Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What 2nd bike...? Hmmm

Good morning and Happy Friday SR community! About to finish grad school and I'd like to buy myself a 2nd bike as a present to myself because.... well, I'm kind of a child still. Regardless, I've always enjoyed having two bikes with my 2nd bike for the past 5 always have been a fat bike. However, I just could never get into the fat bike craze, I never loved how much of a plodding dump truck they felt like and eventually just never rode it. Not big into winter riding either, always find that I'd rather be skiing regardless of conditions. Sold off the fatties and currently on a Spot Rollik 557 which I really love but I'm really interested in picking up a 2nd bike becasue bikes are fun and variety is the spice of life! Ideally, I really like the idea of a 27.5+/29 short travel-ish bike while having both wheelsets. The way I'm thinking it, 29 would remain on for 80% of the year while I'd use 27.5+ for spring riding here in Rifle as the trails get super soft every year after the snow. By June, after the moisture has had a chance to bake, the trails get incredibly hard, firm, and fast. Anyways, with that in mind I've been looking at some bikes and was hoping to get some opinions out there if you are bored at work or home and would like to respond. Ideally would like to keep the price to around $3000 but could stretch to $3600-$3700 with a smart buy with the idea that I'd replace any low grade components over time. Another consideration is, should I look at hardtails and have my bike be a considerably different feel or stick with FS?? If location and skills matter in the decision, I do most of my riding on the western slope Glenwood Springs to Grand Junction and I'd consider myself an advanced rider. Can keep up with most anyone on ups and downs and enjoy all types of trails really; smooth, rough, fast, slow... Hmmm.... Here's what I've been looking at (and half the fun of this is just ogling over all kinds of bikes and dreaming):

FS:
    *Spot Mayhem (looks like I missed on Smmokan's deals)
    *GG Trail Pistol (demo'd one of these and didn't love it but I'm 5'7" and was on a M frame. I think it may have been too big. Love the company though)
    *Fezzari Signal Peak
    *Whyte S150 or their new 120 (no price yet and not 27.5+ but looks fun)
    *Pivot Switchblade
    *Intense ACV
    *Pivot 429 (2018 on sale at CC)
    *Santa Cruz Ht (2018 on sale at BC for $3199 plus 9% cash back through active junky)

Hardtail:
    *Ibis DV9
    *GG Pedalhead
    *Commencal Meta HT??

Appreciate anyone's thoughts, thanks much. Have a nice weekend everyone

Make your second bike very different from your Spot. I have a SS hardtail and a geared FS for example, (and a road bike). Some days I just don't feel like doing 5 miles of stand up climbing, some days I don't feel like I need the suspension or the extra weight, or maintenance, etc.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Have you actually ridden plus tires, and know that you like them? Given that you didn't like fat bikes, I don't think you would. I have a Chameleon as my second bike that I bought on plus and hated the feel. I've switched it over to 29 and it feels much better.

I share the pain on GG sizing. I'm 5-7 3/4" (I swear I'm freaking shrinking) and demo'd a medium TP also. It felt big, and high. Unfortunately, we're right on their breakpoint, so probably best suited for their small.

Another fun looking bike (but won't do plus) would be a Transition Smuggler.

GG sizing is shifted, which they'll tell you. If you typically ride a medium, you should probably be on a small GG. Check the geo charts and sizing recommendations.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

If your budget it $3ish grand that will get you decent alloy full suspension bike or a higher end hardtail. You've already got a full suspension carbon trail bike so I would go hardtail if were you. Ibis DV9 seems like a nice medium between aggressive trail and XC hardtail. A slacker, steel hardtail would also be a great second bike - check out what Chromag and Canfield have to offer (there are tons of hardtail options out there, these 2 just come to mind.) Not familiar with Commencal but I heard rave reviews of the GG Pedalhead.

Whatever you get make sure it has all the newest standards - boost spacing, threaded BB, dropper post routing, etc., etc.

Cool, appreciate the responses, everyone. I have not been on plus tires BUT the one time I did really enjoy the fatty was on soft, sandy soil which is why I think I'd enjoy the Plus in the spring here. Ideally, I'd buy the bike with a 29 wheelset and find a solid, budget friendly Plus wheelset before spring to use just here and there. Good call on the GG's. After riding a M Trail Pistol, I did pedal a small Smash around the parking lot and it immediately felt better. Wish I would've ridden a small

Build up a 29+ wheelset for the fatbike?

You'd still have enough $$$$ left to do up or buy a 2nd rig as well.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Fatty is long gone unfortunately

What 2nd bike...? Hmmm

You can get a Hal e bike from Bikes Direct for $3499.

You can try mine. I have to pick up a new sled from Kyle @ Rifle Motor Sports, Tuesday.

Appreciate that but not interested in ebikes quite yet

I really like the gg’s. At 5”7’ w a long torso I’d pick a medium but otherwise most 5”7’ would probably be on a small. That’s the crossover height for sizes. I’m still listing after a megatrail because it can be 150mm or 165mm travel, I’m not into 9ers , and all their bikes have dialed numbers for fun.
    That being said you may want to look at the devinci Marshall 29 that are currently getting blown out at a great price. Same frame can be 29 or 27.5+ , carbon and nice geo

Cool I'll check that out. Thank you! Has anyone been on a Transition Vanquish?

What about a Stache?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I’m looking to do the same soon. Went back to grad school at an older than most age, graduating in 18 months looking to add a second bike to go with sb5.5 which is love of my life. Agree with posters here; go hardtail for sure, personally I’m going HT 27.5+, steelie or alum. Basically want a mellow, less slack, hardtail that I can put mileage on/beat on in the winter/foul weather.

Haha, we're like the same person. 36 years old over here which is probably older than most? Before I actually start repaying my grad school loans, I should probably buy another bike lol

Pretty much my story to a T. Bikes come and go, the loans will always be there, that seems like a future self problem.

Anyone been on a Yeti 4.5c? Have a pretty good line on one in my price range. No 27.5+ convertible but seems like a pretty fast trail whip that'd be pretty different from my Rollik

I have an SB 4.5c. I also have an Evil Wreckoning. I love riding the Wreck but with the terrain here in Utah, the 4.5 definitely gets more use. I think it's a perfect xc bike for someone who rides for the dh. I have mine built up light so it's a completely different animal than my Wreck.

On top of the fact that it doesn't have much travel, it's a Yeti so it's a bit racey and not real plush. I've spent a significant amount of time on an Evil Following and while the travel is similar, they are totally different. The Yeti is a far better climber, but the Following was way more fun going down .

Cool thank you, that's just the type of bike diversity I'm looking for when adding a 2nd although my Rollik isn't necessarily burly. Thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    I have an SB 4.5c. I also have an Evil Wreckoning. I love riding the Wreck but with the terrain here in Utah, the 4.5 definitely gets more use. I think it's a perfect xc bike for someone who rides for the dh. I have mine built up light so it's a completely different animal than my Wreck.

On top of the fact that it doesn't have much travel, it's a Yeti so it's a bit racey and not real plush. I've spent a significant amount of time on an Evil Following and while the travel is similar, they are totally different. The Yeti is a far better climber, but the Following was way more fun going down .
    Sizing?? I'm a little concerned that I'm right on the edge of the small end of their medium sizing. I'm 5'7" and a half and the medium is recommended at 5'7"-5'11". After being on the small end of the GG sizing and not loving the Trail Pistol because it felt too big, that's my biggest worry. If you have any insight on that, I'd appreciate it

I'm 6'2" with a long torso. I ride an XL with a 60mm stem. It fits me great. Bike sizing is really personal but I would certainly think a medium would fit.

I originaly rode my son's 5.5 (he is 5'10") large and it felt a bit long, so at 5'8" 160lb I got the medium 5.5 and it fits really well
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pretty close to my size xxx-er, than helps alot thank you

I have a near new 2019 Medium Transition Smuggler I would make a deal on. Im the same height as you and it fits perfect.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8592223069918/
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Try to demo that Pedalhead. Super fun and complements an FS trail bike so well. Pretty great do it all geometry and the very low bottom bracket and short chain stay make it great for whipping off jumps. The rear end is pretty damp over rocks and it’s very fun and responsive on 29”. I’m 5’8” and I liked the medium with a very short stem, maybe it’s a bit aggressive though and small might feel more maneuverable ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell