

Wish it would be done with this rain half way up non sense and just piss to the top to fully clean that damn layer out and give us a good reset. I’m not skiing for a few weeks but would sure love to have some confidence it’s gone by the time I’m back on skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Good day at Xtal today. Surpassed expectations. The 7" that fell overnight on Saturday/Sunday with the 4" that fell last night skied like 4" on top of 7" of windblown...

Nice to have the sun come out for a visit.

fallout logo boy

Started to snow lightly around 1:45pm, and the wind picking up as well.

I give 3.5 snowflakes on the Buster scale. Could have used the reverse snow totals and then it might have been 3.75.
    Wholy shit that looks fun to me!

snowing at pass level... freeway cams look white

6" at green valley as of 8pm

avy center rates the whole area at "high" with warnings on the NE end

let's hope the temps stay cool... build dat base!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    snowing at pass level...
    And below

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post

Brutal. I did get some Grundens this year though. (Considering the spot, I feel bad for the little groms. Woulda been a rough day with a 5 year old in wet boots)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9571.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	309.8 KB 
ID:	260524

Yup, this system works well. [rolleyes/]
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Got stopped by that this morning. Closed at North Bend. Didn’t get the chain enforcement check point established soon enough...

Need a dumb driver enforcement checkpoint. Did you grow up here? No? Where ya from? California? Road’s closed. Oh, Montana? Drive safe now.

Could also just close it to Prius, WRXs, and Ram Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Got stopped by that this morning. Closed at North Bend. Didn’t get the chain enforcement check point established soon enough...

Need a dumb driver enforcement checkpoint. Did you grow up here? No? Where ya from? California? Road’s closed. Oh, Montana? Drive safe now.

Could also just close it to Prius, WRXs, and Ram Trucks.
    Not all WRX owners are idiots. Most, but not all. Honestly more dumbasses in STis than WRX's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniacman129 View Post
    Not all WRX owners are idiots. Most, but not all. Honestly more dumbasses in STis than WRX's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Same gene pool.

Need a dumb driver enforcement checkpoint. Did you grow up here? No? Where ya from? California? Road’s closed.
    Hey now!

...actually, thats pretty fair. Ill take that hit to keep other californiagrowns off the road and keep the road open for others.

SNOW IN THE PNW 2018-19

More than a few times I’ve been in the group of cars that are allowed to pass when they first open after a closure, and I can recall three times where I drove around jackknifed semi’s with their tires just spinning. One time it was at the top of Stevens and the spinning tire had chains on it and was spitting out sparks.
    I’m not sure the stupidity is car specific.
    Last edited by plugboots; 12-18-2018 at 11:24 AM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

On Saturday chains were required on anything but 4WD on Hwy 2. It really thinned the herd. Roads were not that bad and having 4WD with traction tires actually felt like it was rewarded.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Hey now!

...actually, thats pretty fair. Ill take that hit to keep other californiagrowns off the road and keep the road open for others.
    I fail that test, too since I grew up outside of LA. Funny thing is, all my PNW-born neighbors thought I was overreacting when I moved here (Seattle area), sold the sports sedan and bought a 4Runner with appropriate winter tires. I believe that they also think I’m a fool to go skiing when it is still storming. Sad for them.

Speed is also an issue. Multiple times a year I see folks driving 50-80mph in a blizzard, and then latter, in the ditch or against the barrier facing west on the eastbound lanes. Usually in WRXs and Ram trucks. There isn’t the manpower, but heavy speed enforcement in snowstorms might do more than chain checkpoints.

Also variable fines based on the delays caused by your accident. You cause a 2 hr closure? Pay up $2000.

It was a cluster for sure.

I sat there for about 5min contemplating a dick maneuver and then went for it. 10 semis pitched at all angles blocking flow but a path to exit52 was attained.

The 14-18" new wants a high pitch but is heavy on dat base.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Speed is also an issue. Multiple times a year I see folks driving 50-80mph in a blizzard, and then latter, in the ditch or against the barrier facing west on the eastbound lanes. Usually in WRXs and Ram trucks. There isn’t the manpower, but heavy speed enforcement in snowstorms might do more than chain checkpoints.

Also variable fines based on the delays caused by your accident. You cause a 2 hr closure? Pay up $2000.
    Fair point. Although the roads weren’t bad IMO, there was a Subie Outback that managed to spin out and into the snowbank right of traffic lanes. Only saw the aftermath and not the event. Could have been caused by someone else, but a Subie with proper tires should have been fine in those conditions.

I always see the lifted 4x4’s and Audi Quattro‘ dripping past everyone. Just waiting for reality to pay a visit some time.

This wins the internet today.... Living in Montana, I spent 7 months of the year on roads that never got plowed, just compacted over time.. Nearly everyone but the transplants in the big 3 cities knows how to drive in snow, and drive well.. I have a vivid memory of some old 65+ year old hippy in a '86 Suby GL wagon, seems like it was lifted a little on some pretty burly studded snow tires trying to help yank out some tourists in a MB SUV on summer ties from a ditch... It was fascinating to watch! It eventually took that suby pulling and 3 of us pushing to get them out... afterwards the guy still didn't understand why a shitty (to him) (i thought it was glorious) old Suby wagon was so great in the snow...

SNOW IN THE PNW 2018-19

4WD, good tires, reduced speed are part of it.

Other driving factors are almost more important. Like greatly increase the space between the vehicle in front of you, no sudden quick wheel turns, gradually drift to change lanes, don't press on the gas too fast, ease into it. Don't brake hard, ease into it. Watch the vehicles in front of the vehicles in front of you for sudden braking. Keep momentum on the uphill. Etc.

I tell my Arizonian wife to follow inertia principles when driving on snow or ice. Doesn't compute.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Other driving factors are almost more important. Like greatly increase the space between the vehicle in front of you, no sudden quick wheel turns, gradually drift to change lanes, don't press on the gas too fast, ease into it. Don't brake hard, ease into it. Watch the vehicles in front of the vehicles in front of you for sudden braking. Keep momentum on the uphill. Etc.
    ^ This
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hi2 was on the cusp of rain but the top bits skied nicely. Lower mountain was quite goopy... good base building material. Coverage is getting to be solid, skied just about everything. Got my fill around 1130.

As expected... current ratio is 10 posts about Californians or Traffic to 1 post about skiing.

When do night ops start at the summit?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Paying close attention to what you are doing, what your tires are telling you and making subtle adjustments are your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    When do night ops start at the summit?
    here you go

Anyone in the Seattleish area have a kingpin jig I can borrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........