Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me keep my hands cold, looking for suggestions on gloves with waterproofing and

This is a weird one, but I have an issue with running too hot. I am to the point now I wear spring gloves year round (Dakine Crossfire) to keep myself from overheating, but they don’t do the greatest job of keeping my hands dry. I would love something super thin with a softer liner on the inside (think 3L shell with fleece in it and no insulation) I haven’t been able to find anything. Give me some advice and suggestions. I’m open to anything. As long as my palms won’t be so sweaty.

Buy a liner /shell combo and wear the shell?

Have you tried a wool lined glove or even a straight wool. They will breath and stay warm (enough) when wet.

I have crazy good circulation as well, not at your crazy level and I have noticed if I keep my head cool and vent my upper body my hands won’t over heat. Just an idea.

Haven't used it, but was looking at these recently for a different use: https://skimo.co/camp-g-tech-dry-gloves

Review doesn't love their durability, but it's just one dude so who knows.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Lightweight pigskin work gloves, snowsealed. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Gri...3-06/100538267

I'm similar and have been using Oakley Pilot MTB gloves for years.

I have a pair of the Free the Powder spring gloves. They seem nice but I haven’t had the chance to put them to use yet.

Sounds like you need something that pulls moisture off your skin and allows it to escape. Also, something with a cordura back that keeps your hands dry from snow or rain. I've been using Smartwool spring gloves for the past 2 seasons and they work well for me. Wool interior to pull moisture and cloth/cordura for breathability.

Several years ago I had a few pairs of Marmot spring gloves, back when they looked more like winter gloves and not the current gardening looking gloves, that were 1 size too big which allowed my hands to stay warm and dry. The slightly larger size was the ticket for helping the air flow, which kept my hands dry, and helped in keeping them warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    Have you tried a wool lined glove or even a straight wool. They will breath and stay warm (enough) when wet.
    Have not yet, but am worried they would get soaked too quickly, maybe I’ll give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I have crazy good circulation as well, not at your crazy level and I have noticed if I keep my head cool and vent my upper body my hands won’t over heat. Just an idea.
    I take my helmet off a lot and that seems to help, but the most uncomfortable spot is my hands even with it off.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Sounds like you need something that pulls moisture off your skin and allows it to escape. Also, something with a cordura back that keeps your hands dry from snow or rain. I've been using Smartwool spring gloves for the past 2 seasons and they work well for me. Wool interior to pull moisture and cloth/cordura for breathability.

Several years ago I had a few pairs of Marmot spring gloves, back when they looked more like winter gloves and not the current gardening looking gloves, that were 1 size too big which allowed my hands to stay warm and dry. The slightly larger size was the ticket for helping the air flow, which kept my hands dry, and helped in keeping them warm.
    The smartwools look pretty close to what I have been after. How do the hold up? Are they soaked after a couple hours of heavy wet snow? (We don’t get many dry days here, it’s always wet and warm)

I wear the wool lined Hestera Army Leather. On the wettest of days I throw an over mitt shell on. My hands were pretty happy all last year once I made the switch. I had been wearing a standard fleece lined, thinsulate, waterproof glove but a day of a lot of gloves off and on and wet gave me frost nip.

Here is my best advise: think layers for your hands just like the rest of your outer wear and shop for pieces that will go together. Lined, mid, over glove.

I have some BD Arc gloves, thinnest gloves I could find with a waterproof (BD dry) membrane.

Haven’t used them yet but feel like a winter mtb glove, which could be another way for you to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhiler17 View Post
    The smartwools look pretty close to what I have been after. How do the hold up? Are they soaked after a couple hours of heavy wet snow? (We don’t get many dry days here, it’s always wet and warm)

Smartwool's website has the updated version (PhD) of the spring glove I'm using, but the description is essentially the same. I use liberal amounts of snow seal on the leather parts and have a second pair of gloves to swap out, if the gloves I'm using get too wet.

The newer version looks like it has a more water resistant back, which is an improvement from the gloves I'm using.

have you looked at ice climbing gloves?

Reading through, I would think that winter MTB gloves or XC-skiing gloves, both designed for some warmth during high output/heat activities, may be the ticket. Auclair makes some nice ones:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5005-6...mmer-XC-Gloves

I have also had good luck with Eddie Bauer's "light" guide gloves:

https://www.eddiebauer.ca/product/gu...loves/71403223

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Lightweight pigskin work gloves, snowsealed. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Gri...3-06/100538267
    Snowsealed full leather work gloves + liners work alright. They can wet out though. Or maybe I'm doing the snowseal wrong?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Obenauf's LP kicks SnoSeal's ass

Waterproof, uninsulated, cloth lined... how about these? Dextrous as fuck.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Pairs-Ho...=fsclp_pl_dp_2
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

i also run hot AF. On all but the coldest days, i skin up bare handed then put normal gloves on for the down.

I would kill to have this problem. Fuck me, maybe this is why my hands get cold.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    i also run hot AF. On all but the coldest days, i skin up bare handed then put normal gloves on for the down.
    Pretty much me too. I wear thin wool or fleece on the up, just to protect my hands from a fall or blisters from the poles.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just checking in to say I hate all the people that have warm hands. Lucky bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Obenauf's LP kicks SnoSeal's ass
    Kenetrek was kicks Obenaufs ass. I don’t like the way LP leaves the leather sticky. On boots it collects dirt.