Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Black Diamond Beacons

Are these just rebranded Peips?

I was gonna get my wife a DSP Sport as that is what I have and I like it. I notice BD is offering both brands. I am generally hesitant about first year beacons but if it just a different plastic box on the outside I could be convinced.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...safety-beacons

Difficult to tell from this, maybe give them a call. I share your suspicion of 1st year roll outs. On further exam, the BDs look like a differently branded version of the Pieps. If you like the Sport, it is still available. All the new Bells & Whistles on the Guide and Recon seem like they are a bit over the top.

Not a ton of info here, but it sounds like the guide is more of a rebrand while the recon is a bit of something different maybe?

http://blacksheepadventuresports.com...2018-ski-gear/

BD branded beacons are made by Pieps, which is owned by BD. BD bought Pieps GmbH in 2012. AFAICT, it was a stock purchase. Pieps GmbH continues to exist as a distinct entity. BD is the sole shareholder.

The chips in all current Pieps and BD beacons are likely the same, with some features not used in the lower priced (e.g., DSP Sport) models. (Compare Garmin, which uses the same chip in a various GPSr units.) It's possible that the switches and circuitry are a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    If you like the Sport, it is still available. All the new Bells & Whistles on the Guide and Recon seem like they are a bit over the top.
    The one thing in the Guide's favor is a 60M range vs 50 for the Sport. Agreed on not needing or wanting the bells and whistles.

black diamond or rather Clarus corp owns black diamond and Pieps.
    so yes it’s a rebranded pieps
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I was told at OR/SIA that they're just rebranded Pieps.
    This what I was told as well.

Can confirm: Same guts, different housing.
    Although I think the BDs will have easier firmware updates, bluetooth or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

The Pieps BT beacons (Powder, Pro, Micro)have bluetooth and upgrades via the app. Sport doesn't. Upgrades without going to a service center or shipping it or whatever would be nice.

I have had to send my DSP sport back twice to so I don't think they are the best durability. Their customer service kind of sucks. It is a nice beacon when it works though. First time the plastic piece holding the lanyard ripped off. Now the beacon will sometimes not turn on and blink rapidly on the top (faster than if it was transmitting).

Black Diamond Beacons

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    First time the plastic piece holding the lanyard ripped off.
    This happened to mine too. I was doing a practice search and let it dangle from the lanyard while I got my shovel ready and it popped right off. BD was quick to warranty replace mine.
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 11-13-2018 at 11:28 AM.

I take back what I said about their customer service, they rock but i'm sure are pretty busy. Since I was on my second pieps DSP sport they sent me a new BD Guide beacon and overnighted it so I would have it for thanksgiving. They are great.

I got issued a BD Guide BT last night. Haven't played with it too much yet. Box says assembled in Bosnia. It's a little clunkier then my old Pieps unit. Vbrates and beeps when you fire it up. I'll play with it this week and report back.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    I got issued a BD Guide BT last night. Haven't played with it too much yet. Box says assembled in Bosnia. It's a little clunkier then my old Pieps unit. Vbrates and beeps when you fire it up. I'll play with it this week and report back.
    My number one question is does the cord attachment seem beefier than on the Pieps?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    My number one question is does the cord attachment seem beefier than on the Pieps?
    Nope......

Played around with 3 BD Guide BT's tonite....and.....they suck.
    We were picking up signal at around 40 feet with the antennas aligned and less then that in worst case orientation. At 40 feet I could take my horizontal transmitting beacon that was just detected, turn it vertical and the search beacon lost it/it went out of range.
    Checked the firmware (v1.0) and it's up to date.

I'm calling BD tomorrow..... I hope I'm missing something here (repro'd it with 2 other people with the same beacons..)

We were picking up signal at around 40 feet with the antennas aligned and less then that in worst case orientation. At 40 feet I could take my horizontal transmitting beacon that was just detected, turn it vertical and the search beacon lost it/it went out of range.

I'm calling BD tomorrow..... I hope I'm missing something here (repro'd it with 2 other people with the same beacons..)
    Feet or meters?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Feet or meters?
    Feet. I tested this morning with my mammut and BD beacon and the BD beacon worked as expected. I'll get the other BD beacons this weekend and see if I can figure out what's going on.

That's kind of scary...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

not good

Feet. I tested this morning with my mammut and BD beacon and the BD beacon worked as expected. I'll get the other BD beacons this weekend and see if I can figure out what's going on.
    Any update on this? I got a guide last week during an RMA and haven't done extensive testing but seems pretty similar to the PIEPS that I returned. I have just done regular checks and not tested the distance. Honestly, I thought everything would pretty much be exactly the same as the PIEPS PRO so I didn't even bother testing.

Did a beacon check last week with my DSP Pro and had similar results and some other strange behavior as well. I thought it had bitten the dust. Then I turned off my phone and the beacon behaved normally, detecting my partners beacon up to 60 meters. New phone since last season. I've seen interference like that before.

We're going to get together this weekend and play with the units we were having trouble with.

I'm thinking it was the headlamps.... which I should know better. I was focused on my gps unit and phone f'n them up.
    I got a tip from a friend to turn on the audio if you have these issues and you can hear the interference.

Just got a text from my friend who did some testing, and was getting under a 30m range in worst case orientation.
    Last edited by sfotex; 12-12-2018 at 06:25 PM.

I'm thinking it was the headlamps....
    My headlamp (COAST) will make the AM radio sing when I get close. I have not tried it on my beacon, but will be doing so now. Thanks Den