Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

3 checked bags=$380

For a trip across the pond. If I'd booked on Norwegian (which I almost did since the face value ticket price is lower) it woulda been about $660. Last year every person got a free checked bag (economy ticket). Fucking airlines.
    [quote][//quote]

Would you rather pay more money for times when you don't use a bag?

Bags cost fuel. And overhead.

Next time - leave the sea chest at home
    ​I am not in your hurry

Or take the QM2. They have porters.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Jesus did you pack rocks? I can handle all my personal clothing needs for up to 1.5 weeks anywhere in a carryon. How long is this trip? Hotels have laundry and diy machines that don't take long at all. Pack lighter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Victim shaming!

I will say its annoying when I getting pricing of bags isn't built into search aggregators. Took me a while to figure out what was actually the cheapest flight for BBI-Euro and the need to check skis.

Bags, pfffft. Just spent 220 dollars for seat assignments to Europe. It's like blackmail. "Haha, you fat, stupid American, we thought you didn't want to sit in the middle for ten hours."

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Jesus did you pack rocks? I can handle all my personal clothing needs for up to 1.5 weeks anywhere in a carryon. How long is this trip? Hotels have laundry and diy machines that don't take long at all. Pack lighter.
    every jetsetting skier giggalo can pack light
    (1) insulated fartbag
    (1) tearaway merino wool farmerjohn underlayer
    (2) pair of ski socks (cuz the funk can build up)
    (1) pair of spiderman pajamas for more sedate encounters

Yeah the fees are aggravating but I see the need for some variable cost on them. But there's no reason they can't be more transparent about them.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Victim shaming!
    ha, I thought the same thing.

$380 is ridiculous.

and if everyone was a wiz packer and just brought carry-on (they charge for those too, sometimes), there wouldn't be enough carry on space, forcing some to check their bags. Being a whiz at packing light and telling others to suck it up and it's their own damn fault for packing heavy is comical.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Victim shaming!
    I laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

$380 is ridiculous.

and if everyone was a wiz packer and just brought carry-on (they charge for those too, sometimes), there wouldn't be enough carry on space, forcing some to check their bags. Being a whiz at packing light and telling others to suck it up and it's their own damn fault for packing heavy is comical.
    not if everyone packed what fit under their seat

who needs two pair of underwear anyway?

$380 is ridiculous.

$380 is $120 per person. That is $60 each way for a trip across the ocean. That isn't nothing, but it's not ridiculous. Otherwise they bundle it into the cost of fuel and operations for everyone, and voila, now your base tickets are just $60 more expensive each way.

If you are allocated and bring a carry-on, you may be forced to gate check it, but you're not paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    $380 is $120 per person. That is $60 each way for a trip across the ocean. That isn't nothing, but it's not ridiculous. Otherwise they bundle it into the cost of fuel and operations for everyone, and voila, now your base tickets are just $60 more expensive each way.

If you are allocated and bring a carry-on, you may be forced to gate check it, but you're not paying for it.
    we don't know how many people are traveling, just that 3 bags cost $380 RT. So $126+ for each bag. That sounds expensive to me. And yes, I know that you don't pay for the carry on that has to get checked, but you completely missed my point. If you're going to berate the OP for his failure to pack small enough to fit in an overhead bin, because the plane has to carry the bags and his bags cause extra capacity and fuel to be used, there's some hypocrisy there, as the plane is also not equipped to carry an overhead bin bag for every passenger. In other words, your overhead bin bag is also causing more fuel loss and you are also a bit of a free rider. But somehow you think you're better than him because the airline didn't charge you for your bag.

Regardless, it's nickel and diming people. Everyone hates the airlines for how they nickel and dime on everything, but somehow a few of you now have attitude about how the checked bag people aren't pulling their fair share or something? It's funny.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

...not everyone brings the same amount of stuff. there's a difference between "cleverly" mashing your oversized carryon in the overhead bin and just bringing less stuff (like one backpack, for example). though in the former case, I see your point.

personally I only ever travel in my ascetic monk's robe with an extra pair of sandals so it's never an issue

not everyone weights the same...they should charge per lb/kg of the passenger and their belongings at check in. Step right on up to the scale and then and only then will you receive your boarding pass. Then people would get serious about their true travel NEEDS.

I flew recently. They're also massively cracking on what counts as carry on size. Getting tough to bring boots on board in anything besides a bag that holds them nested with zero room for anything else.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    not everyone weights the same...they should charge per lb/kg of the passenger and their belongings at check in. Step right on up to the scale and then and only then will you receive your boarding pass. Then people would get serious about their true travel NEEDS.
    they could provide you a rental sweatsuit + treadmill in the event that you were only a pound or two over the threshold

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    ...not everyone brings the same amount of stuff. there's a difference between "cleverly" mashing your oversized carryon in the overhead bin and just bringing less stuff (like one backpack, for example). though in the former case, I see your point.

personally I only ever travel in my ascetic monk's robe with an extra pair of sandals so it's never an issue
    I know that. And for years, airlines gave you an allowance for checked bags, and charged if you went over it. Now they have reduced the allowance they gave (all the way to zero in some instances), simply based on where your bag can fit on the plane. And rather than object, or at least commiserate with the OP, I see people siding with the airlines. As if what they are doing is completely reasonable, because that darned heavy bag packer is ruining things for everyone! Except....

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    This is the logical extension of that indignation. And small people should not be paying less because they weigh less.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    they could provide you a rental sweatsuit + treadmill in the event that you were only a pound or two over the threshold
    but if they also gave you wings, would you take off?

we don't know how many people are traveling, just that 3 bags cost $380 RT. So $126+ for each bag. That sounds expensive to me. And yes, I know that you don't pay for the carry on that has to get checked, but you completely missed my point. If you're going to berate the OP for his failure to pack small enough to fit in an overhead bin, because the plane has to carry the bags and his bags cause extra capacity and fuel to be used, there's some hypocrisy there, as the plane is also not equipped to carry an overhead bin bag for every passenger. In other words, your overhead bin bag is also causing more fuel loss and you are also a bit of a free rider. But somehow you think you're better than him because the airline didn't charge you for your bag.

Regardless, it's nickel and diming people. Everyone hates the airlines for how they nickel and dime on everything, but somehow a few of you now have attitude about how the checked bag people aren't pulling their fair share or something? It's funny.
    I berated no one. In fact I expressed sympathy that it sucks trying to effectively price when such charges are not built in to search engines.

And yes, they are building costs of checked bag into most fares. Because on the whole more and more consumers are willing to pack lighter to save some dollars. The airline still charged me: it’s just in my ticket. And it’s smaller and means less need for baggage handlers.

People will continue to bitch about less and less amenities I’ve done no such thing here as you imply.. You don’t have to fly that way. There are plenty of nice options. But low cost tickets enable more people to fly.

Put in another context:

If you go to Taco Bell because you’re hungry and cheap, don’t expect table service ithout paying extra
    If you want table service while filling up your belly, go to a full service restaurant .

If you want a ticket full of amenities like checked bags, don’t book your international travel on a discount airline because it appears the cheapest.

When I fly I get 2 free bags up to 70lbs each, sports equipment is considered a normal bag.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    (1) pair of spiderman pajamas for more sedate encounters
    Why pack them? Just wear them on the plane. Comfy!