Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Winter Van Camping Near Teton Pass

Snowpack pending, I'm considering spending a few days at Teton Pass at the end of the month, and would like to sleep in the van (for free).
    On the Idaho side, are forest service roads 229 or 330 (Mike Harris Campground) plowed? Is there around there spot there that can be reached with low clearance?
    Or maybe off Old Jackson Highway?
    This is all forest service land, but I can see officials being picky about overnight vehicles given the popularity of the area.

Any beta would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

I'm NOT a local to the area.

I would think that sleeping west of driggs, at a mnt bike trail head, would be fine.
    1) its lower so warmer
    2) no risk of being hit by a snow plow at night
    3) very few people so should be fine

I would also guess that any campgrounds are closed

Mike Harris has not been plowed historically, although they are ramping up the fat biking in that zone so this winter may be a bit different. You could potentially camp where they stop plowing in Moose Creek or I know people car camp in Teton Canyon, due E of Driggs

Thousands of ski bums have slept on top of the pass in cars. Best bet is to make the journey and discover for yourself...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Thousands of ski bums have slept on top of the pass in cars. Best bet is to make the journey and discover for yourself...

I have no issue with that, I just did not want a surprise tow
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

If it's snowing, the plow driver will call the sheriff and a tow for you.
    Not too many cars overnight on the pass. People start searching for late skiers...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    If it's snowing, the plow driver will call the sheriff and a tow for you.
    Not too many cars overnight on the pass. People start searching for late skiers...
    So it's not the place to be. Thank you!

Can anyone really be a ski bum anymore?

I can remember a couple times hopping in my car and driving all day and half the night, arriving at a resort parking lot sometime between midnight and 3am and sleeping in my car for a few hours before gathering my gear and heading for the base lodge. I don't think they allow folks to do that anymore. Parking on public streets overnight is usually not allowed, and anyplace that gets plowed can get you towed or buried. Campgrounds are probably the lowest cost, safe option.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

You can park overnight at TV, just keep it on the DL. No parking on town streets btwn. 2-6 am. Easy peasy parking in any business lot. TGRZ HQ is at base of pass. Park there and tell any complainers to GFT.

JH is easy. It's Wyoming.

You can park overnight at TV, just keep it on the DL. No parking on town streets btwn. 2-6 am. Easy peasy parking in any business lot. TGRZ HQ is at base of pass. Park there and tell any complainers to GFT.

JH is easy. It's Wyoming.
    Probably so for folks with local plates. Might be different for out of state vehicles.... especially if there's anything illegal inside them or on the people inside. Cops might turn what was a harmless fun trip in to an international incident costing ridiculous bail and fines to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    [URL="https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/322696-Can-anyone-really-be-a-ski-bum-anymore"]anymore?[/URL. Campgrounds are probably the lowest cost, safe option.
    There are no open campgrounds in either valley in the winter, unless we have zero snow on ground.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There are no open campgrounds in either valley in the winter, unless we have zero snow on ground.
    What about RV parks like Fireside?

I don't really consider that 'camping', as it's probably cheaper to get a room at motel 6.

Just park at the Aspens condo complex / market overnight... or better yet the Calico. It’s really not that hard...

Name:  wyo22tetonpasseast__article_portrait.jpg
Views: 2547
Size:  115.3 KB

haha that is hilarious w/ the tent
    yea int he winter we get tripped out if you see a car up there late night- who hasn't come back from their tour??
    If I had a larger driveway I'd let ya park here but agree with others that say calico or next to that is a vacant restaurant (The Roadhouse- at least for the time being so bet it works as a low key place to park and ski)

and also as mentioned above the winter is so cheap for lodging in town- just do that.
    Motel 6 is $69 a night int he winter and it's newish and pretty decent considering it's $250 a night in the summer lol
    skid luxury

I've had no problem vanning around the pass. We never stay up top, plenty of DL places to set up on both sides and my diesel heater likes being at as low of elevation as possible. We typically hit up various business parking lots, moving around each night. usually get woken up by a plow crew of some sort, they just clear right around the van. Smaller lots get cleared quicker/less heavy machinery so not as much "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP" Have never had an issue. Hit up the Jackson rec center for a soak and shower.

Targhee is allowing camping in the lower lot these days, not exactly close to the pass but legal. Could likely get away with it at the base of a place like Pole canyon, Moose Creek Etc.

I’d go for the Calico. Plow will plow you in if it’s snowing but no big deal. Good bar 100’ from your “hotel”! Almost like the 4 Seasons!

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    I've had no problem vanning around the pass. We never stay up top, plenty of DL places to set up on both sides and my diesel heater likes being at as low of elevation as possible. We typically hit up various business parking lots, moving around each night. usually get woken up by a plow crew of some sort, they just clear right around the van. Smaller lots get cleared quicker/less heavy machinery so not as much "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP" Have never had an issue. Hit up the Jackson rec center for a soak and shower.
    Legit ski bum stoke there. Good to know..

Easy peasy parking in any business lot
    Albertsons is a no go. Kmart is a no go. Hospital is a no go. Too many imperial entanglements. NO rodeo grounds...that invites police involvement for sure.

As Django stated, business parking lots and hotels are a give away. I’ve known numerous people who have camped in hotel lots indefinitely. The trick with the business lots is to have a 7 or 10 night sleeping schedule and stick to it and never park in the same lot two nights in a row. Stealth camping can be very easy.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Mike Harris typically has at least a couple two tracks laid down all winter over the bridge. 2wd drive van should be fine back there through Thanksgiving, and possibly longer, assuming it doesn't dump down low in the meantime.

Some guy camped out in a Saab 900 in the Taylor lot for like a month a couple years back, but now it looks like they might have shut that down after they wrote him up in the paper for being core. There is a big ass sign saying they'll close the lot for avi control now.

You should be able to get away with it one night at the coach, which is the only bar I would recco anyways for imbibing. Vill you'll be good for a night. The rotation guys have the right idea. You could get away with it in the parking garage also I would think also.
    Live Free or Die

Things that worked well for me in the past, may not directly apply here. Trail heads a drive outside of town are the best. No cops and warm up the car on the drive back. Watch for signs in business lots threatening towing. Money maker for some. Condos with open lots can be easy. In Jackson, I was looking at the parking garage down town as an easy mark. As always arrive late, leave early, leave no lights on.

Reading AR post above see he mentioned parking garage

They definitely look for and ticket for overnight 'camping' in the parking garage downtown, heads up on that. They leave you alone if you are in a $100,000 sprinter conversion van, though. Funny how that works.

I've got a spot that should work for you, basically right in Victor. Send me a PM if you're going to be around and I can send you details.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"