AT Boots for skinny ankles and lower leg?? Suggestions please.

I'm a 180lb male, 6 foot tall and keep searching for a good fitting back country boot. My forefoot is fairly wide, or at least normal for a men's 10.5 foot. My ankle and lower leg is very low volume. Super low volume. I've gone down the path of sizing way way down so the boot is snug around my lower leg, then work like mad punching and cutting to get the forefoot to fit. I got close with TLT's one season but the struggle to get there is a nightmare. I skied the Scarpa Maestrale and Freedom RS by gluing thick foam butterfly pads around my ankles. Not ideal but it sort of worked until it packed out.

I'd love to find a shell with a very low volume ankle. Does this exist? I've thought one of the new vacuum moldable shells might help, but hear mixed reviews when trying to decrease shell size. I've always thought that if someone made giant women's boots, a very large women's specific boot would be great. The boot needs to have tech fittings. Does not need to be super light, just fit well at this point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Atomic Hawx XTD.

Because of the heat moldable shell? Or fit out of the box?

Because ankle and cuff are very low volume. You can work the forefoot appropriately from there.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Atomic Hawx XTD.
    Agreed, nothing else with a walk mode comes close when it comes to low volume ankle and small circumference cuff.

X3 on XTD. Replace shit liner with intuition to fit needs and desires, Blow our forefoot as necessary.

You mention women’s boots, however, women’s boots are often wider than the equivalent men’s boot around the cuff. Women tend to have their calf muscles extend lower down the leg and thus need a wider cuff.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks, that Atomic Hawx XTD was not even on my radar. I'll hunt down a pair. On paper (screen) they look good.

I've read somewhere that the Technica Zero G Pro Tour is also narrow? I can't find any info on the heel/cuff specifically. Thoughts on this boot??

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    You mention women’s boots, however, women’s boots are often wider than the equivalent men’s boot around the cuff. Women tend to have their calf muscles extend lower down the leg and thus need a wider cuff.
    I did not know that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Preserved View Post
    Thanks, that Atomic Hawx XTD was not even on my radar. I'll hunt down a pair. On paper (screen) they look good.

I've read somewhere that the Technica Zero G Pro Tour is also narrow? I can't find any info on the heel/cuff specifically. Thoughts on this boot??
    Look at the thread on this forum.

Atomic Hawx XTD.
    Atomic website showing nothing larger than 29/29.5? https://shop.atomic.com/en-us/produc...ae0001058.html

goes all the way down to 24 and with memory fit and low volume ... this could fit me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I still felt like I was swimming in the Atomic Hawx XTDs I tried on. My local shop tech told me that 90% of his customers can't get their instep into the Salomon S-Lab X-Alps, but they fit my low volume ankle/lower leg and regular forefoot better than any AT boot I'm aware of.

Look at the thread on this forum.
    I found it using Google Advanced Search. Seems that both are similar, but I see some state that the heel/ankle of the XTD is more snug. Good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Preserved View Post
    Awesome boot, slightly roomier than the Hawx Ultra XTD everywhere except maybe the instep. Try one on if you can find one.

No... nothing fits like starting small and punching.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Fischer ranger free. I have chicken legs and ankles. Fit great out of box
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    X3 on XTD. Replace shit liner with intuition to fit needs and desires, Blow our forefoot as necessary.
    Based on my experience as someone with skinny ankles and lower legs, this appears to be the perfect solution. Just got size 26 Intuition Pro Tour LVs for my 26.5 XTD 130s and they fit great everywhere except for the toebox, where I'll expand them just a bit.

With Superfeet Blue footbeds, I was getting some instep pressure with the stock liners, but that's now gone with the Intuitions. Heel hold (which is excellent) seems about the same and will probably improve with the Intuitions after molding. The stock liner has a thicker, but not necessarily stiffer, tongue, but it's a low-volume cuff so no issue getting a good fit on my lower leg with the Intuitions. The Intuitions are also about an inch shorter in the cuff than the stock liners, but I don't think that'll matter for me.

A week later and I'm carpet testing a pair of Atomic Hawx XTD boots. They are snug around the ankle! Not easy to get into either for an AT boot. The stock liner isn't as bad as I expected. Thanks for the advice.