Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2018 Rampage

1. Super glad nobody got badly injured.
    2. Andreu is always amazing to watch.
    3. Brendog has always taken super technical, natural and difficult lines that just don't score well. It's too bad, but probably just the reality for him. I'm going to guess few competitors there could get down Brendog's line. He's basically The Man in my book.
    4. Bummed that Metailler just can't seem to find a way to showcase his skills at Rampage.
    5. Not knowing anything, other than Zink fucked up his shoulder before digging even began: Seems like maybe, just maybe, he gifted Kyle an extra build crew for the competition, knowing he would bow out at the last minute AFTER the dig was done. Maybe I'm wrong.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    5. Not knowing anything, other than Zink fucked up his shoulder before digging even began: Seems like maybe, just maybe, he gifted Kyle an extra build crew for the competition, knowing he would bow out at the last minute AFTER the dig was done. Maybe I'm wrong.
    He was hitting a bunch of the big drops and throwing cash rolls in practice. Sure seemed like he was planning on competing up until a bad landing the day before the comp fucked his shoulder even more.

Hard to believe he’d even try, considering how bad his shoulders been. That guy is a beast. The guy is fearless and no spring chicken at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That's an error in your perception then, aside from the very early days it's always been very sculpted. Which is not a bad thing, IMHO.

We've gone the last two years since the kiddo is obsessed. Honestly, while it's super cool to be there and experience it first hand, I don't need to go again. It's just not a spectator-friendly venue. Most of each run happens so far away from you, or out of sight completely, that you really need to go back and watch the replay of the webcast to truly appreciate what went down. With tickets now being north of $60, next year I might just send Sam with friends while I go ride for the day. YMMV, a bunch of people we know have been going every year forever with no plans to stop.

In the afternoon you can see some of the landings from Hwy 9, which is about 5 miles away. That's pretty insane.
    My first time at it this year, was amazing but definitely not like watching a football game or whatever. Binoculars were awesome to have (everyone around me was envious haha), and a well stocked backpack as the food vendors ran out of stuff. Not to mention how gross the portable toilets got as the day went on lol. All that being said I'd love to go again.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Not to mention how gross the portable toilets got as the day went on lol.
    Heh, about a dozen honey buckets for a couple thousand people. One of the kids in our group straight-up disappeared for most of the day. Turns out he managed to sneak into the VIP area. He said the toilets were the highlight.

Forgot to mention yesterday that Reed Boggs' open loop thing was pretty cool. Had no idea that was part of his line until I watched the replay. I'm pretty sure the live MCs never mentioned it.

I also liked how open beers seemed to be 100% ok, whereas at redbull joyride in Whistler there's cops and security putting a stop to it

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    I also liked how open beers seemed to be 100% ok, whereas at redbull joyride in Whistler there's cops and security putting a stop to it
    Could probably smell the weed miles away, too.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    WTF? it looks vertical ....but I guess grippy
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    WTF? it looks vertical ....but I guess grippy
    Brett Tippie is the much older Canadian Alex Honnold of mountain biking.

Seriously though, the dude is the grandfather of freeride.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Kyle Mears, same spot.

You know it's seriously gnarly when Kyle is going that slow.

Both guys are approaching 50 and still pushing it, good to see!

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    Brett Tippie is the much older Canadian Alex Honnold of mountain biking.

Seriously though, the dude is the grandfather of freeride.
    for sure. went to my first Rampage in 2003 I think, so I'm very familiar with him
    super dope that he is almost 50yo and still getting after it in that way too
    skid luxury