Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Summit and Eagle County Living

I've seen a couple of the "where to live?" threads, but was wondering if some updates might be in order. The special snowflake details:

Likely moving the family to Summit or Eagle county from Denver sometime late next year. I will likely need to commute to Denver once or maybe twice a week, so I need to stay in reasonable striking distance. I hear Durango and the like are great towns, but it's not gonna work for us.

Two young kids so schools matter. Want to avoid private schools if we can and save that money for college. Some sense of neighborhood also matters some; we currently have a condo in Keystone, which is great for skiing access but it feels a lot more like a resort than a living community.

Access to skiing matters, both backcountry and inbounds.

Access to other stuff is a secondary concern, but a bonus. Both things like mountain biking or Lake Dillon access, as well as access to a restaurant we can walk or easily bus to, ability to pick up a gallon of milk around the corner, etc.

Price: this isn't a money-is-no-object situation, especially considering the market, but we have some flexiblity. Let's call it up to $1m for the right place, for the sake of picking a big round number.

Where should we be looking?

Others can comment on the specifics in those counties but big picture wise I see it as follows:

Schools - Let the parents help you here but I think they are all "good enough"

Proximity to the ski area - Personally, this is not super important to me. Others disagree. Assuming you are a weekend skier family, make sure the logistics are good enough.

Commute - This is on you

Up valley/down valley - personal preference. Gypsum and Breckenridge are over an hour apart but both in your "Eagle/Summit" criteria. I think one of the best features about the I70 corridor is the ability to go west. Something to consider if you like warmer temps, the desert, Aspen, quieter areas. If you are an all winter all the time person up valley is probably your thing.

Budget - Sounds like you got enough but taxes, utilities, HOA, plowing, etc. can surprise people when they move to the mountains.

In that part of the world, I like Eagle but that is only really as a visitor.

We live in both, and prefer Summit for a host of reasons, some which might not apply to you. Sounds like you want to look into Summit Cove though.

PM sent with more info.

Personally, I’d rather drive a little further from Denver a couple of days a week, than have it close 24/7/365. YMMV.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...13993719_zpid/

This just came up in my neighborhood. It needs work, but that’s what the lots worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Personally, I’d rather drive a little further from Denver a couple of days a week, than have it close 24/7/365. YMMV.
    Actually that's just the thing, the mileage doesn't vary.

This just came up in my neighborhood. It needs work, but that’s what the lots worth.
    Wow there's a lot for sale around there.

1.3 million for a lot with shitty water and you can not even get your mountain bike fixed.
    Del Norte, 4 flights a day Alamosa to denver. pretty sure you can get water for a million. Kristi sports would love your business. New school being built right now.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Wow there's a lot for sale around there.
    Yep, if you win the lotto.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    1.3 million for a lot with shitty water and you can not even get your mountain bike fixed.
    Del Norte, 4 flights a day Alamosa to denver. pretty sure you can get water for a million. Kristi sports would love your business. New school being built right now.
    City water, 49 flights a day high season, with directs to nine cities, 3:15 drive DIA.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Yep, if you win the lotto.
    Coronado any different?

Coronado any different?
    The prices in that link were much higher on average than my hood. I was honestly surprised by how much stuff sells for there.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Those are the cheap places.

https://www.zillow.com/aspen-co/

Wow. This is just a random one: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...136_rect/7_zm/

Down from $25MM in 2015, just dropped it $3MM, and it's still $20MM.

And it's only one of what, dozens? Wow.

The average Aspen area SFH was well north of 7mil. Average.

Average price SFH in Aspen is about $1400/sq.ft.

Average townhouse/condo in Aspen is about $1600/sq.ft.

You can find houses in Aspen for ~$1.5mil., but don't expect a chef's kitchen, or high-end finishes.

I do love the way that Aspen houses long-term employees; otherwise, not many people reside there full-time. While the isolation may be a reason for some to live there, that, and limited shopping in town, is a deal breaker for most.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Yeah, it’s insane.

But all those empty houses are a huge economic engine and their taxes fund a really nice transportation system and an almost private school district, with its own chair lift.

They have a great model for a winter wonderland. If my wife wasn't still hung up on working, I would consider leaving P.C. for Aspen. I love the vibe of the town. Much better than P.C. ... Roots Rx doesn't hurt.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Frisco is probably your place for community or maybe Summit Cove.

If I were you, I'd either move all the way to Eagle or buy in Frisco.

Wow. This is just a random one: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...136_rect/7_zm/

Ok, I’m moving.

I was wondering why it's so cheap, well the interior made me throw up on myself. The kitchen is disgusting. Add about 250k to the price and you might be able to get started with making the place livable.

Got a funny feeling the windows are shit. The insulation in the place is non existent. New roof, heat system is shot. Other than that might not be a bad deal.

You have to wonder if the new tax law is a factor. What was once a tax Dodge (hey, wtf, who knows, accountants make their bones on this shit) is now no longer a write-off in this year's world.

I dunno, maybe it doesn't matter to people who can pay $20MM for a house.

I dunno, maybe it doesn't matter to people who can pay $20MM for a house.
    To a bunch of those people -isn't everything for sale for the right price?

edit: oops wrong thread nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    To a bunch of those people -isn't everything for sale for the right price?
    Ha, yeah, I had that said to me as I marveled at a certain RE market. It's a way of life.