Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Seems like an abnormal number of lift issues so far this season. Perhaps with all the new lift construction in the off-season, maintenance of existing lifts got short shrift?

Todd, love the pic of the dude taking a nap on his board in the Peak line haha.

Agree about lift issues. Last week there was the Red/Garbanzo debacle (Creekside uploaders were told Red was down for maintenance so please go use Garbo.. except Garbo was closed for another hour+ due to maintenance). 7th start/stop/early shut-down yesterday (back-up diesel power?), Excal/Excelerator issues last week. Someone told me the reason Harmony wasn't run yesterday was maintenance related, who knows if that was true. The new gondola has gone down a few times but you have to cut them some slack as they sort out running a brand new lift. Odd coincidence for so many issues compared to most years.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    This looks fucking amazing.
    Agreed, well done, always great to get into Harmony terrain before the lift turns.

Must've been quite a sight from Red when Shale went...all the way back to November 3rd. Junior snowpack student question - since it went all the way down, is there a guaranteed bonding issue when it snows back on top of that surface? Or is this somewhat of a reset to give it a better shot of stability moving forward?

just back from our annual early season trip to whistler , after arriving to downloads and no low snow , things just got better and better , shame the avi conditions didn't allow us to get out and about as much as we'd have liked , but had a great time and made the most of what was on offer , hope the freezing levels stay low enough to make for a great xmas

Attachment 260755Attachment 260757Attachment 260758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H9LxwdBWRQ2pwVA636Wk%A.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	945.3 KB 
ID:	260762

Skied SE facing slopes off Blackcomb backcountry working benched terrain in trees from 2000 -1750m. Skies cloudy. Winds moderate atl and nil below. Ski pen 40- 55cms. Some sluffing but solar effect is nil. Temps held at -3 to -5 throughout day.

Saw (from distance) sz 3 NA running from Disease Ridge into BodyBag Bowl collection zone just downhill and skiers left of DOA entraining rocks. Perhaps cornice triggered? Looks like it scoured down fairly deep.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 12-19-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Love that last shot, Lee!

Some more Blackcomb neck deep

warmed up very quickly this morning, very windy, looks like lots of lifts on standby currently

30.8cms new! Pig Alley temps holding at zero. Looks like might make it again by the skin of our teeth

Woohoo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04789.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	260902

Last edited by LeeLau; 12-24-2018 at 06:05 PM.

top to bottoms back on tap, no line on peak all day, so good

How were conditions this week? Or is everyone staying away from the xmas crowds?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
    How were conditions this week? Or is everyone staying away from the xmas crowds?
    They’re probably skiing. Been getting texts from my buddy in Whistler. Blackcomb is going off!

what crowds? pre-christmas was an incredible week, great skiing, tons of snow, almost no lift lines. Got up late yesterday got some nice turns off back of Flute, SP is good to go, just a couple of crusty narrow bridge crossings, but skiable top to btm

Top of 7th Heaven:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7717-1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	261898

I really think the obscene day pass prices are keeping the numbers down for us right now. I bet there is a lot of fair weather skiers in town who would, in previous years, would have purchased a week long pass but are now being forced to buy tickets on the day. I think alot of them are shying away from storm skiing etc. Im not up there today, but looking at the app, the lines look non-existant. Im sure the skiing is decent too

Maybe the combination of lift ticket prices, pay parking, and hefty lodging rates have finally made people say "fuck this noise." It seems like there's got to be a breaking point somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I really think the obscene day pass prices are keeping the numbers down for us right now. I bet there is a lot of fair weather skiers in town who would, in previous years, would have purchased a week long pass but are now being forced to buy tickets on the day. I think alot of them are shying away from storm skiing etc. Im not up there today, but looking at the app, the lines look non-existant. Im sure the skiing is decent too
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Maybe the combination of lift ticket prices, pay parking, and hefty lodging rates have finally made people say "fuck this noise." It seems like there's got to be a breaking point somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    what crowds? pre-christmas was an incredible week, great skiing, tons of snow, almost no lift lines. Got up late yesterday got some nice turns off back of Flute, SP is good to go, just a couple of crusty narrow bridge crossings, but skiable top to btm
    I wasn't around for this week last season, but figured this would be when the gong crush started. Though, to your points...day pass price obscenity coupled with blackout dates for non-full epic/season pass holders, holiday lodging rates, etc. may all be contributing to light lines.

Whatever the reason, it's a good thing for all taking advantage. Serious Whistler withdrawal going on right know, by all accounts the mountain is in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I dunno there is still a shit ton of people in the village. Araxi taking 10:30pm sittings, 2 hour waits at mexican corner & sushi vill. Just less people on the mountain has been my experience, or possibly less vancouver day trippers.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    I dunno there is still a shit ton of people in the village. Araxi taking 10:30pm sittings, 2 hour waits at mexican corner & sushi vill. Just less people on the mountain has been my experience, or possibly less vancouver day trippers.
    yup restaurants are pretty busy. But just like year the crowds are going to the more known runs and staying away from the side-step here; traverse here; then straightline to drop in zones. It seems the day skiers are massively subsidizing the seasons pass holders. There is a separate TGR thread on that after all - this is fine by me

Only anecdotal from service industry types I've spoken to, but there's a massive jump this year in people coming up and taking up hotel rooms who have no intention of skiing. Peak summer room rates moved higher than peak winter rates for the first time this year, maybe a chunk of the non-skiing crowd is now figuring they'll come up in the winter instead of summer.

I know just as many people who switched from 10 day Edge cards to the Epic Pass and are now going a lot more, as I do people who've quit going up 3-4 days a year and buying day passes, and the highway doesn't seem any less crowded with day trippers. Not sure there's much reduction in day trippers.

Only Vail really knows though.

Anyone from the city want to carpool up tomorrow?

The tube park reportedly had an hour plus wait. Simultaneously, there was no line at Glacier chair. I don’t know exactly what’s going on but that sort of explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post
    The tube park reportedly had an hour plus wait. Simultaneously, there was no line at Glacier chair. I don’t know exactly what’s going on but that sort of explains it.
    Nuts!... Yet awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by eggsbenedict View Post
    Only anecdotal from service industry types I've spoken to, but there's a massive jump this year in people coming up and taking up hotel rooms who have no intention of skiing. Peak summer room rates moved higher than peak winter rates for the first time this year, maybe a chunk of the non-skiing crowd is now figuring they'll come up in the winter instead of summer.

I know just as many people who switched from 10 day Edge cards to the Epic Pass and are now going a lot more, as I do people who've quit going up 3-4 days a year and buying day passes, and the highway doesn't seem any less crowded with day trippers. Not sure there's much reduction in day trippers.

Only Vail really knows though.
    I spent a weekend at the Pan Pacific in mid December (during the massive storm cycle) and anecdotally based on seeing people checking in/out, the apres lounge etc. maybe half at most had ski gear or looked like they had any intention of skiing... the ski valet at the front desk had 3-4 pairs of skis in it Sunday morning. The majority of folks in that hotel on that weekend appeared to be Lee’s people, which makes sense when looking at tourism demographics. Walk up lift ticket is $178 + tax.

The 3 powder days I’ve skied so far this season (2 Whistler 1 Blackcomb), the line ups and competition for tracks have been less than last year and way less than say 5 years ago. Highway similar to last year (busy). I welcome these trends.