Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Studded fat bike tires

I bought a fat bike last winter to keep my lunch time rides going throughout the winter when it gets snowy here in Montana. It was a really nice way to get out and clear the mind and get a little more exercise during the dark months when it's harder to get excited to go outside before and after work.

A few times the road conditions were really slick and more than once I fell on icy conditions. I'd like to pick up a set of studded tires, but holy crap they are pricey. I may have to bite the bullet and pay it anyway, but I wanted to see if there were:

1. Any suggestions on which tires to keep an eye out for, and
    2. Anybody have any studded (or studdable) tires laying around unused for a decent price?

My bike can handle 5" tires.

Seth

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

what tires do you have now? I simply bought some grip studs and did mine myself. I bought both the real ones and the chinese copies, the copies..... don't bother with them. Get the real ones. Mine are in Surly Bud & Lou.

sent you a PM

I don’t ride much icy pavement, except this morning where studs would have been nice.

Studs suck when it’s clear and/or soft.
    Unless you have two sets of wheel, I don’t think I’d do studs.

Back in the BMX 70s days we tried to make our own studded bike tires to fool around on in the winter. Basically, drilled the old tires and put panhead bolts through the holes with washers and nuts to keep them from pulling through. We used the rubber from an old inner tube to line the newly studded tire covering the panheads so they didn't cut the actual inner tube. It turned out to be a lot of work for little performance improvement.. and as mentioned, pending disaster on non icy pavement. Way more sketchy to ride a vehicle with two tires studded on dry pavement than one with 4. Pretty sure nobody tries to ride an ice racing bike on pavement more than once..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I don’t ride much icy pavement, except this morning where studs would have been nice.

Studs suck when it’s clear and/or soft.
    Unless you have two sets of wheel, I don’t think I’d do studs.
    I'm in the same mindset. I ride my fat bike on groomed or packed down snow and occasionally use it on the dirt when its wet. No need for studs unless the sole purpose of your fat bike is hard pack snow.

Its also worth mentioning the absurd prices of studded fat bike tires.

Thanks for the input. The plan would be to swap to studs when we hit the winter months and back to regular rubber when we transition back into Spring. I'm not sure it justifies two wheelsets, but I think it *might* justify two sets of tires, although I'm in full agreement about the ridiculous price of studded tires.

I'm currently on Schwalbe Jumbo Jims. It's possible that just moving to a better snow tire would be a big improvement. I've seen articles on adding Grip Studs to Buds and Lous, but not to the Jumbo Jim. However, I haven't searched for that specifically. If they would work in the Jumbo Jims, I would be happy to use those for snow and get a better dirt tire like an FBF or FBR.

Seth
    Last edited by sethschmautz; 11-01-2018 at 12:36 PM.

Bah
    Get off my lawn

Studded my own tires in college

Short sheet metal screws. Put duct tape on the heads.
    Ride.

Rode stud tires before they made them.
    . . .

i saw an instagram of somebody doing that to motorcycle tires recently. he put them so densely it seemed like it would have to compromise the structure of the tire. like i would think a hard turn would tear the tire apart.
    Last edited by wyeaster; 11-01-2018 at 05:14 PM.

I ride tubeless, so had to put the studs in from the outside. Trying to keep the weight within reason too.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/f...u-img_1570.jpg

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/f...u-img_1571.jpg

studs are a really good idea on off-camber hard pack and ice. If you are in the fresh snow all the time it won't matter. You can also stud your boots for safe trekking, just put them in a place which doesn't interfere with pedals.

sorry i meant tear the tire apart

Wow. After doing a bit more searching it appears that there are several who have put grip studs and regular studs into Jumbo Jims. To be honest, I'm not crazy about that tire - it seems like there is a fair amount of self-steer - so if there is a good use for them (i.e. winter riding), I may give this a shot.

I have experience with 2 tires; Maxxis Colossus and Surly Bud/Lou. The Colossus had a massive self-steer issue, the Bud is not nearly as bad at low pressures. The Bud/Lou is an excellent deep snow tire combo, which I need riding in BCC and LCC. YMMV.

Just ordered some Vee Rubber, Snow something’s? Back here in NH, no studs, no go. I’ve tried to run without, for years now. No more. Too many freeze/thaw cycles and perma-ice bubbles. Some of the worst crashes I’ve had, were on grey ice that looked good to go. I’m thinking about riding more than skiing this winter. I really like bikes.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I rode my studded fat tires last year only a few times in mix terrain. Glad I had them as we got several icing events and it gave me peace of mind. I have a spare set of wheels they live on for winter.

They are fooking expensive but cheaper than a broken arm or concussion.

Bumping another old thread...

I don't have experience with any other tires but my new this year fat bike came with stud-able Vee Snow Avalanche tires, and I studded only the outer row (160 studs per tire, I think).

My theory is that if I run flat and straight or at higher pressures when I don't need the studs they won't engage... lower pressures, off camber, or turning and the studs should engage.

Knock on wood but I haven't crashed on ice yet... just deep snow where the studs do nothing.

Again I don't have a large sample size but I like the tires and they seem to roll pretty well, but they do get noticable self-steer when I'm at very low pressures (like sub 5psi).

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Keep us posted on how that goes. I ended up with a pair of Terene Wazia Tough 4.6s. Not light, but they have been really grippy. They have two rows of studs and I have no complaints.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Centre lugs are not studable, 2nd row are but I left them out, I studded 3rd row, 4th row are not studdable.

I just studded my Lous and they're perfect for my trails in Evergeen. Big improvement. Bergen has turned into smooth, clear zamboni ice over last couple weeks.

Used gripstuds and did the 2nd rows. Initially did every knob on front and alternating on rear but just went to every knob on rear. Lost a couple. You want to get them pretty deep into the knob.

I'm in New England so moar studs are mo bettah, especially down the middle on the front. Shorty's pattern would scare me around here, we end up with extended patches of super shine. Without studs in the heart of the contact patch I don't think the outer ones would catch enough in the event of insta-wipe out to keep me from going down.

I grip studded a Bud/Nate which worked pretty well, then I swapped out the Bud front for a 5" studded dillinger. Still using the studded Nate on the rear, the mega paddle knob action is good on snow.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I'm in New England so moar studs are mo bettah, especially down the middle on the front. Shorty's pattern would scare me around here, we end up with extended patches of super shine. Without studs in the heart of the contact patch I don't think the outer ones would catch enough in the event of insta-wipe out to keep me from going down.

I grip studded a Bud/Nate which worked pretty well, then I swapped out the Bud front for a 5" studded dillinger. Still using the studded Nate on the rear, the mega paddle knob action is good on snow.
    We have glare ice here right now too and I'm going to stud the 2nd row as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    We have glare ice here right now too and I'm going to stud the 2nd row as well.

Good call.

Now go ski some powder

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Good call.

Now go ski some powder
    I hope so... that storm is looking wet at lower elevations... I hope this works out.

Got 2 lous that are not worth riding in the summer, if there is any interest LMK and I will name a price

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

What are people using for studs? Is it really worth it to pay for these "crown" studs I've seen for sale?

Had a great ride on some trails in the city today but some side hill areas with natural springs were icy. I thought I'd be good with my tires and how I studded them but I was still sliding out a little.