Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rampage

2018 Rampage

Giggity

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/li...d-bull-rampage

New venue, all new lines hammered out of the rock, stoked to see what gets pulled off.
    Also (and not second in any way), I want to see everyone complete their runs and walk away.

Just tuned in. This venue is pretty nuts.

oh look it's both the hobbes!
    I like this new venue. watched the first few riders then had to go back to the office for a conf call.
    headed back now to watch. That Dwayne Johnson rock is HUDGE
    skid luxury

Liking the new venue too. Some good riding going on.

Well that was awesome. Riders going big for sure! Big fan of Adolf Silvas riding

Stoked for Brett Rheeder...

Bummed for Andreu Lacondeguy.
    Too bad he couldn't pull out the 2nd run towards to bottom, the top part was baller.

I wish they had a day or two of practice to dial in their lines. Would’ve been nice to see everyone have lap showing their full capability. Lunn in particular, sooo burly

Found time to watch it this morning. Great venue. Bummed a couple of the guys couldn't put together full runs. Storch and Semunk in particular - they're always contenders. And bummed Lunn wasn't able to put it together. His line looked rowdy.

But glad everyone came out of it more or less unscathed. Next year will be cool, with them taking the same venue and dialing it in a bit more.

I hadn’t heard if they’re using the same venue next year. Was guessing they were. Cool to see all those creative lines get nailed

2018 Rampage

The so called lilly pad move was cool, but the camera angles didn't do it justice IMO, but that's got to be a real challenge for the camera men/women because the lines were all new. If they are at the same venue again next year it will probably improve.

DTM and Sam have been down with the Utah grom crew since Thursday.
    Sam got to meet one of his favorites he watches all the time. They're at Grompage/Fanpage today where there will be A LOT of sending going on by both pros and little kiddos.
    Oh hey Nicholai!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181025-173209.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	487.0 KB 
ID:	252772
    you sketchy character, you

Right on^^. They’re not that far apart the way Sam is throwing down already. He looks stoked. Both do

Damn!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1303EAF2-C766-4114-A7BB-FC2BC2DD54D4.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	751.3 KB 
ID:	252777

That was one of the better competitions for a rampage.

I lived Andreu’s run

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

2018 Rampage

Maybe not the right thread, but I look at this as an outsider and I wonder:
    (1) about the ethics of making this venue in this place. It’s promoted as freeride but it’s highly constructed
    (2) how is the venue decommissioned (is it?)

That said, the riding is unreal...seriously talented riders

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Maybe not the right thread, but I look at this as an outsider and I wonder:
    (1) about the ethics of making this venue in this place. It’s promoted as freeride but it’s highly constructed
    (2) how is the venue decommissioned (is it?)
    They take down the structures and signs but most of the trails and features are left in place. Supposedly it's been on BLM or private lands and people go ride the old sites no problem.

I guess there's a significant amount of building and prep being done, but there's only so much that can be done with hand tools in a week. It's not like they're out bench cutting with dynamite and excavators. It's just a few trails out on a hillside in thousands of square miles of vast desert wasteland.

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...3743&pagenum=1
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comment...on_google_maps

No doubt the riders are total badasses, but this year the venue seemed to have a lot more sculpted lines than in the past. That said, there were no major injuries so maybe it's a good thing.

Winning line was impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    No doubt the riders are total badasses, but this year the venue seemed to have a lot more sculpted lines than in the past.
    That's an error in your perception then, aside from the very early days it's always been very sculpted. Which is not a bad thing, IMHO.

We've gone the last two years since the kiddo is obsessed. Honestly, while it's super cool to be there and experience it first hand, I don't need to go again. It's just not a spectator-friendly venue. Most of each run happens so far away from you, or out of sight completely, that you really need to go back and watch the replay of the webcast to truly appreciate what went down. With tickets now being north of $60, next year I might just send Sam with friends while I go ride for the day. YMMV, a bunch of people we know have been going every year forever with no plans to stop.

In the afternoon you can see some of the landings from Hwy 9, which is about 5 miles away. That's pretty insane.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Bummed a couple of the guys couldn't put together full runs. Storch and Semunk in particular - they're always contenders. And bummed Lunn wasn't able to put it together. His line looked rowdy.
    Very much agreed. Pretty wild to see Lunn roll up to that slot Fairclough hit and just say, "Nope, fuck this, I'm out."

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    No doubt the riders are total badasses, but this year the venue seemed to have a lot more sculpted lines than in the past. That said, there were no major injuries so maybe it's a good thing.
    About the same, if not less so.. the venues get a big build the first year then morph some (imo)...

Check out the top 3 runs from 2016.. more ridges to traverse, but just about all the hits are manicured to some point.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/rampage-2016-top-3-runs

I thought this years had less sweet spot. A few guys were off line by a foot or two and got into some soft sand and ate it.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Well that was awesome. Riders going big for sure! Big fan of Adolf Silvas riding
    Watched the first 1/2 or so last night and his run was the HIGHLIGHT...until the failed Superman. That guy is legit, for sure!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Watched the first 1/2 or so last night and his run was the HIGHLIGHT...until the failed Superman. That guy is legit, for sure!
    Local kid here did one of the urban DH races with Silva. Said it's pretty scary to watch him ride - he's just not afraid to go full send in sketchy situations. Sounds like he goes full send at the after parties as well. There were some notes from the commentators at Rampage about that as well - sounds like Silva was just teeing things up in practice in a way that had the other competitors nervous.

Fun to watch for sure, but he's either going to need to rein it in or I'm guessing his body is going to give up on him at a very early age.

Finished the replay over the weekend. Fairclough should have scored higher for sure, but how much higher I can't really say. Every run in the top 10 was completely bonkers.

Over on Pinkbike there is a lot of discussion over the scoring of Fairclough's run, and how to balance slopestyle tricks vs. raw sketchy lines when judging. It's interesting to think about the differences between freeride mountain bike comps vs. freeride ski comps, and the inherent limits of the former. While in skiing the natural progression is to combine freestyle and big mountain so that skiers are doing more complex tricks in bigger natural terrain. In biking you can't do this, because in order to do bigger tricks you have to have more groomed/sculpted terrain. So you inherently have a conflict between whether to progress with bigger tricks OR with gnarlier terrain.

Personally I like Rampage to more about the crazy terrain and exposure, so I'm a bit less happy to see the massive sculpted ramps and landings with hundreds of sandbags. Still pretty crazy riding though.