Extreme Hound De-scenting

She done did it again. While on a walk with the missus, our hound found the most foul rotten-fish-through-the-ass-end-of-a-garbage-bear to roll in. The hound is a pleased as Paris with a new toilet water named after her. Us humans with somewhat more discerning but comparably inefficient olfactory senses are completely disgusted.
    The missus tried baby shampoo followed by a baking soda paste, but still the oils are pungent and easily transferable to whatever medium Lexa rubs against. NilOdour worked in the car, but I am game for trying most any formula suitable for the hound. Last time this happened, it took about 6weeks for the smell to subside standing within a metre of her. Lingering scents lasted through to her summer shed.
    Your recommendations, and humorous anecdotes, are requested!
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 10-29-2018 at 07:45 PM.

White vinegar

Last night mine got into it with a skunk. I could actually see the nasty stankjism. I didn’t expect much from the shampoo last night, but was hoping that today’s apple cider vinegar/baking soda/hydrogen peroxide/dish soap combo would tame the funk. It did not. I’ll try again with more vinegar tomorrow, but she’s about 200# and has a lot of surface area. We move to CO for the winter on Wednesday, 1200 miles in a pickup. We’re gonna smell bad.
    Good luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1540863105.780136.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	253090

Stank Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    White vinegar
    I came home at lunch to see Lexa being chased by the matron of the house, dressed in foul weather jacket, armed with a spray bottle of vinegar. Lexa was having none of it and treated the opportunity to stymie the alpha female of the house as a point of honour. Despite some limited success, the foul stench laughs.

Apparently, the substance was so advanced in its evolution that it was dripping off the hound, like something out of a Dr Seuss novel. And Lexa now is letting us human fools know her feelings are hurt.
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 10-29-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Sheer-Rocko View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1540863105.780136.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	339.3 KB 
ID:	253090

Stank Bernard
    Love it. Thanks for that!

If it’s oily or greasy, Dawn dish soap will break down the oils

Try Mature's Miracle.

give her a haircut.

Name:  37861.a.detail.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  11.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    buttermilk then Dr Bronner’s hemp oil soap
    Actually have some of the Dr’s peppermint soap. Might give it a go after the princess is down for the night. No buttermilk tho, and the store is closed.

It really isn’t her fault, she was thinking of us and our hunt. We ‘should’ be out at first light chasing suitable prey. But based on current TRG lexicon, I am a person who likes to hunt, not a hunter. And bears for backbacon substitute is passe these days it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    give her a haircut.

Name:  37861.a.detail.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  11.9 KB
    She is just getting her winter coat. Another reason getting it out is hard. Just getting a cleaning solution to penetrate the undercoat of a northern breed is a challenge, let alone reach the skin. Dunno how the putrid substance does it so well.

Maybe clippers if it was June....

a local bro/fish guide has his truck stolen and so I was talking to another fish guide/truck salesman bro saying its too bad chris had his truck taken

Buddies replay was that it looked nice from the outside but really it was a well abused fish guides truck

Chris had left his dog in that truck which got diarrhea and he never really got rid of that smell

he claimed for the truck on car insurance, claimed the tools the rods the reels everything else inside on home insurance

so he actualy did pretty well on the insurance claim

SO leave the keys in it somewhere sketchy with stuff you need to update anyhow and hope it gets stolen
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

or this

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Heh. Now if I can only find a way to justify why my chainsaw, mountaineering boots, ski boots, AK Launchers, iphone4, and 85L backcountry pack filled with essential expensive gear was in the wife’s elantra wagon!

The "or this" made me laugh. That dog actually seems to like the car wash. Both of my dogs love the lake but hate the bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Buddies replay was that it looked nice from the outside but really it was a well abused fish guides truck
    I read this and was reminded about my Grandpa's truck. He was a hunting guide in northern Sask and his hunting truck was an International Scout. There was no carpet on the floor, but it didn't matter. Every time you climbed into the truck in the summer, you would find at least one maggot crawling around.

I'm pretty sure he just hauled it away for scrap one day. Either that or it's out in the back 40, still rotting.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Attachment 253181 This stuff works way better than any of several home brew recipes we've tried. Works on skunk AND rotting carp!
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    ...the most foul rotten-fish-through-the-ass-end-of-a-garbage-bear...
    I am still trying to wrap my head around just exactly what this is?
    Was it an actual bear carcass?

And what about tomato juice/paste? I've always heard that's what folks use on their hounds after they tassle with a skunk.

(forgive me as I'm a suburban city slicker who has never gone hunting nor owned a dog).

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I am still trying to wrap my head around just exactly what this is?
    Was it an actual bear carcass?

And what about tomato juice/paste? I've always heard that's what folks use on their hounds after they tassle with a skunk.

(forgive me as I'm a suburban city slicker who has never gone hunting nor owned a dog).

As my wife describes this particular instance, it was some significant amount of slime, the odour of which resembles rotten salmon, but more complex in the subtle undertones. Rotten salmon on its own is pretty pungent, but this a whole other level of reek. And most of the dead fish are largely picked apart by scavengers already, with mostly just bones and skin remaining. Bears locally are getting into anything they can right now, there are other animal carcasses being dumped near town from the hunters, and the bear scat found now is not the firm kind from the summer when vegetation and berries make up most of the diet. While I did not see the bear actually make the deposit, it’s my best guess at the origin of this foul toxic sludge.

Despite a further wash with the Dr., the odour remains. So far have been unable to source that Natures Miracle locally
    Going to be interesting tomorrow night when the little gouls come out, and the fireworks go off. She usually spends the evening under our bed, but that will not be an option this year. She is also showing a bit of hurt at not getting her usually deep backscratch. Sympathy and disgust are strange bedfellows.

If you have a neighbor you hate WITH a hot tub poach that thing with your dog with a concoction pasted on the fur of dawn, baking soda, essential oil and pray. Splash around for 30 minutes rinse, dry and pray.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    If you .... pray. .... and pray.
    Exorcism, hmm. You might be on to something!

I think the key with cleaning the stank off of a dog is to let the mixture dry as much as possible before you rinse the dog. Let it rest a minimum of 20-30 minutes. Seems like it helps it bind to the offending substance and pull it off the fur.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryFunk View Post
    Attachment 253181 This stuff works way better than any of several home brew recipes we've tried. Works on skunk AND rotting carp!
    Yup. Use it on my cats when they get sprayed. Key is to not wet the animal but douse them in the product and let it dry so the enzymes can do their job. I keep a couple bottles on hand at all time. Order some up for next time you need it because there will be a next time.

They make a spray and laundry boost too which are great for pet beds.

Our lab used to love rolling in rolling fish she'd find at the beach. The Nature's Miracle dog and carpet shampoos and cleaners were the best we found.