Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Audi E-tron

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I have driven both the X and the S, and would not own either. Best features are the light show gimmicks and the computer screen. Nice in a line, but handle like shit (IMHO). Some day, try taking an "S" turn at speed. Wait don't. My Porsche will run circles around both
    "What no one is quite saying out loud, though, is that a 1:21.49 snips a lifetime-like 1.29 seconds from Randy's recent lap in the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. The new time essentially matches a 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4 and even beats a former Best Driver's Car winner, the 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia (1:22.30). Until the new BMW M3 shows up, that perches the Model 3 atop the podium as the world's quickest sport sedan—at least around this track."

Model 3 performance version is worlds fastest sedan and has "LUDICROUS HANDLING": https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...ersion-review/

Sounds like this electric sedan will run circles around yer Porsche, for about half the price.

6spd or GTFO

Before everyone gets their panties wadded up for no reason, the debate is about an electric car handling like shit or not. With tweaks the article shows that they can go from average sedans to track brusiers. I and everyone here would of course prefer a Ferrari, Porsche, or M3 hands down.

I wonder what's more likely to return: 6spd avants or metal katanas?

-

Dear Schindler's Piste,

Your Cayenne S Fucking Sucks and if you don't think the future is electric, enjoy your steam engine.

Sincerely,

The Porsche 918 PHEV

PS: e-Tron stats are meh-city. Kind of a bummer as a long-time v8 s4 avant owner.

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    Dear Schindler's Piste,

Your Cayenne S Fucking Sucks and if you don't think the future is electric, enjoy your steam engine.

Sincerely,

The Porsche 918 PHEV

PS: e-Tron stats are meh-city. Kind of a bummer as a long-time v8 s4 avant owner.
    Reads remarkably similar to my '10 A4
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by shaft View Post
    Dear Schindler's Piste,

Your Cayenne [turbo] S Fucking Sucks and if you don't think the future is electric, enjoy your steam engine.

Sincerely,

The Porsche 918 PHEV

fifty

Right, can't wait for F1 to go electric. Bwahahaha
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3541.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	254881

Audi E-tron

I’m not enough of an autophile to really understand or care about what the best possible handling car is - I just want a fully electric AWD wagon w/box that I can drive loaded with 4 skiers and gear ~150 mile round trip in the mountains in the winter without range anxiety. I also want it at something closer to Subaru or Honda prices than crazy Tesla or Audi prices. I’m guessing this is maybe 5-10 years out?

Gas might be convenient for long trips, but with such a huge % of driving being less than 200 miles / day and with so many of my trips starting and ending at home, I’m hoping that electric will start to make sense quite soon for at least one of two vehicles.

I understand that. Subaru v Audi or Tesla....it just depends how luxurious you want to go, or how much comfortable performance is worth. I totally get the "electric subaru" route as a mode of transportation to get me to the grocery store, or doctor's office. I also understand ice coasters lusting for an electric Audi or Tesla. They would make nice rides driving from Manhattan to the Hamptons, or from suburbia to the city for a night on the town. . Living the mountain west, personally I just don't see the attraction. It is so easy to road trip 4+ hours. SLC-Vegas, Jackson, Moab, Telluride,Bozeman, Aspen, Napa, etc. These are all trips that I'd drive. Just my personal preference.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I’m not enough of an autophile to really understand or care about what the best possible handling car is - I just want a fully electric AWD wagon w/box that I can drive loaded with 4 skiers and gear ~150 mile round trip in the mountains in the winter without range anxiety. I also want it at something closer to Subaru or Honda prices than crazy Tesla or Audi prices. I’m guessing this is maybe 5-10 years out?

Gas might be convenient for long trips, but with such a huge % of driving being less than 200 miles / day and with so many of my trips starting and ending at home, I’m hoping that electric will start to make sense quite soon for at least one of two vehicles.
    I think you'll see this within the next couple years. The Model Y is still vaporware, but it is supposed to be a mid size crossover at Model 3 prices. FCA and GM have big-time full-electric and PHEV plans, and Volvo is already realizing theirs. You'll probably have to settle for a crossover or a GT thing instead of a true wagon.

Have you laid eyes on an Outlander PHEV? It's a damn good value for the money, so long as you are happy with a non-luxe interior. Obviously, it's not full electric, but if it gets your day care run done on electric power and only kicks the gas engine in on the weekend trip to the ski hill, that's not too shabby.

why build electric vehicles that drag around a ton of battery (or a half ton) for a small(er) number of long range trips? electrics great for short range trips, long range not so much. hybrid, partial, all are much better suited for long range driving. Toyota's investing a bunch in fuel cells. for short range urban driving china is selling a million (actual number) of small electric city cars.

Subaru is supposed to be releasing a Crosstrek PHEV (called the Crosstrek Hybrid, not to be confused to the old Crosstrek hybrid) around the end of the year. Will initially only be released in California-emission states (CA, CT, ME, MD, MA, NJ, NY, OR, RI, and VT)

https://insideevs.com/2019-subaru-cr...id-phev-range/

fifty

Right, can't wait for F1 to go electric. Bwahahaha
    Your wish = my command. In 2017, F1 added electric-drive regulations up to 80 bhp for 6.6s per lap of video game style "boost" via the new KERS/ERS regulations.

Cayenne S Turbo? Awesome! 918 PHEV is still about $800k faster, but I love your car.

I want to note that in 2013, I watched this board fawn over Audi/VW TDi as the environmentally-responsible way to still burn oil on the way to our diminishing snowpack. That argument sure didn't stand the test of time This thread feels markedly similar. You'll be happier, and so will your mountains, if you embrace fast-as-fuck, electric drive, cars and trucks. Don't take my word for it, ask Jones or POW.

Other random thoughts related to speed/handling/performance:
    -An all-electric car won Pikes Peak in 2018
    -An all-electric motorcycle did that in 2013 for 2-wheel class
    -The fastest production car 0-60 in the world is now, and will always be, fully electric
    -The Nurburgring time was crushed by a hybrid this year, and has been completely dominated by hybrid hypercars since Obama's first term. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWZci9dUROM

Shaft! You're damn right.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

That is a good point. Obviously, I think that gas powered version will handle better. While, I think that both these cars will handle adequately in relation to their speed, neither are sports cars. Audi's big wagon mistake was getting ride of the 2.7 liter twin turbo with a six speed. That unit was rad, and the top of the Audi wagon chain
    yea, they should bring back the 2.7
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

VW probably hid a 2.7tt in that "electric" car.

But electrics are the future. Gas guys are like the tele guys for skiing.

VW is making some big claims on their future EV cars and how they will be much more affordable than a Model 3 tesla. Hope it's true but they only have a couple options coming out in next 2? years.

Audi E-tron

Apparently I’m an outlier on this.
    I put money down for a reservation on one. Waiting for more info to see if I actually want it though. High $60’s after tax rebate for a slick, modern, comfortable, luxury vehicle is in line with comparable ICE vehicles.

I’m not a range fanatic. I’m not asking for 400 gazillion mi range, but my ~200mi, 3 1/2 hour regular road trip to the front range is not all that long and if i can’t do it in cold winter temps with heat or warm summer temps with a/c without anxiety or a recharge then its a non starter. In that case I’d rather have nice ICE for roadtrips and a cheap POS leaf/bolt for around town.

Only 124 mph top speed - who cares? No one is (or should be) driving that fast outside of a racetrack and this aint a track car.
    4000 lb towing - how many crossovers can do that these days anyway?
    Towing and track day car all in one vehicle - come on schindler.... you really using your cayenne like that??

I don’t care how revolutionary tesla s/x are there’s no way in hell I’d pay $100k +/- for one. Model 3, don’t like the stupid tablet dash, can’t even get one without paying up anyway so its moot.

Edit: Perhaps OT but I am somewhat irrationally interested in the Taycan so I hope it comes in at a price where I might actually consider it.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/ve...s/2019-niro-ev

It's a Kia... but it checks a lot of those boxes... they are coming soon.

I'm surprised Subaru hasn't dropped anything yet.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Apparently I’m an outlier on this.
    I put money down for a reservation on one. Waiting for more info to see if I actually want it though. High $60’s after tax rebate for a slick, modern, comfortable, luxury vehicle is in line with comparable ICE vehicles.
    Dude, the car is going to be awesome. Go for it! There are two stats which were a bit underwhelming for me:
    -Range seemed a bit low at 248. Driving highway speeds from Denver to Breck and back, over mountain passes, in the cold, that's likely closer to 200. Still seems like enough for your trip.
    -0-60 time is slower than the 2005 Audi s4 . 13 years later plus the torque of e-drive, and you're slower? wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    VW is making some big claims on their future EV cars and how they will be much more affordable than a Model 3 tesla. Hope it's true but they only have a couple options coming out in next 2? years.
    For those not in the know, a large chunk of the VAG dieselgate US settlement is going into the VW subsidiary "Electrify America." As a skeptic, I'm concerned that the play by VAG is one to install their own Tesla-style network of superchargers on city-owned properties around the US. This will allow them to meet their mandates for settling the cheating scandal, while at the same time using that money to build their own investment, which will act as a backbone for upcoming vehicle releases. They are using the current climate whereby cities really want to install electric charging infrastructure as a way to avoid paying leases to the taxpayers for those parking spaces. Read: gas station operator without the land ownership reqs.

Judging by the sheer volume of effort going into Electrify America, I'd be willing to bet VW will release 5-10 impressive electric options in 2021-2023. However, I agree with Muted that there isn't much on the horizon. Most likely: Porsche Taycan (Tesla killer), e-Tron Quattro (wealthy adventure-savvy grocery-mobile) and an updated e-Golf with, say, a 60 kWh battery giving 200m range? That is their stage 2, US e-lineup for 2018-2020 imho.

No matter what they release, you can guarantee things like the radio, window regulators, and door knobs will starting breaking at 100k miles, because VAG.

For those waiting for Suby to enter the plug-in game: the 2019 Crosstrek can plug in, but comes in at 148hp, even less than the prior model. Somehow it pushes a 1s faster 0-60 time than the previous model (9.2s vs 8.2s.) While the best ski car of all time, the 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, only had 71hp; anything under 160hp post-2010 is whack imho.

That said, still an exciting development and the Crosstrek PHEV goes 17mi on electric-only mode. Not a lot, but enough to get you from downtown Steamboat to the resort and back. Maybe they'll even let you park in "POW parking"

https://jalopnik.com/subaru-somehow-...ess-1830546745

Mitsubishi Outlander may have that beat.

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/outla...icle-hero-area

I'm on our dealers waiting list for the Porsche Cross Turismo. You have to be pretty far out to not see how this car kicks ass. There isn't a fossil fuel car I rather have than that.

Currently, I'm driving a BMW 5 series touring. Which is pretty awesome (and for some stupid reason, I think unavailable in the US). But this feels so ancient in comparison to what Porsche is coming out with these days.

We would like to have an electric vehicle as we both commute a lot for both work and play about 20-40 miles each way.

We both have free charging at work, I have Level 2 and 3 chargers.... our only hangup is we want a minivan or something with a 3rd row as our next vehicle.
    Our 2006 Jeep is getting long in the tooth and I don't love the 15.5 mpg from that hemi..

Our dream vehicle is an electric with AWD and third row seat..... I'm thinking we may be able to limp along for another year or so with the jeep... But I'm going to be bummed if the incentives disappear in that time.

I was checking out that plug in mitsubishi, which would check a bunch of the boxes, just not the third row.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com