Fabric adhesive?

I think this was recently covered, but can't find it.

What's a good fabric repair adhesive/glue that withstands washing?

For what kind of garment?

Ski Bum Approved...........

Tenacious Tape is way better than duck/duct tape for shell repairs. For heavier fabrics, see threads re Aqua Seal repairs, with or without patch. Aqua Seal is amazing stuff. Options are expanded if you have sewing machine and the skills to use it. What works best varies per fabric weight, stretch or not and size/shape of tear.

AQS/seam seal/ shoo goo are all just liquid urethane in various consistencys and they work well to repair out door gear, i use alot of it for dry suit repair

It comes up often enough that I been thinking of starting the AQS thread
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That sounds like it. It's for a cheap ass bicycle jacket I bought over ten years ago, and the glue holding the shell to the liner around the pockets is totally gone. If I can glue it back, maybe ten years more.

sounds like a job for a sewing machine

Maybe

Fabric adhesive?

XXX is right. Worked great on a pair of shorts. The patch pocket was peeling off at the bottom. Better than the original seal.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Seam Seal ftw
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Bish's Tear Mender.

Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Tenacious Tape is way better than duck/duct tape for shell repairs. For heavier fabrics, see threads re Aqua Seal repairs, with or without patch. Aqua Seal is amazing stuff. Options are expanded if you have sewing machine and the skills to use it. What works best varies per fabric weight, stretch or not and size/shape of tear.
    For most of human history people sewed stuff by hand with excellent results. We have a sewing machine and in the past when I was too poor to buy gear I made it--packs, jackets, a sleeping bag. Still, by the time I get out the sewing machine, try to remember how to use it, adjust it to the right tension, stitch length etc I could sew the repair by hand and still have time to watch a netflix episode or two.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Still, by the time I get out the sewing machine, try to remember how to use it, adjust it to the right tension, stitch length etc I could sew the repair by hand and still have time to watch a netflix episode or two.
    That'd be user error. For starters, most people would do best setting up their machine for one thickness of thread and one needle. For outdoor stuff, V33 polyester thread with a #14 or #16 needle thread works well. V33 is significantly thicker/stronger than typical home machine thread, but works fine in home machines. Most home machines work fine with V46 thread (#16 or #18 needle) if you want to go a notch thicker/stronger.

Once you've settled on needle/thread, set the tension and forget it.

Stitch length takes 1 second to adjust.

Sewing machine produces a better stitch and it's faster. Your lack of machine sewing acumen has nothing to do with the equipment.
    Last edited by GeezerSteve; 11-05-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That sounds like it. It's for a cheap ass bicycle jacket I bought over ten years ago, and the glue holding the shell to the liner around the pockets is totally gone. If I can glue it back, maybe ten years more.
    I use one hell of a lot of AQS for repairs but that ^^ job sounds like sewing it would be a better fix, I have used AQS to glue the gortex pockets on an ancient Arcterxy beta shell but I am assuming this is a microft like breathable material so AQS is going to wick right thru, i have a needle and thread which i sometimes use to sew things and I have traded bike tuneups/ kitchen repairs with a women I know who has a sewing M/C

we had some gortex drysuits where most of the seam tape had fallen off, they had been using plasti dip which does stick and is water proof but this suit just had too much loose curly tape to deal with so when i pointed it out they told me to leave it, a week later buddy told me they fixed it by ironing all the tape back on the seams ...might work for ya ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Combo of the above suggestion should work fine, or fuck it, buy a better new thing with cool new tech.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    . . . or fuck it, buy a better new thing with cool new tech.
    and may God bless America!

I tried Tenacious Tape once and it didn't hold up at all, cracked and split pretty quickly.

Seamgrip is OK but I've had the longest lasting repairs with cheap hardware store urethane glue. EvoStik Serious Glue is my favourite over here, worked very well for me fixing tears and gluing reinforced cuffs back onto pants.

K Tape and Tenacious Tape both suck IMO. You can get a life time supply of sail/kite/spinnaker tape on Amazon. It is way better. As said, round the edges of the patch. In high wear areas, glue down the edges with AQS.