Thule Lock Replacement

Deadbeat tenant abandoned a perfectly good Thule ski box. It has locks on both sides. I have the identical one, but it's all fucked up from driving it into the garage and it has gorilla tape holding it together.

I can drill the locks out i suppose. Are replacements available?

Thanks

PS: that ski box is why i'll never mount a bike on top of a car. It'd be a goner.

Pretty sure you can just order the keys from Thule based on the code on the tumbler.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Pretty sure you can just order the keys from Thule based on the code on the tumbler.
    This, however isn't there a special key that allows you to turn and extract the existing tumbler assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Deadbeat tenant abandoned a perfectly good Thule ski box. It has locks on both sides. I have the identical one, but it's all fucked up from driving it into the garage and it has gorilla tape holding it together.

I can drill the locks out i suppose. Are replacements available?

Thanks

PS: that ski box is why i'll never mount a bike on top of a car. It'd be a goner.
    What are the codes? It's always a long shot but I have a half dozen different keys floating around somewhere. Finding a match seems like winning the lottery but worth a shot.

Edit: Doesn't sound like a deadbeat but more like a dipshit. Free Thule box = score. Bedbug or fluid stained matress = deadbeat

Any local locksmith will cut keys based on the lock code. Last time I had 2 Thule keys made locally it cost $16

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Any local locksmith will cut keys based on the lock code. Last time I had 2 Thule keys made locally it cost $16
    Good tip. Avoid the shipping wait if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    This, however isn't there a special key that allows you to turn and extract the existing tumbler assembly?
    Yes. I have dummy keys to pull the lock cores if OP needs 'em.

Skeleton key will only work if they are already unlocked.

Sometimes you can go to a dealer and get it unlocked and get new keys. Our local 4wd shop has a ring of a hundred keys they can match. Then just order the replacements.

Thule use the same key blank as a Fiat and a locksmith might be able to help you, its even easier if you can get in the box to take the tumbler out

if you broke a thule box use adhesive backed drywall repair tape to tape the box togetehr from the inside and 24 hr epoxy slatehred over the tape will permanetly fix your fuckup

your welcome
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Take the number on the lock to any place that sells Thule, they will have a key for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    What are the codes? It's always a long shot but I have a half dozen different keys floating around somewhere. Finding a match seems like winning the lottery but worth a shot.

Edit: Doesn't sound like a deadbeat but more like a dipshit. Free Thule box = score. Bedbug or fluid stained matress = deadbeat

Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I'll get the codes off the lock and post em up.

I had to throw so much of his shit away, hours of labor; So while not a mattress, a time sink to collect the arrears and then get rid of his shit. He was a financial guy. Files with people's applications for retirement accounts, SS#'s, bank account info. He used to ski all the time, met a girl,...done.

Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I'll get the codes off the lock and post em up.
    If you could also post your address and when the box will be full of skis it would be..... Helpful....

Hope you have a shredder.

The key blank only works to extract the lock cylinder after it's unlocked (duh).
    Just call Thule and tell them the number. Or if you can really do it locally for under $20, fine.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I posted this before, about Yakima keys:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...or-Yakima-keys

Same seller has Thule keys too:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/202key/m.ht...p2047675.l2562

Much cheaper than buying the Yakima keys from Yak, and they work fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^nice. I will be using that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    If you could also post your address and when the box will be full of skis it would be..... Helpful....
    if short, beat-to-shit tele-skis are your thing, I'll trade you for a key to the box.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I posted this before, about Yakima keys:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...or-Yakima-keys

Same seller has Thule keys too:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/202key/m.ht...p2047675.l2562

Much cheaper than buying the Yakima keys from Yak, and they work fine.
    Perfect. Done. I may buy you fuckers a beer someday.

Thank you.

N154, I ski at Magic a lot, I'll leave the make and model of my car/truck./SUV/hybrid a mystery.

My $50 Craigslist ski box didn't come with keys. I ordered a set of new lock cores from Thule. They came with the skeleton key which worked to open and remove the old ones. Total cost was $16 INCLUDING shipping. Now all nice and new.. Also, when I got it opened there was a bike tray and the Thule crossbars inside WIN!!!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

if short, beat-to-shit tele-skis are your thing, I'll trade you for a key to the box.
    I'm callin' bullshit
    Name:  MMP 12-26-2017.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  67.6 KB

Is the box locked? If not, it should be easy, but maybe not. Currently, my Thule Box has one good lock and the other is missing. I bought 2 new cores. One the side whereto is no core, I tried to insert a new core with the skeleton key. I can't get the core to stay in. I see that that there is a small hole inside the lock compartment that must be at 6 o'clock to properly insert the lock. While I can move the inside mechanism, I can't seem to get it at exactly 6 o'clock to secure the lock. Very frustrating.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I'm callin' bullshit
    Name:  MMP 12-26-2017.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  67.6 KB
    i do love a "before" picture hahah

See you soon brother, gonna bring the puppy up for a hike soon. Kid 1 moving to W'bury too.

The mountain is super saturated right now, might want to wait a week and see if it dries out some. As always, if kid 1 needs anything, make sure he calls us. We're 23 minutes from H2Obury.

I was contemplating posting the "after" to cement your claim