Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Living Planet Report: 60% decline in mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians

good job humans!

The
    Living Planet Report documents the state of the planet—including biodiversity, ecosystems, and demand on natural resources—and what it means for humans and wildlife. Published by WWF every two years, the report brings together a variety of research to provide a comprehensive view of the health of the Earth.

We are pushing our planet to the brink. Human activity—how we feed, fuel, and finance our lives—is taking an unprecedented toll on wildlife, wild places, and the natural resources we need to survive.
    On average, we’ve seen an astonishing 60% decline in the size of populations of mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, and amphibians in just over 40 years, according to WWF’s Living Planet Report 2018. The top threats to species identified in the report link directly to human activities, including habitat loss and degradation and the excessive use of wildlife such as overfishing and overhunting.
    The report presents a sobering picture of the impact human activity has on the world’s wildlife, forests, oceans, rivers, and climate. We’re facing a rapidly closing window for action and the urgent need for everyone—everyone—to collectively rethink and redefine how we value, protect, and restore nature.
    “This report sounds a warning shot across our bow,” said Carter Roberts, president and CEO of WWF-US. “Natural systems essential to our survival—forests, oceans, and rivers—remain in decline. Wildlife around the world continue to dwindle. It reminds us we need to change course. It’s time to balance our consumption with the needs of nature, and to protect the only planet that is our home.”

https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/...et-report-2018

We are fucked.
    I gave my child a pile of shit to deal with...I'm gonna go ride my bike and sulk.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

We'll genetically engineer new species. 8-legged chickens and turkeys and such. Everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    We should probably stop making new people
    +1

if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

In regards to population control. Modern medicine is partly to blame, extending what would be otherwise full lives. Sure saves some young ones too, so. I've always said that I think, again, mother nature might help here. Plague and such. Yeah way too many people doesn't help the animals or the environment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Make up your mind Spook. You want to save the humans or not?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

can't sell used cars that sell themselves without wit and insight

We should start to breed with endangered animals to helps bring their numbers up.
    Maybe in Greek times that's why they had all kinds of weird half human being creatures

Man-Bear-Pig Now I get it
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    can't sell used cars that sell themselves without wit and insight
    Ban guns! Save the Humans! Wait...

That's killing the animals... Shit!

Humans are a parasitic creature. I don't understand your need/desire to save the human race. It's doing just fine.

We are like kudzu in the South.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post

I don't understand your need/desire to save the human race.
    this is the most honest thing i've heard from you that didn't come from carfax

I like to tell evangelicals that God is creating fewer hetero and more gay people to stop making so may new babies and take better care of the children hetero couples are either abandoning or abusing. Tell them all that Leviticus stuff was written when in the aftermath of The Great Flood when we needed to repopulate the entire planet hence the all sex must be for procreation and no messing with food they didn't know how to properly prepare and could be poison as such only made sense in that context and time period, no longer. Now we have the opposite problem with too many people so more gay people is God's solution to balance things back out.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Meh. We've been through this before (see: dinosaurs). Massive, cataclysmic shift in the environment and landscape. So it'll happen again with or without our help, except this time perhaps it's us who's on the chopping block.

Yet somehow, "Life, uh, finds a way." I wonder who's turn it will be next? Cockroaches? Crab people?

this is the most honest thing i've heard from you that didn't come from carfax

poor streatkred. it's not about saving the human race, which is not doing just fine, or the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

Crab people?

Crab metal

poor streatkred. it's not about saving the human race, which is not doing just fine, or the planet.
    Quiet Son. I've given out enough free carfaxes on here to equal your net worth.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Quiet Son. I've given out enough free carfaxes on here to equal your net worth.

it could be your measure of worth that interferes with your ability to reason and understand.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Earth human population 1978: 4.29 billion
    Earth human population 2018: 7.66 billion
    78.5% increase for us, 60% decrease for everyone else

We should probably stop making new people
    This got my attention so looked into it....of the new 3.4B people in those 40 years, 1/3 of them come from just India and China alone. Those tigers are fucked.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    In regards to population control. Modern medicine is partly to blame, extending what would be otherwise full lives. Sure saves some young ones too, so. I've always said that I think, again, mother nature might help here. Plague and such. Yeah way too many people doesn't help the animals or the environment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Guess it depends on your definition of modern medicine. The first world isn’t responsible for population gains. The third world is. Give girls and women education and birth control and the population stops growing.

6% consuming and polluting 7x their share by force is also a problem

Hey, Wy. How about your boys over in China? I know you're best buds with some of the local party leaders over there, so perhaps you can put in a word to ask them to kindly stop poaching endangered tigers and rhinos. From today's news:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b07427610ab6eb
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/29/w...w-nytimesworld

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Except life expectancy has rolled over despite 10x spend on health care.

it could be your measure of worth that interferes with your ability to reason and understand.
    I provide far more value to TGR than your finger pointing does. Keep fighting the good fight. Whatever that is.

There are some here who seem to think it's all OK and mostly manageable as long as there's still weed to smoke and beer to drink. And, I can actually kind of relate to that attitude since I feel so powerless to motivate energy companies and national leaders to do anything meaningful beyond trying to vote them out. Personally, I'd be way more worried if I lived closer to the coast. But, ya, I definitely believe my great grandkids might not be skiing this far south even up at 5,400 feet elevation..

Climate Change Deniers Present Graphic Description Of What Earth Must Look Like For Them To Believe
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!