Thread: Xt vs slx

Xt vs slx

I’m rebuilding a 1x11 for the first time and xt and slx look identical on the cassette with the exception of the finish. Anyone seen any difference in performance?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not as familiar with Shimano, as I've been running SRAM the last couple years, but usually the higher level cassettes are lighter weight and sometimes made out of more durable materials/finishes. The derailleurs themselves are usually essentially identical, within a few grams. Only exception is the super high end ones might have carbon cages. The shifters might be different in whether you can adjust the lever position.

If you're worried about weight, nicer cassettes generally are significantly lighter (~100g) but cost a lot more. The derailleurs usually aren't worth upgrading. The shifter only really matters if you're picky about having a perfect lever angle, or the crispest clicks.

on this, the listed weight is almost identical. I'm going to run by and look at them. I've always done xt or xtr, but here it looks the same and hence the question.

For the cassette, the difference will be mostly weight. Both will shift similarly. I don’t think there’s a huge price difference, is there?

The XT shifter is worth it over SLX. Much crisper. Shifter is even a good place to spring for XTR if you have the funds.

SLX derailleur works well. I have had mine for 2 full years. I think the XT jockey wheels run on bearings whereas SLX is on bushings, but either is fine.

Found a video comparing the SLX M7000 and XT M8000 cassettes.

XT has an aluminum locking ring. SLX has steel.

On the XT the 21T, 24T, and 28T cogs are steel cogs mounted on an aluminum spider and riveted into one piece. On the SLX these three are all steel, and are separate pieces with aluminum spacers.

Should be no difference in performance. Weight difference appears to be about 40g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC_gkh4uGto

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    For the cassette, the difference will be mostly weight. Both will shift similarly. I don’t think there’s a huge price difference, is there?

The XT shifter is worth it over SLX. Much crisper. Shifter is even a good place to spring for XTR if you have the funds.

SLX derailleur works well. I have had mine for 2 full years. I think the XT jockey wheels run on bearings whereas SLX is on bushings, but either is fine.
    $25-$30. not huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

On the XT the 21T, 24T, and 28T cogs are steel cogs mounted on an aluminum spider and riveted into one piece. On the SLX these three are all steel, and are separate pieces with aluminum spacers.

Should be no difference in performance. Weight difference appears to be about 40g.

Perfect!!! Thanks

Does XT still quadruple downshift and double upshift while SLX still does triple/single?
    I know the 2x10 stuff did that. No idea about 1x.
    Also, Shimano's 11-46t 11 speed cassettes seem to have weird gearing compared to everyone else's. Like, they just swapped the 40 with a 46 and there's a huge jump vs everyone else's 11-46 that has the gears spaced out better.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Get the better shifter

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Does XT still quadruple downshift and double upshift while SLX still does triple/single?
    I know the 2x10 stuff did that. No idea about 1x.
    I haven’t counted, but XT and XTR have multiple upshift whereas SLX has single.

I went from SLX to XTR 11 speed shifter on my own bike and, aside from the multiple up shifts, XTR is much crisper. The SLX paddles had a bunch of play before actually engaging to shift. I demoed a bike with XT and the feel was closer to my XTR than to SLX.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

Good info. Having those cogs on a carrier on XT instead of loose cogs also means less damage to aluminum freehub bodies.

Regardless of what you decide, make sure you check out Chain Reaction if you're going to buy Shimano drivetrain parts. I just picked up an entire XT drivetrain, including crankset, for just over $300. That's tough to beat.