Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    A good friend of mine recently started a logistics company, Zonal Flow
    http://zonalflow.com/home
    He specializes in basically exactly what you're looking for. Backcountry skiing, away from lifts, off the beaten path. He takes care of all your logistics/lodging/etc. He's currently booked most of January but who knows, maybe there will be one spot drop out. Definitely worth reaching out to.
    +whatever for Charlie. Stellar dude, and in his element over there.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Holy shit, I didn't know that.

Good for him.
    You did know that he moved to Japan, no?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by skiinggirl View Post
    Yeah, it`s me... yep, "just" there, I figured it may be time to expand my horizon..... you been to Japan?
    Not yet. I can't get jimmy to commit, since he doesn't tour. I'll PM you.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Not everything related to your question but thought this would be a good place to give my two cents:

Japan has been experiencing exponential growth in the number of foreign travelers and the ski industry is no exception. The Japanese government was not prepared for this onslaught and currently its virtually the wild east in terms of the quality and diversity of backcountry "guiding" and tour companies. Many of these guides bring groups from overseas, while NOT possessing a valid working visa, have very little language ability, local contacts or rescue plans. If it's illegal to work without a visa in your country, why would it be OK here?

You may be well versed in backcountry travel, the leader in your group may be highly experienced, heck you might have even brought along your highly qualified guide from overseas...But is that really going to help you in the small window you may only have before things get a lot worse?

Unless a member in your group speaks fluent Japanese and knows the area you are skiing intimately (in order to help inform an outside rescue party of your whereabouts), you should be ready to perform self rescue. Can your leader speak Japanese? What if it's your leader that is the victim? Do you have the skills it takes to get everyone out safely?

Skiing with people you trust is important but knowing your environment is even more important. That is why we cannot stress enough the importance of hiring a local guide or at least skiing with a local you trust. It doesn't have to be us but we (for example) have a network of guides usually everywhere between central and southwest Hokkaido and have built one of the best in house rescue plans on the island. Do yourself a favor and hire local or make a solid plan for the worst.

Did you know that before you venture into the backcountry, you are required to register online with the police department? Make sure you do.

Also Very Important!!! Japanese get super pissed about parking. This is clearly understandable for the farmers who have to deal with this much snow everyday and you have parked on their property. What isn't so clear are the areas that look like pull-outs or parking spots but they are actually turn around spots for the large snow clearing machines. If it doesn't say parking, DON'T PARK THERE. By the way, it's actually illegal to park on the side of any road but many Japanese do when they go touring, use your head if you decide to and make sure everyone has their passports with them. If we do park on the side of the road, we like to dig out a parking spot. Next, and this should not be the case (and this is a part of Japan that sucks) but many people will shit on you because you are an outsider and not being Japanese is a dead giveaway. The so-called "locals" or people who have been touring or guiding in that area for a long time will look for any infraction possible to fault you, so please be sure to politely ask someone already there where to park and the lay of the land (if you can). Finally the cops and people lose it when foreigners (or anyone dumb enough) ski certain avalanche barriers (quite obvious as they run out to busy roads). There are plenty of places to ride em safely and out of site, you just need to look for them. When in doubt ask a local or come into the BDL for a beer or dinner and get the low down. We want to project a positive image of foreigners and keep people safe. Don't be Gary Gaijin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    I was in Japan last year for a nice family vacation. Didn't get in any skiing, however. That will be for another trip.

While traveling in Japan your smart phone is invaluable, so make sure you use it. Google Maps and Google Translate went a long way to helping us get around and communicate. They work very well. If your phone won't work on local networks you will want to rent a mobile wi-fi device once you land. They are cheap and will allow you to have data wherever you go.

As said above, Japan is very safe and the people are friendly and usually helpful. It is also very easy to get around as the train system is fantastic. Have fun!
    Feel compelled to say that Google Maps does not permit offline downloads for Japan. You need something like Smart Maps Offline.

For those who have gone and and attempted to be fiscally conservative, what kinda dough are we talkin here all things included?

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Low end $130 per day.
    Comfortable living $200

first trip was ~CAD4.5k including flights, rental car and gas between 4 for 2 weeks on the ground. So a little over 200 per day, not balling out, but also did a sushi train and ate at restaurants most nights...
    second trip was 3k including flights for 2 weeks, but had a buddy living here with a van we lived in and a buddy on the ground who let us crash for 6 days. Only 4 days in resort, the rest backcountry. This also included tolls and ferries from hakuba to hokkaido as it warmed up. Probably only ate at restaurants 3 times, mainly just 7-11 and hot chef. Though are some dirt cheap ramen places all over the map.

So.... i haven't been yer, but just based on booking plans and accommodations in advance, once you're actually in Japan it's a hell of a lot cheaper than most other ski destinations. I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'm thinking it was around 4200-4500 Can including flight, I spent whatever it takes, ate out every all the tome and I didn't find japan overly expensive
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Fuck, another Japan thread to subscribe to. Lots of good info in this one too. I'll be there in February. Seems like plenty of mags going this year.

Considering all your original post,

Take the bus or train from New Chitose Aiport to Mt Racey in Yubari.

More than enough terrain to keep you happy for 2-3 days while you get over the travel and get your powder legs.

It's a small lapping ski resort with a great vibe and little to no competition for turns.

See where the snow is falling.

If it's west then bus/train to port city of Otaru.

Base yourself there and take public transport to ski Otaru Tenguyama, Asari, Kiroro, Sapporo Kokusai, Sapporo Teine.

Take a trip to the Nikka whisky distillery in Yoichi.

Plenty of low cost accommodation and eating in Otaru.

If the snow is in central Hokkaido, then base yourself in Furano or Asahikawa. Day trips include Furano, Tomamu, Kamui, Asahidake (if it's bluebird and safe and you can tour to the summit), Hidaka.

Quote Originally Posted by pman View Post
    I took the leap of faith and signed up for a central Hokkaido tour with whiteroom Jan 26-Feb5th next year. I have never been with them so I can't say if they are good or bad personally they they have a lot of very good reviews. I completely understand the angst with random groups and people overestimating their skills as I have been skunked on some cat ski trip with "Experts" who can barely walk in ski boots let alone ride powder. I was lucky enough to pull 6 people together though which is the full group size while out. Looks like a pretty sweet lift accessed backcountry tour that is pretty flexible and just follows the storms. It is around $2700 USD for 10 days including a guide the full trip and everything else but lunch and dinner so not cheap but not bad either. Would be great to have another like minded person on the trip if interested.

https://www.whiteroomtours.com/guide...tral-hokkaido/
    I may look into this. I’m new to skiing, but have 200 days resort/backcountry (80% resort) in 2 seasons. Last season in Whistler, got up to 42k vertical feet in one day (like Squaw summit to base 10 times in a day) following my Canada buddy all over Blackcomb. He’s a 25 year Blackcomb local, and KNOWS the mountain.

Anyway, Japan may just be the right move to keep my skiing progression on the upward trajectory. Will book for early March if I jump in on this.

Flight not included, right? So upward of 5,000 US for a trip? What are you budgeting?

Excellent post. Tour groups sound nice, but going solo makes for more $ savings, so that means longer trip.

This may be a dumb question, but is Japan ONLY known for Japow?

Photos and ski segments from Japan never feature steep terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by Best Mexican Skier from Da South View Post

Not much in resort steep terrain in Hokkaido, lifetime worth touring.

any steep stuff is short and you get mega sluff buildup every turn.
    if its steep it doesnt accumulate much snow anyway, it mini-avalanches away while its snowing so you dont get any epic face shots later on.
    if you dont care about snow quality and only want steep then there are far better places to go. dont come to Japan, ski epic pow every day, but still complain constantly that its not steep enough. people really do! its like going to kfc and complaining that they don't have any beef.

Good to know. DEEP POW on mellow terrain is fun. Just trying to weigh pros and cons.

Right now, my mind is possessed by Spanky’s at Blackcomb. A real Black that fills in ever so nicely with pow.

Thanks for the info

...Right now, my mind is possessed by Spanky’s at Blackcomb. A *real Black* that fills in ever so nicely with pow.
    ^ Dat’s rayciss

Good to know. DEEP POW on mellow terrain is fun. Just trying to weigh pros and cons.

Right now, my mind is possessed by Spanky’s at Blackcomb. A real Black that fills in ever so nicely with pow.

Thanks for the info
    There's not much like Spanky's anywhere in the world, and def not on Hokkaido from what I have seen. Much of Hokkaido would be more akin to behind the 7th heaven reservoir and the solar coaster trees, but with waist deep snow on a regular basis...

I can find plenty of steep terrain here in California. I'll take the deep pow and refills, thank you very much.

You kidding, right?

Cali with the exception of 2 years ago is about as fickle and dry as a used to be smoking hot GILF.

LOL. Cali was my first love, but the crowds and lack of snow broke my heart.

I’m stuck in Mammoth til Feb 15, and just hoping she don’t break my heart again.

Now E Sierra BC with a good snow year is world class.

I think there's a real cool thread about that...
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Interesting.
    My problem with mellow pow is that its harder for me to ski, because I’m a fat Mexican newb.

I remember hitting Spanky’s 4 times + Bushrat off 7th in one day at Blackcomb. That days gives me the biggest snow boner chub in the world. I can handle it very well. But get me on mellow pow, and my fat ass just nose dives tips even on reverse camber skis.

You kidding, right?

Cali with the exception of 2 years ago is about as fickle and dry as a used to be smoking hot GILF.

LOL. Cali was my first love, but the crowds and lack of snow broke my heart.

I’m stuck in Mammoth til Feb 15, and just hoping she don’t break my heart again.

Last March in Tahoe was one of the best ski months of my entire life. The year before was pretty damn good. The year before that was average and actually kind of underrated. The 4 years prior to that sucked, but of course they did come after maybe the best season ever (10/11). Sure, there are crowds and they can be avoided by using a little common sense, especially in the backcountry.

That's all aside from the point, though.

Interesting.
    My problem with mellow pow is that its harder for me to ski, because I’m a fat Mexican newb.

I remember hitting Spanky’s 4 times + Bushrat off 7th in one day at Blackcomb. That days gives me the biggest snow boner chub in the world. I can handle it very well. But get me on mellow pow, and my fat ass just nose dives tips even on reverse camber skis.
    Amazing. Wider skis?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums