Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on Prior Skis : Husume / Flute

I hadn't really followed Prior but Blister seems excited about them.

Has anyone been on the Husume or the women's version the Flute? Any feedback on the brand in general would also be appreciated.

I am looking for a wider daily driver for my wife and I would ideally like something that can be fairly stable through chopped powder and variable snow. I am trying to buy something that is either made in the states or Canada. On3P Jessi's are on the radar but more centered than ideal. The Moment Commander 168 is interesting as well.

Husume is a very good ski. I have only skied the carbon version, the non carbon is heavy as fuck.

Nice and snappy from the carbon but does descent in resort conditions too, not very chattery for a carbon ski.

Kind of a middle ground ski-not too turny, not too straight, not too stiff, not a noodle. Skis pow and soft snow well for 109, lotsa top rocker. I had the 188cm version and they are like many brands 190cm

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I hadn't really followed Prior but Blister seems excited about them.

Has anyone been on the Husume or the women's version the Flute? Any feedback on the brand in general would also be appreciated...
    Overall, Prior skis are pretty damn hard to find at cheap bargain prices, so that makes it hard to pull the trigger on Prior, when other mass-produced brands can be found more easily on clearance, or used, or whatever.

It's hard for me to know if Prior skis are what you'd like the most. And for skis in the range of 105-110mm width underfoot, I think I'm only good at advising the subset of people who care most about the power/charging attributes of such skis. (I think I suck at noticing/reviewing all the subtle attributes at slow speeds for this class of ski). But I will say a little sumpthin here anyway.

If you can get to Whistler, then demo Prior skis for like CAD$25 per day, which is a "secret" no-brainer for anyone who needs to rent any skis in the overpriced Whistler area. The only catch is: Prior's location is too far to walk from the lifts/hotels.

When Blister recently got excited about Prior models like CBC and Husume, all I can think is "Just wait until you try the Overlord." Overlord is fatter 117mm-ish underfoot, and its combo of charging & surfing just RULES---unless you somehow ruin it with a bad mount position, or by not detuning the edges near the rocker zones. Here on TGR, I try to hold back my praise for Overlord, so as not to come across as a biased fanboy---but I'm expecting Blister to eventually review a pair and validate all my praise for the Overlord. We'll see.

But when I tried the Husume, it didn't excite me as anything extra special---likely because:
    1.) I'm big & heavy, which affects my personal tastes for skis. So for a ski that narrow (~110mm underfoot), I'm too big to get good "sideways float" during smears, so I really prefer to keep that class of skis pointed along its trajectory, and in the end I prefer a heavier metal charger ski that is designed with an even more traditional aftward mount position. You might have different tastes---you might love the Husume and it's particular balance point along the scale between charging and agility.
    2.) Also, the pair I tried was way too sharp, and should have been detuned to better harness its potential to blend both locked-in edge carving & some fun loose pivoting/skidding.

So yeah, if you can demo it you might LOVE the Husume...or you might just say "Decent good ski, nothing spectacular"...but I doubt anyone would say "That sucked!"

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Haven't tried the husume but as above I've had an Overlord 193 quadglass construction for at least 6 years. Damp like a dynastar but easy lighter and more pop if that makes sense. Awesome in pow and equally good in heavy crud. Those that have skied the Husume have all liked it in the conversations I've had. Some of them were hacks some of them could ski well. I personally think the 188 husume would be a rad ski for every day or touring. My overlord mostly sees sled laps or 30cm plus days.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I've heard good things about the Overlord. I am mainly looking for my wife at the moment who is 5'5" and about 115lbs. I was looking at the 'Harmony' which is the women's version of the Overlord but the people at Prior were pointing me more toward the flute for resort use on average days. I think this might be mainly because of her weight, I'm always shocked by how much float lighter women get out of 105-110mm underfoot skis.

You've mentioned Prior, ON3P, and Moment. Are you in a location where she can she demo any of those skis before she buys?

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

I’m not sure of when Demo fleets will be around. We are in Front Range Colorado and I don’t fully know demo fleet schedules. I can make some calls.

The bigger issue is that I’m trying to make it a surprise Christmas gift.

I tend to take the perspective that with any good ski that somewhat matches someone’s style you can learn to ski them well. So between a Moment Commander 108 in a 168 and a Prior Flute in a 169cm she would likely really enjoy both.

But the prior. It will be a great Colorado ski. That and no one else will have a pair.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I agree that the Priors would be great skis and that the unique factor is cool.

More than anything my original post was asking for general brand feedback as I’ve never touched a pair. Everything seems to check out and at the end of the day it is about having something you are excited to go ski.

I skied the 188 Husume XTC at Whistler on a big demo day and thought it was clearly the best all-around ski of the 8+ I tried. Despite being light, it was quite damp and strong in refrozen spring conditions

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I have a pair of Husume 188. Great every day ski for resorts, though I pull out my QLabs more. Can't speak for touring. Great fit/finish, as good as any other brand.

I decided to quit putting it off and ordered a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Overall, Prior skis are pretty damn hard to find at cheap bargain prices, so that makes it hard to pull the trigger on Prior, when other mass-produced brands can be found more easily on clearance, or used, or whatever.

It's hard for me to know if Prior skis are what you'd like the most. And for skis in the range of 105-110mm width underfoot, I think I'm only good at advising the subset of people who care most about the power/charging attributes of such skis. (I think I suck at noticing/reviewing all the subtle attributes at slow speeds for this class of ski). But I will say a little sumpthin here anyway.

If you can get to Whistler, then demo Prior skis for like CAD$25 per day, which is a "secret" no-brainer for anyone who needs to rent any skis in the overpriced Whistler area. The only catch is: Prior's location is too far to walk from the lifts/hotels.

When Blister recently got excited about Prior models like CBC and Husume, all I can think is "Just wait until you try the Overlord." Overlord is fatter 117mm-ish underfoot, and its combo of charging & surfing just RULES---unless you somehow ruin it with a bad mount position, or by not detuning the edges near the rocker zones. Here on TGR, I try to hold back my praise for Overlord, so as not to come across as a biased fanboy---but I'm expecting Blister to eventually review a pair and validate all my praise for the Overlord. We'll see.

But when I tried the Husume, it didn't excite me as anything extra special---likely because:
    1.) I'm big & heavy, which affects my personal tastes for skis. So for a ski that narrow (~110mm underfoot), I'm too big to get good "sideways float" during smears, so I really prefer to keep that class of skis pointed along its trajectory, and in the end I prefer a heavier metal charger ski that is designed with an even more traditional aftward mount position. You might have different tastes---you might love the Husume and it's particular balance point along the scale between charging and agility.
    2.) Also, the pair I tried was way too sharp, and should have been detuned to better harness its potential to blend both locked-in edge carving & some fun loose pivoting/skidding.

So yeah, if you can demo it you might LOVE the Husume...or you might just say "Decent good ski, nothing spectacular"...but I doubt anyone would say "That sucked!"

good honest short review of the O'Lord... -also- good tip on the ride before you buy I believe out of Function Junction. Great bakery there. Would be a sin to miss it hah. Looking at the CBC but don't know what length in that style of stick at 167 5'11" plus gear. Have a couple of more directional sticks to play with already. Prolly just shoot the boys an email.
    and apologize Tailwind I will PM next time so as to not hijack the thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Skier View Post
    ...Looking at the CBC but don't know what length in that style of stick at 167 5'11" plus gear. Have a couple of more directional sticks to play with already. Prolly just shoot the boys an email...
    Yeah, not only do you have to forecast your favorite length, you also gotta choose between the lightweight "XTC carbon" version vs. the regular fiberglass version (a.k.a. "Quad-glass version", which is the version of CBC that Blister reviewed). The heavier construction is more stable at speed, but requires more input effort. For length choice on CBC, keep in mind the rec mount position is very close to center, which makes long skis easier to pivot than people might think...but if you choose too long, then the long tail back there might annoy some skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I decided to quit putting it off and ordered a pair.
    How did it work out?
    Can you compare the the flex to anything well known?

Can someone tell me which model these are and what would be worth? I'd like the challenge to get these mounted....

Name:  husume.jpg
Views: 2995
Size:  55.2 KB.

Had a pair of overlords like 12 years ago, maybe right when they started doing skis? They were great boards.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

So those would be prior overlord not husume?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    probably worthless feedback but... years and years ago I jumped on a pair of what may have been the precursor to the Overlord at a Sugar Bowl demo day... Was around 105 in the waist I think. I haven't been on a ton of skis but it left a lasting impression... really solid, damp feeling, I loved it. Seemed built like a brick shithouse as well. and I mean that in the most endearing way.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Can someone tell me which model these are and what would be worth? I'd like the challenge to get these mounted...
    So those would be prior overlord not husume?
    The graphics don't help identify the models of Prior skis, because Prior let's you custom order whatever graphics you want for every model.

Just measure the narrowest width underfoot. If it's 115-118mm, then it's an Overlord. Or if it's 109-110mm, then it's a Husume.

Hard to tell by the photo, but my pixel count says it's an Overlord. Not much resale value, because drilled 3-4x, plus your Overlord has the outdated tip design from before they started adding major taper around 2012.

I think I see Marker Jester holes in your photo. So I say re-use those holes by mounting an "old" Griffon/Jester DEMO binding, which will fit any boot size, then ski them inbounds to see if you like them...and also dial in your favorite mount position fore/aft on the Demo tracks. After that, decide if you want to try to squeeze more holes in there by mounting your favorite binding, or touring bindings, or whatever.

Overlords are great at making a lot of surface conditions feel much smoother, even your old outdated model. I like my old pairs, and every time I ski them, they make me REALLY REALLY want a newer pair with the updated tip taper...but I'm too much of a cheap-ass bastard to buy a new pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post

Pretty interested in their skis myself after reading through this thread and some of blister's reviews.

Too bad I don't see any US dealers on their page currently, and all their CA dealers seem to carry just snowboards?

Conversion rate to USD helps, but the additional $70 CAD shipping fee to WA adds to the feeling above. Don't know anything about the business of shipping, but makes me wonder how Kye Shapes up the road from them is offering free shipping throughout North America.

They do seem to post some sales and discounts here and there on their IG, which I'll just keep a close eye on for now...

Thoughts on Prior Skis : Husume / Flute

Before vitamin I sold me a pair of mantras (thanks again!) I was starting to save up for a pair of prior patrols. Seem very burly. I’m surprised that glen prior is not on this forum. He’s been active in the past on one of the tele-specific FB groups.

I have a new pair of 188 glass Husumes that I'm going to be getting mounted up soon. Will let you all know how they ski once I get them on snow this season.

Thx for the info. I been looking to try a pair of husumes. I'm still looking for a touring ski to fit between my spoons and vectors. Overlord are too big for what I want.

My wife has a pair of the women’s Husume’s (the flute). It took her a bit, and they showed up edge high which didn’t help, but they’ve made her a better skier and watching her style develop to match these has made it clear the skis intentions.

Slightly loose ski that likes to charge. Seems like and ideal touring ski for someone that wants to do more than dink around in the backcountry. My wife uses hers at the resort and really seems to enjoy them in most contexts. We have a few friends we’ve gotten on pairs for touring. At 5’4” and 115lbs the 169cm is a bit of work In tight spaces but she still seems to like them.

Thx for the info. I been looking to try a pair of husumes. I'm still looking for a touring ski to fit between my spoons and vectors. Overlord are too big for what I want.