Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: G3 skins

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    who are these experienced reputable people?

I hear the Wasatch can be like this.
    Yup. There are some east coast hiking trails used for access (such as on Mt Algonquin in the Adirondacks, IIRC) that fall into a similar category as the too-steep Wasatch skin track. But, yeah, I wouldn't use BD Ascensions or G3 high traction skins if they were free.

I didn't realize G3 made a "grip" version.

From what I'm reading, it sounds as if the current BD skins (and G3 Grip?) glide as poorly as the Gold Ascensions from 10 years ago?

That was definitely too much grip for me.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

What's the beta on the new G3 skins though? I bought some Universal's but returned them because they were pricey and not urgently needed. Grip is definitely overkill, but what about the others in the series? Does the new plastic tip stuff work well? Is it bulky at all?

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    But, yeah, I wouldn't use BD Ascensions or G3 high traction skins if they were free.
    Open call to normal folks ridding themselves of completely useless high grip skins. I guess I'm an outlier who finds anything less than the highest traction skins almost completely useless in certain snow conditions and much more practically useful in most other condtions. I mostly solo, mostly yo yo ski tour, never kick and glide and rarely reuse skin trails other than my own. When working complex, convoluted terrain in snow conditions like loose facets on crust, hard slab, refrozen bombed out forest sections and firm spring corn, I can use all the grip I can get.

In fact I modded a pair of G3 high traction skins with lugs to provide even more grip for safer straight up the fall line skinning and steep sidehilling on spring refreeze and aforementioned refrozen bombed out forest zones of hell. They worked so well that i had to install another heel riser setting so that they go to 11. On planar slopes of last spring's refreeze, i could march up slope angles of up to 40 degrees with ice climber crampon'd foot like confidence of traction. It's a trip.

God bless high grip skins.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    What's the beta on the new G3 skins though? I bought some Universal's but returned them because they were pricey and not urgently needed. Grip is definitely overkill, but what about the others in the series? Does the new plastic tip stuff work well? Is it bulky at all?
    I’ve been using the new G3 Universals (or whatever they’re called) this year (~20 days touring). I don’t find any appreciable performance difference from previous Alpinist/Scala models. I don’t ever find them wanting for grip, though I’m usually breaking trail or following relatively fresh tracks, and when possible I’m all about setting an optimal track angle. Glide is adequate, and better than my touring partners, such that I’ll catch and often pass them when following on a downhill section. The plastic tip section doesn’t make any appreciable difference when skinning, and doesn’t prevent snow from getting under the skins and onto the glue, but I actually find it helps when folding them, particularly in windy conditions, and isn’t bulky in my pack. I’ve had issues in previous years with the durability of the glue, but it’s too early to tell with these.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    They're fine. The tip and tail clips work well. They have good grip and decent enough glide. The glue is new for this year so haven't had any issues so far, remains to be seen how they are in a year or so. I like the longer adjustability in the tail strap vs the BD's. I like the stickier glue vs the Pomocas.

I got some G3s alpinist pow+ for my lotus 120. They they deserve some praise because I been critical of G3 skins based on what I seen in the field and what many told me.

I am pretty reckless with my BDs. They are stored on the ski all year. Glue never comes off. When touring, often I leave them on the skis overnight in the cold. They never failed me. Meanwhile those with G3s have to keep them in their jackets sometimes.

The POW+ have a plastic sheet for the front part of the skin. I really dig it. Makes ripping the skins apart easy. Supposedly they to eliminate snow creep under the skin. Some snow got under the nylon but the skin never pulled off the ski. It should also improve glide.

Glide and grip. The glide is a few magnitudes better then my older BD nylons on my vectors. Surprisingly, my nylon BDs also glide better than my buddies brand new BD mohair mix skins. Maybe it's because my BDs are well broken in, and his are brand new. I imagined the mohair mix to glide way better but the G3 flies compared to them. Grip is good. Not as good as my BD nylons but well worth the trade-off. I pushed them on some steep hard crust and they were manageable. I'm not sure if these are improved compared to the regular alpinist but I find these are perfect for me.

Glue. I have not toured these G3s in cold temps, in spring temps the glue was great... but it's hard to fuck up skin glue in the spring. I left them in my top box for a week and they pulled apart nicely. The nylon tip and thick ribbon in the middle is a nice design that helps pulling them apart.

Pack-ability. They are considerably thinner then BD nylons. The nylon sheet further reduces bulk when packed. The nylon is a bit stiffer, so it's a bit uncomfortable to keep the skins in the jacket.

Hardware. The tip clips works as well as BD. The tail clip is way nicer. It keeps the extra strap flush to the ski. The clips also sit lower, which should prevent knocking them off when skinning,

Overall I am very impressed with them. I just hope the glue does not fail like I seen on so many G3s. These have a red plush and a black back. Most G3s skins I seen are the white with red back. Those are pretty shitty. Looks like there's a newer model with blue back. I know the color of the back color does not dictate what glue they have, but I wonder if they changed their glue and have something good going.